LegacyGT.com

Automatic Shift Boot project - G/I... fabrication, cost and fitment

Soda Popinski

that's next. it's been a bit cold to do that, and I had the e-brake bundle sitting on my desk so I did that first.

The boot is finished for the e-brake. I'm gonna take pictures and create a new thread. I need a volunteer to go first =)

<- Volunteer.... Need a black e-brake boot regardless and plan to get the shift boot too.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we've been doing something similar over at subaruforester.org...

Have you guys thought about creating a boot collar like the STIs have (it's the piece that kind of caps off the boot underneath the reverse lift ring)?

Part 18 (35033FE001):

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/371494935002.png

I think that the top of the shifter boot is left kind of... ugly... and needs something to top it off..

WC Lathe Works has one

http://store.lathewerks.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_7_14&products_id=11&osCsid=0dfcc7fcd4d93835014dd34b9bafa5d4

http://store.lathewerks.com/images/STi%20Boot%20Collar.JPG

I'm reading that it attaches by allen screws into the shift lever.. wonder if we can adapt something like that for ours..

Sorry for the non-updates. I've been laid off and had to move. once I'm settled in in a few days I'll pick this up.

I've tried everything from real leather, suede, nylon pleather with cloth blacking, marine nylon... here's the problem...

The boot is the correct shape and size... no question about it... the snap on the top brings it together nicely... I see the point about the sti collar but it's unecessary with a snap.

The problem is that once the boot is fabticated, and then affixed to the chrome bezel ring on the AT, there's too much fabric between the ring and the outside of the shift gate (the plastic thing with the indicator numbers/lights/position) so that it cracks the ring.

My goal is to have an A/T boot that just you just pop off the ring, insert the boot, put the ring back on, screw on the knob. No cutting/removing, deletes, etc.

This looks like it will not work as the ring just barely clears the A/T gate itself without any fabric in the way.

I'm going to look at the possibilities of removing the shift gate, and attaching the boot from the underside, M/T style, but it's a last resort.

I have a few suppliers I'm checking sample swatches from for leather thickness.

I'd also like to keep it real leather so it's supple in the winter. Nylon hardens up too much in the winter and will crack.

Cloth might also be an alternative but the thickness poses an issue, as well as the adhesive used to bond leather or fabric to chrome plated plastic. Over time, the bond separates cleanly and that won't do. I will not release a product that is flawed.

It was one of the things I considered. I can make M/T boots till the cows come home, but I don't think the console plate fits our A/T plates. The project was designed to cost the least amount of overhead. Besides, IMO the A/T boot is smaller than the MT and looks tighter and nicer.

Sorry to here about the job stuff. However, most change is usually good and I hope this for you.

On board with the "sell no wine before its time," charater stuff too.

Looking forward to installing a great product when it is ready.

what if once the chrome bezel is removed we sand down the plastic of the shift gate area to create the room needed? delicate sand work can be done and would be the work of the owner/ installer and you just make the boots with the quality material of your choice. Id be willing to buy the boot now, and try out fitment options, ive got a guy at the subaru parts warehouse by me who can get me the chrome bezels cheap if i crack mine.

In all honesty, instead of sanding down a part you might have to replace in case you sell it I would rather buy the 5MT or even the 6MT trim with boot and just replace as you can sell that on and not take such a big hit.

That's basically what we did over at subaruforester.org but we have the plus of being able to use STI stuff.

Sorry about your job Soda. :icon_sad:

Soda,

Sooooo interested in getting one of these. Thought about doing it myself, but buying one from someone who's gone through the pain themselves is so much more attractive an idea!

I am trying to think laterally about the bottom fixing, so that you can trust that your customers don't break their rings (ha ha) installing your boot (ha ha ha).

Have you thought of something like these clips? They're just a up-spec version of paper clips - used to hold bits of paper together . . http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Office-Supplies/General-Stationery/Secretarial-and-Office-Consumables/Letter-Paper-and-Foldback-Clips/Other-Clips/GE700530

I wonder if instead of trying to jam the leather between the ring and the panel, maybe focus on fixing the leather to the ring, and let the clipping arrangement that the ring already has take care of holding the ring to the panel.

You could ship the clips with the boot, and customers can fit the clips to the ring, and then put the ring back in the console.

Please keep us all up to date - you obviously have a lot of fans on this one!

what if once the chrome bezel is removed we sand down the plastic of the shift gate area to create the room needed? delicate sand work can be done and would be the work of the owner/ installer and you just make the boots with the quality material of your choice. Id be willing to buy the boot now, and try out fitment options, ive got a guy at the subaru parts warehouse by me who can get me the chrome bezels cheap if i crack mine.

Can I give you a list of part numbers, and you can find out if they can be bought in quantity? I'll have to measure to see if the MT panel works... because the MT boot is very VERY easy to make.

The A/T boot is smaller and looks nicer with the chrome trim, problem is there is so little clearance around that shift gate that it cracks the ring.

Can I give you a list of part numbers, and you can find out if they can be bought in quantity? I'll have to measure to see if the MT panel works... because the MT boot is very VERY easy to make.

The A/T boot is smaller and looks nicer with the chrome trim, problem is there is so little clearance around that shift gate that it cracks the ring.

I have been using a shift boot for several months now and my ring is not cracked?

pm me the part numbers and i can see what I can do, i see my buddy bout once a week so no gaurentee when id have them by, but i could then ship you them asap. would you be interested in selling me a A/T boot in black w/ tan stiching in leather, and ill do some trim work and sanding to see what I can do. Ill document and photo any changes made.

I always hated that chrome trim piece. It looks so out of place. I don't think they have one on the MT's.

After reading what a pain it was for everybody to try to wedge the boot in between the console and the trim ring, I was curious to see for myself. There was no way my boot was going to fit without cracking the trim ring.

I used a bench grinder on mine to reduce the depth of it. Then I used Velcro on the top of it and the inside of the shift boot and put it underneath the console, where it belongs. Now it holds the shift boot in place, but is out of sight.

Before somebody brings it up, I do have a matching emergency brake cover, just haven't gotten to it yet.

1073004358_IMG_0392(Large).thumb.jpg.2580a7da4b3e93845981c5bba343642d.jpg

1258876821_IMG_0393(Large).thumb.jpg.ebdf93af065f1ce732e56e620c8efa01.jpg

816246884_IMG_0394(Large).thumb.jpg.3dcfe47e0af9d11e852e7cda34cecd6d.jpg

1791925940_IMG_0395(Large).thumb.jpg.e02852c7d74dc612df1566a0208ece91.jpg

1356210953_IMG_0396(Large).thumb.jpg.7b9ea5716e20d6811b6f91c18b2688ab.jpg

Most leather is too thick to wedge between the chrome ring and console base...it will definitely break if you apply pressure to force it in. A/T has this issue. I think M/T has more space possibly. I broke my chrome ring on my old Legacy trying to do this.

I think that the top of the shifter boot is left kind of... ugly... and needs something to top it off....

This was my take on it. I love the special reserve:cool:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3411/2981/33526490005_medium.jpg

It matches the blue leather interior. Lemme know what you guys think.

I always hated that chrome trim piece. It looks so out of place. I don't think they have one on the MT's.

After reading what a pain it was for everybody to try to wedge the boot in between the console and the trim ring, I was curious to see for myself. There was no way my boot was going to fit without cracking the trim ring.

I used a bench grinder on mine to reduce the depth of it. Then I used Velcro on the top of it and the inside of the shift boot and put it underneath the console, where it belongs. Now it holds the shift boot in place, but is out of sight.

Before somebody brings it up, I do have a matching emergency brake cover, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Looks pretty good. I thought about leaving the trim off when I did mine. But, On mine, It simply looked like a gaping hole. What shift knob is that in your pics?

If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

Archived