http://i34.tinypic.com/32zhv6b.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2i7mv4n.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/161kz8p.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/6pukhe.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/f4my48.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/2dv3i21.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/312brsw.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

SUBARU HYBRID TOURER CONCEPT (Concept car)

1. Concept

Subaru has condensed its DNA, developed over many years around the Subaru's core technology of "Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (AWD)" and "Horizontally-Opposed Boxer Engine", into the integration of a luxurious and high-quality cabin atmosphere and an eye-catching sculpted body. The concept car features Subaru's latest evolutions in handling agility, riding comfort and superior safety performance. It proposes Subaru's vision of a future grand touring car that excels in environmental friendliness thanks to Subaru's unique hybrid system.

2. Design and packaging

(1) Exterior

Subaru imagined wings with a feeling of freedom and confidence for driving far and wide in any environment. A luxurious and comfortable cabin, and advanced driving performance are contained within a sculpted aerodynamic form. The design features a combination of bright, open glass areas with a solid, reliable body.

(2) Interior

The original point of the ideal grand touring car is its interior design, featuring four independent and comfortably positioned seats. Passengers are enclosed within an atmosphere that provides a surpassing feeling of openness and stress-free reassurance, through the further pursuit of a human-centered philosophy, the essence of Subaru car design, and the incorporation of functions that are friendly to passengers.

The top of the dashboard is movable up and down to provide an optimal driving environment for the driver according to driving conditions.

A flat floor in the rear seat was achieved even with the implementation of AWD, for improved use and movement inside the cabin.

Specialized shielding is incorporated in the windshield to reduce eyestrain on the driver.

New leather covering developed with superior breathability and a ventilation function is used in the seats for improved comfort and texture.

3. Mechanisms

In addition to refinements to Subaru's core technology such as Symmetrical AWD and Horizontally-Opposed Boxer Engine, further enhancements were made for improved environmental friendliness, driving performance and high safety performance by offering a next-generation power unit system and advanced safety technologies.

(1) Next-generation power unit system

2.0-liter Horizontally-Opposed direct fuel-injection turbo gasoline engine

The Horizontally-Opposed turbo gasoline engine, with a reputation for powerful acceleration, is combined with a direct fuel-injection system for improvements in fuel efficiency and reduced emissions, and improved torque and response in practical range. This evolution in Subaru turbo technology excels in both environmental friendliness and engine performance.

Lineartronic (CVT)

Lineartronic, Subaru's new generation automatic transmission, achieves further improvements in both fuel efficiency and driving performance by reinforcing parts for use with the high-power output of a turbo engine.

Hybrid system

To further enhance the appeal of the Symmetrical AWD system, this unique hybrid two-motor system features a power/drive motor in the front and a drive motor in the rear.

• At start-up and extremely low speeds when fuel efficiency is low, such as when driving the car into a garage, the rear motor is used primarily to allow driving without utilizing the power of the engine.
  • During normal driving, the front engine is primarily used. The direct fuel-injection turbo gasoline mated with the Symmetrical AWD offers a whole new, Subaru driving experience.
  • During acceleration, the rear motor assists the driving power of the engine to achieve advanced driving performance.
  • Further, when accelerating uphill, the front motor, which is normally used as a power generator, assists to drive the front axle for improved performance.
  • The implementation of a non-idling function that stops the engine when the car comes to a halt reduces unnecessary fuel consumption.
  • The use of a high-performance lithium battery is based on experience and know-how achieved with the Subaru Plug-in STELLA electric vehicle, launched this summer. This includes the use of a precise energy management system and regenerative brake controls, for improvements in excellent fuel efficiency.

<Major specifications>

Length x Width x Height: 4,630 x 1,890 x 1,420mm

Engine type: 2.0-liter Horizontally-Opposed direct fuel-injection turbo

gasoline engine

Max output of Motor: 10kW (Front) / 20kW (Rear)

Transmission type: Lineartronic

Drive train: Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive with 2 motors assist

Battery type: Lithium-ion battery

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wowsers... it's sleek. I particularly like the hybrid/CVT tech. And it's great to see the CVT beefed up further to handle a 2.0L d.i. turbo. :) Lots of items that hold promise to make it into production very soon.

This is certainly no Prius!

Guest heightsgtltd

Looks cool. Esp. the headlights which are the correct continuation of the design language on the BL Legacies..

Too bad we know that something like this will never make it to production in JDM land, so the chances of it coming here via SOA are about as good as me buying a 2010 LGT :lol:

I doubt that'll ever see the light of day.

Cool looking though!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Gee.

Isn't it hilarious that the responses here, and the responses on Autoblog this morning...

ARE POSITIVE!!!!!!!!

The car looks good. Looks sleek and well developed. And people respond positively.

Contrast that to the response to the 2010 Legacy... :D

GET THE CLUE SUBARU!!!!!!!! LEARN FROM THIS OPPORTUNITY.

About the car itself...

Not bad. Lots of interesting touches.

Not a fan of hybrid drive, but that is the point of the concept, so it is in there... don't like the bit about the rear drivetrain being electric only, and not mechanically connected to the transaxle. That reeks of Faux-wheel-drive, or rear-wheel assist. I thought Subaru was past that, for the most part.

I like the gull-wing doors, especially for ones that are that long. They certainly wouldn't be able to open normally, they would be too wide, and far too heavy for a front-side hinge.

I like the smooth bodywork. I can even excuse the bread-van faux-5-door profile for the sleekness and clarity of the design.

-----------

But I would wish for a second bodystyle, a bit different.

-Slice some volume out of the roof, for a raked fastback coupe profile, with a lift-back hatch.

-Shorten the doors to a 2-door coupe length, and move the hinges to the base and the top of the a-pillars, turning them from gull wing, to butterfly doors (think McLaren F1), -add window-in-a-window, with the fixed upper window extending into the roof segments of the doors.

-Black out the rest of the roof structure above the window sill line.

-keep a traditional mechanical Subaru driveline, and ditch the over-complicated, heavy hybrid stuff.

Update the H4, H4T and H6 engines with direct injection, and valvematic variable event and lift system (a toyota technology... already in the family, so to speak...), and back them with the WRX STI's DCCD 6-speed, or a dual-clutch automated gearbox. No CVTs. No Automatics. DCTs have better performance and don't sap power from the drivetrain as much. Use second-generation SI-Drive to manage engine, gearbox, suspension, stability control, and other on-board control systems, to switch between efficiency, high-traction (slick road conditions), and high performance settings.

With it being a 2+2 coupe at that point... with W-I-W, and a blacked out roof... it would make a perfectly natural 2012 Subaru SVX 20th Anniversary re-introduction.

Guest heightsgtltd
They can't build this, the hoardes of ex-camry owners who are supposedly jumping ship to the 2010 Legacy (yeah right :rolleyes:) would be appalled!

Gee.

Isn't it hilarious that the responses here, and the responses on Autoblog this morning...

ARE POSITIVE!!!!!!!!

The car looks good. Looks sleek and well developed. And people respond positively.

Contrast that to the response to the 2010 Legacy... :D

GET THE CLUE SUBARU!!!!!!!! LEARN FROM THIS OPPORTUNITY.

About the car itself...

Not bad. Lots of interesting touches.

Not a fan of hybrid drive, but that is the point of the concept, so it is in there... don't like the bit about the rear drivetrain being electric only, and not mechanically connected to the transaxle. That reeks of Faux-wheel-drive, or rear-wheel assist. I thought Subaru was past that, for the most part.

I like the gull-wing doors, especially for ones that are that long. They certainly wouldn't be able to open normally, they would be too wide, and far too heavy for a front-side hinge.

I like the smooth bodywork. I can even excuse the bread-van faux-5-door profile for the sleekness and clarity of the design.

-----------

But I would wish for a second bodystyle, a bit different.

-Slice some volume out of the roof, for a raked fastback coupe profile, with a lift-back hatch.

-Shorten the doors to a 2-door coupe length, and move the hinges to the base and the top of the a-pillars, turning them from gull wing, to butterfly doors (think McLaren F1), -add window-in-a-window, with the fixed upper window extending into the roof segments of the doors.

-Black out the rest of the roof structure above the window sill line.

-keep a traditional mechanical Subaru driveline, and ditch the over-complicated, heavy hybrid stuff.

Update the H4, H4T and H6 engines with direct injection, and valvematic variable event and lift system (a toyota technology... already in the family, so to speak...), and back them with the WRX STI's DCCD 6-speed, or a dual-clutch automated gearbox. No CVTs. No Automatics. DCTs have better performance and don't sap power from the drivetrain as much. Use second-generation SI-Drive to manage engine, gearbox, suspension, stability control, and other on-board control systems, to switch between efficiency, high-traction (slick road conditions), and high performance settings.

With it being a 2+2 coupe at that point... with W-I-W, and a blacked out roof... it would make a perfectly natural 2012 Subaru SVX 20th Anniversary re-introduction.

you always seem to miss the point.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest heightsgtltd

to IWSS point, there has yet to be a single negative comment listed here. So much for the theory that there is always an initial negative reaction that improves over time :rolleyes:

More like, design something good from the get go and you will have positive reactions

[/b]

you always seem to miss the point.

Exactly what point did I miss?

I simply said I wished to apply these sleek aesthetics to a different sort of a car, by changing things shown on the Hybrid Tourer.

I didn't say that this car should be that car, I said I would want a different/additional car.

a non-hybrid sport touring coupe, and 2012 would be a nice occasion to re-introduce it as a new SVX, exactly 20 years after the first one was released for sale. BTW, I think the original concept SVX was shown at it's first auto show in late 1989, IIRC...

Maybe so.

But now that I own one... and driving it back to back with my newer Legacy...

I want a new SVX. BADLY. It is sleeker, quieter, has more options in some respect, but isn't quite as up to date in other respects... and it is just flat out a very nice car. A car that was built by people who wanted to build an interesting, high quality car, on purpose.

My Legacy feels like someone snuck a good car past the management, and out to the customers, while the bean counters were focused on their numbers and charts. It doesn't feel as cohesive as the SVX does. It feels like go-fast parts added to a normal car. Especially in the suspension department.

the 2010 Legacy has shaken my faith that Subaru is still that same company... at all, that put their passion into their product, as they did with SVX. And Subaru has more technical capabilities now than they did then. They have platforms that could be shared, rather than a unique chassis. They have engines and drivelines that are well suited, including manual gearboxes capable of handling turbo and healthy H6 power, which they didn't have on hand before...

This concept shows that perhaps there might still be a heart beating somewhere at Subaru. Maybe.

It is either that... or try to buy a Porsche Carrera 4S, and try not to go bankrupt with that car's care and feeding requirements.

I agree with you. Larger companies can re-launch fun cars that were cult hits back in the day. Hell, VW is re-launching the Scirocco for that purpose. They do have a bit more money than Subaru does though, and can afford and manage such risks.

Subaru built that cool little coupe 15 years ago, on average. That is a lifetime ago in the world of auto manufacturing.

Subaru would justify today that they offer the WRX for anyone looking for a engaging. fun to drive Subaru. Yes, it's an Impreza with go fast parts on it too, but that's what they'd reply with.

Isn't Toyota building a sporty coupe with Subaru? Or did that idea get the chop? It likely wouldn't have had an H6 in it which is what I understand that you desparately want.

Why should I? You aren't my mother, nor are you a moderator of this forum.

You push your agenda. Every time you post, it is SOA Sycophantism...

unless you are insulting other members, like me.

Why don't we get back on topic, talking about how damn insulting it is that after Subaru came out with the UGLY 2010 Legacy... to the effect of convincing some of us that they were incompetent at designing a good looking car anymore...

Then they add insult to injury, showing us this concept. Something that very likely won't make it to the sales floor, but actually shows that Subaru CAN in fact design a good looking car... they just refused to with the BM Legacy.

It is worse to think that the talent still exists, and is denied, than before today thinking that all the design talent was simply gone.

That is on-topic, right? It deals with the design of this Hybrid Tourer Concept...

why should i? You aren't my mother, nor are you a moderator of this forum.

You push your agenda. Every time you post, it is soa sycophantism...

Unless you are insulting other members, like me.

Why don't we get back on topic, talking about how damn insulting it is that after subaru came out with the ugly 2010 legacy... To the effect of convincing some of us that they were incompetent at designing a good looking car anymore...

Then they add insult to injury, showing us this concept. Something that very likely won't make it to the sales floor, but actually shows that subaru can in fact design a good looking car... They just refused to with the bm legacy.

It is worse to think that the talent still exists, and is denied, than before today thinking that all the design talent was simply gone.

That is on-topic, right? It deals with the design of this hybrid tourer concept...

omg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, then does that mean that you'll refrain from telling me what I should or should not talk about?

Contribute if you have something. I'll be glad to give you the latitude you would like to deny me. Or does one net-contraction mean you don't want to have a discussion?

On topic... this is way different than Subaru's Turbo Parallel Hybrid system shown in the B5-TPH. Could the fact that low speed driving is using the rear electric motor hint at possible RWD as a future alternative? With motors fore and aft going turning on and off assisting with the AWD, it shows that there possibly could be an all electric AWD vehicle. The next logical step seems to be electric motors in the wheels and ditching the drivetrain all together like the mitsubishi concept.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived