LegacyGT.com

The left lane...

SUBE555

Yep. I believe it already passed. And guess what? Haven't seen any change in the behavior of drivers.

i guess lots of people don't know about this new law... before tonite all i knew was that, now there are signs on I-36 saying "keep right unless passing."

i suppose people will follow the law when the cops start to give tickets. i used to drive on the HOV lane alone once in a while until i got a $80 ticket..

the following site has a list of the "keep right" laws on most u.s. states: http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

This Space For Rent

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had years of experience driving outside the states, and it is much more aggresive but still safer than the negligent and reckless driving here.

I have driven in Buenos Aires where people make right hand turns from the left hand lane across three lanes of traffic. Everyone slows down, honks, gives the guy the finger and continue on their way. Lane markers don't mean anything......coming up to a stoplight, it is common to have cars five and six wide in three lanes, mirrors almost touching each other. As soon as a light turns yellow, everyone slams on their brakes instead of the gas. You NEVER run a light. At night on the side streets, you don't stop every block for the stop signs......you slow down and flash your lights as you approach (though this has more to do with not being kidnapped than anything).

In all my travels down there over the years, not once did I see an accident.

I'd like to see Illinois enforcing this law a bit more: http://www.danrutherford.com/PressReleases/leftlane.htm

At least we have something!

I'd have to agree with most everything said above. However, if there is heavy traffic, I'm already doing 15 to 20 over, coming up on a clot, and if I moved into the right, I'd get stuck behind a truck doing 55, you gotta belive I'm not going to get over for the frikin SUV on my ass. You're likely to get sprayed for an action like that...

Yep. I believe it already passed. And guess what? Haven't seen any change in the behavior of drivers.

Uh huh. Great. Public transportation is great if you have a city center where the majority of a population is commuting. Or high population density like in Seoul or Tokyo. But, lets take, well LA. There is no central "downtown" where a significant portion of the population is going. Everyone is going somewhere else. There isn't a way to have efficient public transportation in LA nor a myriad of other cities in the United States. It sucks but logistically it just doesn't work that way. Its not that we don't want to, its that many cities can't. The Light Rail here in Denver is only good if you need to get to a Nuggets/Broncos game. If you want to go from Littleton to the DTC, you better hop in your car and go.

Everyone wants their McMansions with a 3 car garage to fill. Me? I'm satisfied with my two cars (one of which I'm trying to sell) and plan on living the urban life once I graduate from school.

It all goes back to how the city was designed from the ground up. The city council has to research and come up with an urban plan that facilities public transportation. They give out building licenses, fund road construction and etc, so they control the design of a city. Many councils tend to forget to make sure their city is pedestrian friendly, especially when going through a high growth and development phase.

I'm not hatin cause I'm livin the urban life, but just stating my opinion on the state of public trans, especially with the gas prices up the wazoo.

Now it's $57 a barrel, instead of $37 a barrel a year ago. About a month ago, 87 oct was ~1.80 and now it's up to ~2.45, that is just worse than goatse.cx .

I keed I keeed

i'll state my point and everyone will probably hate it, but oh well. first people in NC can't drive. anyone who merges on the expressway at 45mph needs to be shot from point blank range. i drive in the left lane on all my freeway travelling, however i'm never below 80mph. if i merge and there is traffic on the expressway i check my mirrors every minute or so to see whats going on behind me (i.e am i blowing everyone away, did a cop merge onto the expressway, is someone coming up faster on me, etc...). if i merge and there is no traffic, i check my mirrors every 2 minutes or so. if someone is coming up on me and the right lane is full of slow drivers, i will speed up to get infront of the slow drivers in the right lane, then proceed to move over to the right lane to let the faster car(s) pass me. i move back into the left lane and continue at my speed as i have probably run up on slower cars in the right lane while letting faster cars pass.

i do not intentionally run up on people going slower than me in the left lane then slam on brakes, honk the horn, and flash the lights (all of those drive me nuts!!). i judge my speed based on theirs. if they don't move over right away, i kinda drift to the left a little to put part of my car in their side mirror, if they still don't move over, then i wait until there is a clear path in the right lane, CALMLY switch lanes, pass them then move back over infront of them. i do not cut people off just to pass people and i do not cut the people off i just passed. i do these things b/c i would like to expect them in return, which is usually not the case, but i do not let that change how i drive.

Kenda

kenda you are one very patient and polite driver. if i were behind the eclipse and honda like u were a while ago i would have honked all the way. :redface: i should learn to control my temper...

This Space For Rent

kenda you are one very patient and polite driver. if i were behind the eclipse and honda like u were a while ago i would have honked all the way. :redface: i should learn to control my temper...

hehehe...i just dont see a point to get mad and upset over something u can't control. i take that view point in everything concerning life.

Kenda

I had this guy in a pickup doing 50-55 in the left lane and I go to pass him and this tool in a Maxima speeds up to stop me, then slowed back down. This happened 3 times or so now I'm geting pissed but the Maxima is moving a bit faster so i get behind him and he gets slower now and I'm lik WTF! Just as Im about to totaly loose it another family car (cant rember what) passes me on the left and the Maxima, then hits his breaks so I can get by Captin Dipshit in the Maxima.

Why do people insist on being such complete pains in the ass on the road? Well at leatst there are still a few good drivers on the road that are courtious to others.

Watch the words there vtec13.

I try to keep pretty close to what Kenda does, I'm always looking for who is faster behind me, pull over to let them pass and get back out there, although I'd agree, people who pull stuff like slow down as it looks just like spite make it kind of easy to get frustrated, make that rather easy to get frustrated. I don't understand while people do it either. I't would be nice if people are just aware of other people, like tonight, after dropping off my car for some work at the local dealership since I don't have time to do it, we were going to get dinner, followed a car down a 45 marked road at 25-30mph, they then stopped at the red light, major intersection to turn right, there was no traffic coming across and you can turn right on red there, we got there as it turned red, sat through the whole light. (If I was driving I'm sure I'd have passed them before we got that far.) The old ladies (60's or 70's) were just yapping it up and I never saw the driver once look in her mirrors, additonally, she was digging through her purse while driving her Buick. I was ready to pull my hair out (too short to pull) as there was so many things they were doing to be inconsiderate of others. I don't care how old you are. If you have a license and are on the road, you have the obligation to be considerate of other drivers and to work with them.

i don't expect much from senior drivers as long as they just keep moving and don't have a heart attack in the middle of nowhere!! i heard once some grandpa just stopped and blocked right before the highway entrance because he was scared! :eek::(

some day you will be old too and won't react quickly no more, and your brain won't work as well either, but you probably still have to drive.... ;)

This Space For Rent

My favorite is when I'm attempting to pass so I use my "flash to pass" lights to indicate it. This usually induces them to slam on their brakes or slow down or something. Am I missing something? Even funner is when you attempt the above and they don't move, so you attempt to pass from the right. As you try to pass, the person tries to accelerate to block you out. wtfmate? :mad: Not a single person to date has been successful with that when I'm in the LGT though...;)

On another tangent... isn't Colorado getting ready to pass a bill that would TICKET a driver for cruising in the left (passing) lane? Thought I heard that....

Allegedly Gov. Rod Blagojevich of Illinois passed one such law that came into effect on 1st of January 2004. I am yet to see it enforced. I am doing most of my overtaking on the right...dangerously forcing me to slalom between the lane. Now dig this...familiar with Chicago ? Try going on the express lanes and coming behind two idiots that are in parallel to each other and altogether slower than the traffic in the regular lanes. You honk them, you blast them with your high beams...and they don't even bother...

Usually if I am in no hurry...once I get past them,...I get in front of them and i start slowing them down: Road rage ? Maybe...but eventually they wake up and try overtaking me...it NEVER works for them...and they find themselves behind me...AGAIN... But I usually don't have time to toy with them...Just give them the finger and move on...

My favorite is when I'm attempting to pass so I use my "flash to pass" lights to indicate it. This usually induces them to slam on their brakes or slow down or something. Am I missing something? Even funner is when you attempt the above and they don't move, so you attempt to pass from the right. As you try to pass, the person tries to accelerate to block you out. wtfmate? :mad: Not a single person to date has been successful with that when I'm in the LGT though...;)

do u solve this kind of problems the TX way (pull out a chainsaw... i mean gun)? :eek:

This Space For Rent

...yeesh!!!! it's just driving...its not life or death!!

Kenda

Au Contraire, mon amie.

Your civilized mindset will serve you well, but it seems to not be a prevailing one, especially amongst us male members of the species to whom driving on public roads is widely considered a competitive sport, and any percieved violation must be swiftly retaliated against.

I confess to befalling to one episode of kind of serious road rage, and a few other minor ones, but I think I am mellowing rapidly finding that letting others' actions determine my stress level is not a good thing.

The big one was around 5 years ago. I was moving over from the center lane to the right lane, signaling and checking my mirrors first, for the upcomming exit. In a flash a Jaguar and a Mercedes almost clip me as they blow by me doing at least 100 (traffic flow was the usual 65-70 mph) using half my lane and half the right shoulder.

I saw the new Jag S-type go down the exit ramp, and after a couple of traffic lights it's in the center turn lane waiting for a break in traffic. I cut right in front of him and jump out of my car laying into him with a string of obscenities. I was angry, but I also amped it up some acting kind of crazed to give him a good show and shake him up.

I wouldn't have chased him down but the circumstances just presented themselves so I let boy racer know that he might want think about repeating that maneuver. Probably had absolutely no effect on him.

Along those lines....

I was driving over to meet friends for an MTB ride a few years ago. A pimped out old Accord with five non-English speaking residents of Herndon, VA decide they wanted to race me. I had an '89 Civic then, with rack on the top (my MTB cost more than the car). We stopped at a stoplight....I was in the left turn lane. They took off from the light and paralled me around the turn and kept cutting in front of me, blocking me.

At the next stoplight, I put it and neutral and set the brake, jumped out and went over to their car cursing them out in their native language, calling them a bunch of sissies. My adrenaline was kicking, and all the stuff I took to amp me up for the ride was starting to take effect. I scared the crap out of them and they took off, running the red light. I got back in the car, my heart racing. I thought.....WTF was I thinking? That was the stupidest thing I have ever done. :eek:

Since then, not much people can do on the road will get me bent out of shape.....it just makes me laugh now. It's not worth getting killed over.

Since then, not much people can do on the road will get me bent out of shape.....it just makes me laugh now. It's not worth getting killed over.

Non-English Speaking (politically correct) or not, it seems like the Old West here these days. Too many shot at, some killed, in their cars weekly here, to get flustered. Some are drug related, some are just machismo, road-rage, shootings.

You go straight to hell if you get killed over an altercation on the road. I drive 28,000+ miles a year, so I have learned long ago to take your same approach to crap on the road.:cool:

Archived