LegacyGT.com

single muffler

bama16

i've read the few post regarding a single muffler, and taken some measurements under the car. why don't more people run a single muffler in the tunnel and then just split it out to 2 tips? the stock resonator is roughtly the same size as a muffler. it's 3" thick and a 3" magnflow is 4" thick. i could tuck the muffler a little higher than the resonator so i dont think clearance would be an issue. i can have a 3" catback built (i would do all the welding) mandrel bent and even jet coated if i want...for a 1/4 of the cost of buying one.

If I can get pics I know a guy with a 06 LGT with one single Flowmaster 40 tucked in the drive line tunnel with two straight pipes running out of that in the original stock can locations. the muffler and resonator are basically one long piece then the dual outs are just tubing bent to fit in the stock locations

i did a single, ill get some pics up, i basically bought an invidia catless dp for like 270?, then had a straight pipe made to the diff with flanges on both sides, took it to an exhaust shop they bent it around and added some more pipe and my can 3 inch inlet 4 inch outlet, sounds sickkkkk!

technically speaking, a dual exhaust on a single turbo car is teh rice.

Its funny, all the semi trucks (I drive one) running around with dual stacks. Semis just like our cars are single turbo, ONE (count em) exhaust line off the turbo, why are we running dual exhaust? Or the guys with Dodge ram Cummins, that was to be mini-semis and run stacks in their boxes.... laughable.

Less bends, less restrictions = better flow. The down pipe would be better mated to a single exhaust IMO. I would buy a cat back single exhaust right now if it was made in SS.

meh i dont consider it rice. they set the car up for a certain symmetrical appearance.

I think its better than a large carbon fiber or whatever canister hanging off the back.

Now, had I been able to get my Evo like I wanted, it would be different :devil:

meh i dont consider it rice. they set the car up for a certain symmetrical appearance.

I think its better than a large carbon fiber or whatever canister hanging off the back.

Now, had I been able to get my Evo like I wanted, it would be different :devil:

I can understand symmetry, but at the cost of performance?

I think you will be hard pressed to find a single exit exhaust that makes a significant/documentable difference over what our set up is. If you do, let me know because ill change over with you.
Kurt is correct. While I can't say I've tested every exhaust system out there and system X makes more than system Y, if you do something as simple as pull up a manufacturer's website and look at the description of their mufflers you will notice something is missing that's on almost everything else they manufacture.

The expected horse power gain over stock configuration.

This is because there is little to none gained with replacing the stock mufflers on the LGT (I'll caveat this with until you get over about 400whp). There have been a couple of dyno runs done on LGT's with stock versus aftermarket mufflers and the results have been mixed at best. One might claim 5 or even 10 another none at all and half of those gains can be attributed to the different environmental conditions at the time of the two tunes. The consensus is "maybe" 5whp . . . and that's a maybe with quotes around it to highlight the maybe-ness of the maybe.

Why do you think so many people have opted to just change out DP and maybe the center and Y and keep their stock mufflers?

Personally I look to what the manufacturers are saying about their own products for a little verification. Out of anyone they are usually the first to claim performance increases on the products they sell. It's a damn good advertising strategy to show that your product actually does something beneficial. Hell some of them claim increases even when there aren't. However, if you read any of the product descriptions of the mufflers there aren't any numbers. None and that's a little strange for something that supposedly increases performance. Most of them give a description like "increases flow" or "more aggressive tone" none say "10whp gain expected" or show dyno graphs.

Hell the best argument I've seen for a performance increase yet is from Borla's system claiming a 20% weight savings over stock. That same weight argument could be applied to the single exhaust if you'd like. My advice to you is find something that sounds good to you, something that you like to look at and tell everyone else where they can get off because the only real gains you'll see from our exhaust design, from the turbo back anyway, come out of the DP and possibly the resonator in the center pipe.

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

Kurt is correct. While I can't say I've tested every exhaust system out there and system X makes more than system Y, if you do something as simple as pull up a manufacturer's website and look at the description of their mufflers you will notice something is missing that's on almost everything else they manufacture.

The expected horse power gain over stock configuration.

This is because there is little to none gained with replacing the stock mufflers on the LGT (I'll caveat this with until you get over about 400whp). There have been a couple of dyno runs done on LGT's with stock versus aftermarket mufflers and the results have been mixed at best. One might claim 5 or even 10 another none at all and half of those gains can be attributed to the different environmental conditions at the time of the two tunes. The consensus is "maybe" 5whp . . . and that's a maybe with quotes around it to highlight the maybe-ness of the maybe.

Why do you think so many people have opted to just change out DP and maybe the center and Y and keep their stock mufflers?

Personally I look to what the manufacturers are saying about their own products for a little verification. Out of anyone they are usually the first to claim performance increases on the products they sell. It's a damn good advertising strategy to show that your product actually does something beneficial. Hell some of them claim increases even when there aren't. However, if you read any of the product descriptions of the mufflers there aren't any numbers. None and that's a little strange for something that supposedly increases performance. Most of them give a description like "increases flow" or "more aggressive tone" none say "10whp gain expected" or show dyno graphs.

Hell the best argument I've seen for a performance increase yet is from Borla's system claiming a 20% weight savings over stock. That same weight argument could be applied to the single exhaust if you'd like. My advice to you is find something that sounds good to you, something that you like to look at and tell everyone else where they can get off because the only real gains you'll see from our exhaust design, from the turbo back anyway, come out of the DP and possibly the resonator in the center pipe.

the megans have been dynotested with results in the 10-15 whp gain range at their highest delta. up top probably 5-6 or so.. still significant midrange. and this was not at 400whp. i think it was standard stage 2 power levels..

if you are running a big turbo at "only" 300whp and elect to use the stock catback you are short changing yourslef some significant hp.

car for sale. PM me!

• 2 weeks later...
it'll be another 2 weeks or so...i have all my parts but will be on vacation for the next10 days starting sunday...so it'll be about 2.5 weeks out before i'll have a chance to work on it.

the megans have been dynotested with results in the 10-15 whp gain range at their highest delta. up top probably 5-6 or so.. still significant midrange. and this was not at 400whp. i think it was standard stage 2 power levels..

if you are running a big turbo at "only" 300whp and elect to use the stock catback you are short changing yourslef some significant hp.

But, that was catback, including the y-pipe, not just mufflers. The megan doesn't mount up to stock mufflers. I think Elliott'spoint was that the mufflers aren't the big restriction some of the folks in this thread like to think they are...
:spin:

technically speaking, a dual exhaust on a single turbo car is teh rice.

Its funny, all the semi trucks (I drive one) running around with dual stacks. Semis just like our cars are single turbo, ONE (count em) exhaust line off the turbo, why are we running dual exhaust? Or the guys with Dodge ram Cummins, that was to be mini-semis and run stacks in their boxes.... laughable.

Less bends, less restrictions = better flow. The down pipe would be better mated to a single exhaust IMO. I would buy a cat back single exhaust right now if it was made in SS.

Dual tips =/= dual exhaust. Big difference.

"This is an adventure."

the only reason i want the single muffler is to keep the cost down...a single stainless muffer underneath is a lot less than 2 polished at the end, i also don't see any reason to buy 2 mufflers....as someone else was saying with a single turbo there's no reason for the dual outlet except for looks.

I also wonder....

For those of us who are a little lower than we probably should be, would this help improve clearance issues with pipes and rear suspension parts?

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
still workin on this.....i have all the pieces, 2 3" inlet 4" tip tips, 3" mandrel bends, and a 2.5" flange for the stock DP......car is back at the body shop for a final attempt at repairing damage where a truck hit me in our last big storm, plus its been in the single digits the last few days. hopefully on my next days off it'll be a little warmer in the garage.

Archived