LegacyGT.com

'08 Outback radio installed in my '05 Legacy

tzdevil323

I just picked up my '06 Legacy GT wagon tonight and I'm already looking at potential modifications. :lol:

Would there be any issue with buying a US head unit for installation in a Canadian-market car? I assume the climate control won't be a problem since the dashboard head unit controls the units, correct?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just picked up my '06 Legacy GT wagon tonight and I'm already looking at potential modifications. :lol:

Would there be any issue with buying a US head unit for installation in a Canadian-market car? I assume the climate control won't be a problem since the dashboard head unit controls the units, correct?

You may run the risk of picking up only American radio stations. :spin: JK

Welcome aboard!

You should be OK. I believe the HVAC control unit is what generates the numbers, so the UOM should be in C, not F.

Think the Body Integrated Unit (BIU) actually determines C vs F as the climate control is integrated with the radio. That is the reason why we are able to install the JDM Double Din conversion faceplate and get F, not C on the climate controls.

I believe the HVAC control unit is what generates the numbers, so the UOM should be in C, not F.

Think the Body Integrated Unit (BIU) actually determines C vs F as the climate control is integrated with the radio.

You're both correct. The BIU determines the units (miles/km and F/C). But the car's "Auto A/C Control Module" actually generates the numbers. The control module is hidden behind the dash and is the part that is connected to the air mix door actuators, A/C clutch relay, blower motor speed, etc. The "A/C Control Panel" (part of the OEM HU, or the JDM replacement panel) simply displays whatever numbers the A/C control module sends it.

• 10 months later...
Ok quick question, Im getting a 07 headunit and using the h621sxa200 ipod kit. Would I be able to use Pandora/Slacker Internet radio with this setup? I imagine I could just would control the skip and everything on my iphone? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Bringing this dead thread back to life! So what would it require in order to let the aux input work is if it were stock on an 07-09 aside from drilling the hole in the armrest console?

I hesitate to ask but have you actually read through the thread?

-r

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to add, in case someone is interested, that I got radio from 2008 outback with dual zone climate controls, but my 2005 outback only has single sone (one temperature setting) I was worried that this would not work, but it did, the driver side temperature dial and temperature indication on the display just dont work, but the passenger side does all the job.

Thanks for great description on how you did this upgrade, it inspired my to go to used car parts sale and buy my a upgrade on the head unit, I am am now happy being able to play MP3 cd's.:)

• 1 month later...
I just wanted to add, in case someone is interested, that I got radio from 2008 outback with dual zone climate controls, but my 2005 outback only has single zone (one temperature setting) I was worried that this would not work, but it did, the driver side temperature dial and temperature indication on the display just dont work, but the passenger side does all the job.

@skrani- What are the model numbers on your original radio and the newer one?

I'm guessing your original was GX-201xx, and the new one is GX-204xx (where "xx" varies depending on country).

Hello: I hope you can help me. I have been following this thread for a while and I am finally looking into replacing my radio. I'm a 60-year-old woman who does not fix cars. But possibly I can do this myself. I'm good af fixing things. But i find conflicting information, and I'm confused by the posts. I have a 2006 Legacy Outback with 6 speakers. I have the radio with AM FM and CD. 6 CD changer. I would like to have sat and aux

1) I want the satellite radio to work. Do I need the Satellite Module, which costs an extra $300 (assuming I can buy a radio on Ebay). Will it really work in my car? Some sources say no, that the older cars don't work this way. But this forum seems to say yes.

2) Assuming the radio can work, how do you hook up with Sirius? I assume there's a serial number on the radio that you can give to Sirius? (We currently use a portable radio hooked up to FM. We would change over the subscription.

3) I also want to use the auxiliary capability to plug in an iPhone. Where do these players get plugged in? I just don't see anything?

Please help! Thanks!

1) I want the satellite radio to work. Do I need the Satellite Module, which costs an extra $300 (assuming I can buy a radio on Ebay). Will it really work in my car? Some sources say no, that the older cars don't work this way. But this forum seems to say yes.

You have a few options here...you can go with the factory sat radio kit or (assuming you already have a xm car kit) can hook up your existing xm tuner to the aux in you plan on adding. XM car kits are under $100 with better controls and a nicer screen than the factory interface provides (you can also use them with a desktop dock at home). Pac-Audio makes iPod (30 pin only iirc) interface kits and HD radio tuners as well. The Pac-Audio iSimple gateway hooks into the Sat input of the 08 head unit and provides an additional 3.5mm line-in which could be used as a dedicated input for your xm tuner.

2) Assuming the radio can work, how do you hook up with Sirius? I assume there's a serial number on the radio that you can give to Sirius? (We currently use a portable radio hooked up to FM. We would change over the subscription.

I would recommend the car kit over the Subaru kit. The display, controls, and versatility of the newer Sirius kits are far better than the factory kit.

3) I also want to use the auxiliary capability to plug in an iPhone. Where do these players get plugged in? I just don't see anything?

I purchased the 08 center console box, aux pod, and impreza aux kit to keep a factory look...SVXdc makes break out wiring adapters for the aux input and can probably provide you with multiple options for making this a simple addition. Some other users have run an aux cable to the center console or glovebox instead of the costlier factory kit. For reference, here is a pic of what the factory kit looks like:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC08028.jpg

When you buy the radio make sure the seller ejects all the disks before shipping it...it will most likely ruin the cd changer if it is shipped with the disks still loaded.

Please help! Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. I am still unsure, however. It sounds like you are recommending the Sirius radio car kit over trying to run Sirius radio through the car's radio.

I have had a Sirius radio car kit for 10 years. It works fine, but it is ugly (sitting on dashboard) and it is hard to see the channels and change them from the driver's seat. I have always wished I could just change the channels using the existing car radio.

You seem to be saying that the car radio screen is less satisfactory than a Sirius car kit. Is that what you are saying? If so, maybe I should just not bother with this whole operation . . .

The factory kit will allow you to change channels from the head unit but the screen will not display as many characters as the Sirius kit...if this even bothers you (my head unit with the iPod kit cuts off the end of most song names). The xm kits come up on eBay every so often for around $100...sometimes with or without the antenna. Here's a guide for the install.

I have a parrot hands free kit mounted on a panavice adapter for a cleaner look. I also have a proclip phone cradle and mount on the center console. Either of these (the proclip IMO being better) would provide you with a cleaner place to install a newer Sirius kit if you decided to go that route.

I am sorry to keep bothering everyone, but each time I get an answer, some new terminology is used and I'm not sure if we're referring to the same things.

I have what I call a Sirius car kit. This is a separate radio that I purchased at Best Buy when I bought the car and had someone at Best Buy install for me. They wire it somehow through the radio, and I have to tune to 88.1 FM to play Sirius. If I want to play FM radio, the Sirius radio must be turned off. I really would not be unhappy with this if it were easy for me to reach over and change the Sirius channels. Maybe, as you are saying, there is some other mounting device I could buy. That would be closer to the driver's seat. The Subaru dashboard slopes down a lot and really doesn't lend itself to alternative placement.

You are talking also about buying a "newer car kit." What would that accomplish? They seem to be the same as the one I already have.

Then you mention something called a "factory kit" and a "head unit." Can you define? To me a factory kit would mean a substituted Subaru radio with the Sat/Aux feature. Cost, around $300 if I buy it used on eBay. Then I would also have to buy a "satellite Module." Also around $300. Is that what you mean by "factory kit"? What is a "head unit"?

If I would have to spend $600 plus installation to receive Sirius radio directly through the stereo system, it may not be worth it.

Would you be open to talking to me on the phone about this if you cannot answer these questions? I am just getting more and more confused about how people have installed these devices and how they are using them.

Thanks!

Or anyone else who can answer would be helpful.

Sent you a private message.

If I recall correctly, the Sirius kits have a line-out that can be directly wired through the aux-in of the radio. It sounds like you are running it through a FM modulator.

Yes, Headunit is the factory radio/hvac combo and the factory kit is Subaru's xm kit. The radios come up here on the for sale section for around 200-300. The Subaru xm kits come up used on eBay for around $100 (There is one for sale on eBay for $100 without the antenna right now). Some of the recyclers (quality parts yards) will ship the xm kit with the radio but that's a crapshoot...I purchased an 08 radio from a recycler and they shipped it with the xm module attached...and CD's loaded unfortunately.

This is the mount I am using to hold my phone (not my photo). Larger passengers will occasionally bump it, but it's solid. I don't remember the dimensions of the Sirius kit but I think you could mount it here if this position is convenient for you.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/general-discussions/159937d1428702700-gear-shift-console-removal-proclip-001.jpg

• 3 months later...
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse but, I recently upgraded from a 2001 LL bean Outback to a 2005, I have ordered a 2008 HU but seems its not 100% plug and play. I have emailed SVXdc but seem to have issues getting an email thru or some other technical difficulty. Id love to get a breakout adapter for it as I do not feel comfortable cutting wires myself for I am a huge klutz. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok thanks i guess I'm a little antsy. I saw these posts were years old. I found a good deal On a head unit and was hoping I'd have it when it came in the mail so I only had to take apart the dash once. I love my newer ride and can deal with listening to cds for now. Thanks for replying. Also if I install the 2008 it seems I can hook up a GROM box and also get Bluetooth? Anybody have any input on this?

Archived