LegacyGT.com

Automatic Shift Boot project - G/I... fabrication, cost and fitment

Soda Popinski

did the redline boot require you to remove the shift gate?

Nope, the only thing I did was put the chrome ring underneath the console (after some trimming) and used it as a wedge to hold the boot. The shifter/plate/gate is still intact underneath the boot on mine.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that makes no sense. The bezel is held in place by pinch brackets on the left and right side. The bezel is also non-symetrical on my car, So I can't flip it upside down...

any way you can scan the instructions? Or some pics? I'm sure this may be the solution that was holding my project up.

that makes no sense. The bezel is held in place by pinch brackets on the left and right side. The bezel is also non-symetrical on my car, So I can't flip it upside down...

any way you can scan the instructions? Or some pics? I'm sure this may be the solution that was holding my project up.

It's not upside down, its just underneath the console, but the portion that would normally protrude down into the console and fit into the clips has been ground down substantially to allow it to fit underneath.

I mainly just used the bezel as frame to a) help me hold the shifter boot evenly in place when I reinstalled everything (put a couple pieces of Velcro on it and the boot) and b) hold the boot in place (pressure from the top of the console presses down sandwiching the boot against the bezel which is sitting on the shifter plate under the console).

I had to keep grinding away at the bezel until I got just enough clearance to reinstall the top of the console. There were no instructions, just came up w/ that method myself when I thought what would make a nice frame to hold things in place while I reinstalled the console. I think I broke one of the pinch brackets when I first tried fitting it (pushed down too hard on the console before I trimmed the chrome bezel), so if I recall I snipped the other ones off as well, not sure if they would cause an issue, might just have to grind more off the chrome bezel (part of the side along w/ the bottom). I was in a hurry and have no plans on going back, so for me it was less grinding to just remove them so the bezel fit down in there good.

Probably won't be able to get any pics snapped till this weekend at the earliest with work right now. But I also still have an e-brake boot to install as well, just been one of those things I haven't got around to yet. If you were too remove the console top, and put the chrome bezel back in place, you will be able to see how the bottom portion can be ground down to drop the height so it can fit underneath.

This is my latest boot I made last night with red stitching. The fitment is much better than my first attempt. I do think it looks good.

The e-brake boot was my first attempt. It came out well, until I put the glue on. I didn't expect the material to stretch. It was a perfect fit when I made it, but the next time I will have to make it a little smaller in some places.

IMG_0270.thumb.jpg.06948743ee00d13b287336671a95fbb4.jpg

IMG_0272.thumb.jpg.69fcf6747299612c3327922b3ea4d261.jpg

IMG_0271.thumb.jpg.266284c268f630dc0f17593f5f5e6def.jpg

I use a wheel-knife to trim the extra, and small binder clips to wrap the material around the ebrake frame while it dries. You can pretty much use spray adhesive on the center flat portion and use a roller to make it smooth. Then do the edges one at a time.

The 4 pannels for your boot, do you use a snap for the collar?

Mine looked like this:

..__

..\../

../...\

./.....\

/___.\

Where the top triangle got folded down and double stitched horizontally once the 4 pannels are adjascent, but not completely encircled.

I found that some finish seams had to be done by hand.

I think that I'll revisit my design. I have some tan and black suede, some vinyl and various cloth to try.

I have 2 rings, one that fits and one that's busted. If what you explained I am understanding, I can file down the perpendicular edge of the bezel that goes into the pinch clips, and mount the entire thing UNDER the panel...

Now here's another silly question, I forgot how to get the trim pieces off the sides of the shift panel. One started to crack so I don't want to bust it. Do they just pull up and out?

Just sent my stock chrome shifter surround to Jason at R-Rev sports today. He will be making a CF overlay for it. Would look great with an all black boot that can tuck into a CF shifter surround.

If they are cheap enough, I'll probably order a bunch, and use pop rivits to hold the boot in place.

Now here's another silly question, I forgot how to get the trim pieces off the sides of the shift panel. One started to crack so I don't want to bust it. Do they just pull up and out?

Once the trim panel is removed from around the shifter there are two screws holding them on. Once they are removed the pull out pretty easily.

Just sent my stock chrome shifter surround to Jason at R-Rev sports today. He will be making a CF overlay for it. Would look great with an all black boot that can tuck into a CF shifter surround.

Do you think he can make it so that we can fit a boot in between the overlay and the shift gate?

• 3 months later...

would it be easier to follow OP's method by simply trimming up the 4 corners of the bezel (part that goes down into the console) where the threads for the boot hit?

that'd just leave boot/seams in the corners instead of metal but the metal could help keep everything down on the sides...?

I dont mind the 'outside the ring' design but I dont understand the technique...

• 2 years later...

It's been a long time since this was updated... and ... well... there is no update. But, I was going through all my old boxes when I moved and I found this pile of scrap leather and cardboard templates I used to size it all up. All my notes, designs, etc.

If anyone wants them, free of charge I'd be glad to send you everything I have, instead of just throwing it away.

Anyone want to pick this project up and give it a go?

Archived