LegacyGT.com

Vacation to Dallas

SubiGiirl

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So THIS is a rough outline of the drive from Natalia, TX up to Dallas from San Antonio where we will be picking up the rental car. So if anyone could point out any good eats along the drive from San Antonio to Dallas or any must see attractions, that would be awesome. So we will end up in Dallas Saturday evening, then be leaving Tuesday evening, only solid plan so far is the Cowboys vs Seahawks on Sunday.

Isn't Dallas one of the biggest cities in Texas?

Combined with Ft. Worth, it's one of the larger ones.

Houston is the largest - it also ranks 4th in the nation for most populated city (1-NYC, 2-Los Angeles, 3-Chicago).

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

Combined with Ft. Worth, it's one of the larger ones.

Houston is the largest - it also ranks 4th in the nation for most populated city (1-NYC, 2-Los Angeles, 3-Chicago).

I was assuming there would be a ton to do in Dallas due to it's shear size and popularity, I only have a couple days and nights there, the game will take up a good chunk of Sunday.

Anyone have some good hotels to recommend that are around 100 or so a night? Dallas/Arlington area?

So some places I've looked up, if anyone can give me a yes or no on if they're worth the time/money.

Dallas World Aquarium

Dallas Zoo

JFK/Sixth Floor Museum/JFK Memorial

Fossil Rim

No to the Dallas zoo or aquarium. Those both suck...especially the zoo. If you wanna see an amazing zoo, go to fort worth. It's one of the top rated in the country. The aquarium doesn't have that many fish, is crowded always and expensive. It'll probably burn up about an hour of your day.

Alright, thanks for the good info, that's what I was looking for so I don't end up wasting my time!

So, anyone heard of any good hotels? 150 range...?

In Dallas or Fort Worth? If you're looking to go to the zoo and everything in Fort Worth, I'd suggest one in the Stockyards since it's within about 5 miles of the zoo, Botanic Gardens, and Omni theater and the Stockyards are actually a tourist attraction itself. If you do wind up doing that, I also suggest going to Billy Bob's in the Stockyards and Gloria's too.

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

As far as hotels, I can't really comment as I've never had to stay in one. There's a Sheraton in Frisco that's nice....I've heard the rooms were good, but I've only been there for conferences. But Hotels.com can give you a good idea since many people put up reviews about the hotel.

In Dallas or Fort Worth? If you're looking to go to the zoo and everything in Fort Worth, I'd suggest one in the Stockyards since it's within about 5 miles of the zoo, Botanic Gardens, and Omni theater and the Stockyards are actually a tourist attraction itself. If you do wind up doing that, I also suggest going to Billy Bob's in the Stockyards and Gloria's too.

I'm willing to stay anywhere up there basically, Fort Worth, Arlington, Dallas..it all seems close enough together that it's not a problem. From what I can gather, it's about 35 minute drive from Dallas to Fortworth?

As far as hotels, I can't really comment as I've never had to stay in one. There's a Sheraton in Frisco that's nice....I've heard the rooms were good, but I've only been there for conferences. But Hotels.com can give you a good idea since many people put up reviews about the hotel.

I've tried the hotels.com and so on, really isn't giving me much information, they all seem to have subpar ratings until you spend 250+ a night, which is ridiculous. So I was looking for some local opinions to hopefully help narrow it down.

They stockyards was a market for cattle. Cowboys would drive cattle to this place to sell their stock and also have cattle slaughter for meat to be shipped out around the country. After the 1960-70's when rail wasn't used as often and trucks were carrying cattle to the market, the stockyards declined and eventually shut down. Then in the 1990's they fixed the place up and now have many shops, rodeo's and various other things to do with family and friends. You can still see the old slaughter house (although it's not open for tours or anything). This is just about 5 minutes outside downtown Fort Worth (mostly for the smell, back when the stockyards was actually used). But all in all, it's a neat place and one of the few "historic" places in the dfw metroplex.

There's a few Starwood hotel offerings that are probably going to be good in that price range: Aloft in downtown and Las Colinas, and maybe the Element by the airport.

I used to travel a lot for work but I never had to stay in a hotel in the area. However if you stay in a Hilton property I might be able to get you upgraded, but probably only if the room is in my name. I don't really get any discounts for being a Hilton Diamond member unfortunately. I'd only trust actual Hiltons, Embassy Suites, Doubletree, and Hilton Garden Inn properties though. Hamptons are hit-and-miss and Homewoods are oftentimes a dump.

There's a few Starwood hotel offerings that are probably going to be good in that price range: Aloft in downtown and Las Colinas, and maybe the Element by the airport.

I used to travel a lot for work but I never had to stay in a hotel in the area. However if you stay in a Hilton property I might be able to get you upgraded, but probably only if the room is in my name. I don't really get any discounts for being a Hilton Diamond member unfortunately. I'd only trust actual Hiltons, Embassy Suites, Doubletree, and Hilton Garden Inn properties though. Hamptons are hit-and-miss and Homewoods are oftentimes a dump.

I don't know how, but I totally forgot about Aloft. They just built that next door to my office. It's pretty nice, we go there for drinks after work. Las Colinas is actually pretty nice too. Not much to do there (there are a few historic landmarks and the history of Las Colinas is pretty interesting), but it's pretty centrally located between Arlington, Dallas, Grapevine (closest and the mall there is HUGE!) and Fort Worth. Hwy 114 runs literally right by the hotel and you can go pretty much anywhere you want from there in about 15-20 mins.

Something like that would probably be better if you're wanting to check out stuff in the entire Metroplex instead of one specific city.

Oh, and Las Colinas is really Irving, Texas (in case you're trying to find it on a map or something) but the town is really kinda divided. Las Colinas/Valley Ranch is the "nicer side" on the north side of the city and is actually where the Cowboys practice field and training camp are.

-Brandon

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

I just was looking at the Hyatt in Arlington, seemed to have a reasonable price, looked nice and had high reviews. I'll check the other ones you guys mentioned.

So while I'm at the stockyards, anything specific I should make sure I do or just kind of wander the streets?

Hyatt's pretty good too, that's the one right by Six Flags and within 10 mins of the stadium IIRC. You've got Interstate 30 (east to Dallas, west to Fort Worth) and Highway 360 (north to Grapevine, Las Colinas, south to Arlington, Grand Prarie) there so it's another good place to be if you're going to check out the Metroplex

In regards to the Stockyards, to be honest, there's enough around there that you could see plenty by wandering around but the Fort Worth Zoo, Fort Worth Botanical Gardens, Omni theater/museum, and Billy Bob's are all right there around it. Oh, and there's a restaurant called Ol' South on University right down from the zoo, definitely want to try to catch breakfast there while you're here.

-Brandon

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

Archived