LegacyGT.com

'08 Outback radio installed in my '05 Legacy

tzdevil323

I am finding this two years after you posted it. I hope you can help. I have a 2006 Outback, and we want to replace it with something that has a satellite radio tuner. Our current radio looks exactly like your original. Our Subaru dealer says he will install it if I come up with a used radio.

So if I find one with the part number you mentioned, it will be the right one? And it has a complete setup for the HVAC? They just would pull the old one out and put the new one in? We would not care about the iPod player that you installed.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why pay the dealer to install? Its easy. Find a local member and give them $25 for their troubles. Youll save prob $50 and theyll be $25 richer.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Well, thanks for that idea. Assuming I can even find the radio.

Again, I need to know more. Do I also need a separate satellite tuner? It seems that I do, but I can buy it from Sirius (it's an inexpensive item).

Since I've discovered that the geniuses at Subaru thought it was a great idea to pair the HVAC with the radios, I'm very discouraged in general. They just don't want us to buy aftermarket radios?

Any radio that looks like the one on the right from the OP is going to plug-and-play in your car.

You want to make sure it comes with the AUX-IN wiring, and you will probably have to buy the sattellite radio kit, unless it says it comes with it.

Keep an eye on e-bay. IIRC, those radios go for around $400 in great condition.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 1 month later...
Why pay the dealer to install? Its easy. Find a local member and give them $25 for their troubles. Youll save prob $50 and theyll be $25 richer.

anyone Willing to help me install mine? I got drinks, fruit cake, and other delicacies. If not, then cash..:rolleyes:

Knocked this out earlier today. It's really not that hard and honestly the part I struggled with is unplugging everything from the back of the radio. The only other problem I had was I managed to strip the screw for the factory ground and ended up having to cut the wire and strip it.

This install is almost easier than learning how to use the radio itself! Well worth it though.

Can't believe how easy it was. Actually, compared to all the write ups, this kid on you tube had a pretty good video on the 'periphery' removal. The iPod interface is gonna be my Spring project. Stereo does sound great. Extra Woomph in Subwoofer too.

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you located? Is your 2004 a US model or Japanese/European model? Just curious because Japan got the 4th gen Legacy in 2004 while in the US it's an '05.

As for mixing auto climate control with manual climate control, no, it won't work.

• 5 months later...

Is your volume a little soft for the entire system or just the aux input? Is your H/U the P204UH?

When I was using the aux input with my iPod's headphone jack I had to turn the volume on the iPod to about 80%+ to get what I felt was normal volume from the H/U.

The iSimple SB1 unit uses line-in from the dock connector so the volume your iPod is set at doesn't matter.

• 1 month later...
So if I swap my 06 with an 08 how do I get the satellite radio to work? Someone mentioned a "kit". What does that mean? Is that something I have to stick on? Or is it simply activating the radio? I don't want to waste the money if it won't work as is......any advice is helpful. Thanks

The 08 radio has a satellite radio input connector and a "SAT" switch. You'll need the Subaru satellite radio kit which will install below the head unit and plug into the back of it. They're expensive, something like $300.

Sorry but I don't have a part number for you, but your local dealer should be able to help you out.

Can't believe how easy it was. Actually, compared to all the write ups, this kid on you tube had a pretty good video on the 'periphery' removal. The iPod interface is gonna be my Spring project. Stereo does sound great. Extra Woomph in Subwoofer too.

Did my iSimple install today. Easy install and now I can listen to my Pandora off of my phone. Problem is, I have to crank it to Max Volume (40) for most songs. Is there some sort of amp or something I can install in order to hear some extra oomph, but nothing crazy to kill speakers. IRRC, aftermarket speakers for our cars have depth issues with door? Saw some pretty decent sounding Alpines at Best Buy. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Word to the wise. If you have a manual transmission, make sure to put the shift knob back on when you are taking out the head unit. Otherwise it will scratch the face of the head unit when you are taking it out.

I think some people were wondering how they got a scratched head unit. I'm guessing the junk yard people did it yanking the head unit out with the shift knob off.

Word to the wise. If you have a manual transmission, make sure to put the shift knob back on when you are taking out the head unit. Otherwise it will scratch the face of the head unit when you are taking it out.

I think some people were wondering how they got a scratched head unit. I'm guessing the junk yard people did it yanking the head unit out with the shift knob off.

IIRC, I just put mine in second or fourth and was careful. Maybe covered the lever with a towel? I have had mine out about 4 times now.

Archived