LegacyGT.com

Best engine oil at altitude?

rosscarlson

Guys,

As some of you know I track my leggy quite a bit, I'm coming up on 600 or so miles this season (and have a few more events to go). It's time for my first oil change (long story, blown motor, etc). I'm reading lots of negative stuff about the synthetics, specifically Mobil 1 (which is one I used a lot in my 350z).

So what is everyone using? Don't care too much about cost, want the best performance I can get. I'm also going to be changing all my other fluids too, any suggestions there?

-Ross

I just recently switched to Penzoil Platinum and have had no adverse affects (consumption). Prior to that I was running regular Penzoil.

I did however change my oil before and after a each track event.

If you want some really good synthetic you can pick up some Eneos from Flatirons Tuning.

ive used ENEOS for the last 60k miles. nothin to complain about. thanks for the link btw, i was gonna ask before my next oil change lol

I do what I can. This is a very important question and I want to get to an answer.

If you want to do it right this is what you do… Keep ramps, and a collection of various oil viscosities in the trunk of your car. Every 100ft(10ft, if you are anal) change in altitude regardless of where you are, pull over and get your car up on ramps, and do an oil change with the appropriate viscosity. The higher I go the higher the viscosity I use is my rule of thumb. As for which oil, anything but what the manufacturer recommends is what you should put in. Hope that helps Rob.;)

Wait a second so what oil would you use in the Ocean? So how does that relate to say 5000'? If you had a tug operating in a high mountain lake what oil would you use?

Fish oil is generally used in the ocean, as this is more environmentally friendly, and it is in plentiful supply. Cod liver oil is harder to find though, due to the worldwide over fishing of cod.

At 5000' I would tend to use an aircraft oil, it is less likely to evaporate at the lower pressures.

Archived