LegacyGT.com

The left lane...

SUBE555

Why in the heck do people have to sit in the left lane (fast lane) when there is nobody in the right? And why can't people actually pass? Is it just to drive me crazy? I'm guessing so or people are so far removed from reality they they don't notice anything going on around them. Sometimes I just want to smack people upside the head and be like WAKE UP, be considerate of others!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you'll need a big sticker saying "slower traffic to the right" all over the side of your car as you blast them with the 160 dB horns on your car as you pass them at the SPEED LIMIT :lol:

Time to find some 160 dB horns!

Keefe

Keefe

Normally, the driver in the left lane is so engrossed in their cell phone conversation to notice you flashing and honking from behind. :(

Around DC, the right lane it for two things.....merging and passing. Sad, but true.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I used to have a loudspeaker to wake them up with when I was commuting, but found out really fast that the people who were hogging the left lane weren't altogether aware they were doing it and maybe even not aware they were driving, judging by the way they looked around in their mirror and swerved from lane to lane. I just pass them on the right now.

Seems like I found a common gripe. :p

I think Jedi hit it on the head, most of these people are so immune to everything including them knowing they're even driving muchless, which lane they're in and that they're going slower than the lanes to the right of them and every mile the signs that say slower traffic keep right. I think I am going to need some Hella Supertones for the morning commute and returning home.

Bothers me too.

<rant on> Americans are the most INCONSIDERATE DRIVERS in the world.

They do not watch their mirrors and will predictably fail to grasp the most simple of traffic laws. And... don't EVEN get me started about the non-use of turn signals. :mad:

I guess its just too much to do between talking on the cell, doing your makeup, and eating! Geesh... <rant off>

I have driven in Italy, Belgium, and Ireland and am always shocked (and awe'd) by the general lack of driving courtesy here in the states.....

i use turn signals only when there are cars in close distance, otherwise i won't bother... :p

WARNING: Sarcastic response:

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it........ ah... you know the rest!

I was agreeing with you, my friend.... :D

Why use turn signals if there is no one near you?

My gripe is when they pull right in front of me without signaling.... or hit the brakes to turn without signaling....

My gripe is when they pull right in front of me without signaling.... or hit the brakes to turn without signaling....

if someone gets right in front of me suddenly, with or without signaling, i give him a finger. if he does it slowly i usually don't care.

This Space For Rent

American drivers will be eaten alive driving outside the states, even though drivers in most countries don't intentionally distract themselves while driving.

I've had years of experience driving outside the states, and it is much more aggresive but still safer than the negligent and reckless driving here. Then again most other countries have better, cheaper and more efficient public transportation, which leads to a lower dependence on cars compared to the excessive sprawl in the states.

I keed I keeed

Why in the heck do people have to sit in the left lane (fast lane) when there is nobody in the right? And why can't people actually pass? Is it just to drive me crazy? I'm guessing so or people are so far removed from reality they they don't notice anything going on around them. Sometimes I just want to smack people upside the head and be like WAKE UP, be considerate of others!

ha ha when i moved from MN to WI that was teh 1st thing i noticed.

Hijacking the left lane is so prevalant in freakin cheeseland. Not so much in MN.

I mean occassionally u will come across a few in MN and 50% of those will be folks with WI plates.

GAWD if i had a penny for each time i had to get on some panzees ass on teh left lane and flash and honk the horn till they move...and then flip them the bird in anger...i'd be a millionaire

Thats what happens when the driving test is so easy...any inconsiderate moron can get a permit to occupy the fast lane as if their daddy built it.....oh now u got my blood pressure up with this topic....shame on u :D

And i forgot to mention the amount of red lights drivers run in WI. Its clearly red ....STOP. They dont then they get in accidents. Mn drivers dont do that as much either. Time to consider moving back to the cities. Milwaukee is junk town anyways....crime shootings. UGH...everyone escaping the law in chicago ends up here.

Your complaint leads to my main gripe, which is that most drivers think that rearview mirrors are only used when backing out of their driveway. You've gotta respect what's infront and behind you.

While driving home from work on Monday, I got stuck between a Ford Escape infront and a Honda Accord behind, both driven by FoC, aka Female on Cellphone, no offense intended.

I keed I keeed

Welcome to Wisconsin, Seth. (LOL, I read most of these posts, then started posting... and just realized twisted beat me to most of it)

WI has the biggest bunch of Left Lane Bandits anywhere. It's their "God given right" to be able to choose any lane they want. You want to go faster than the speed limit? No siree, I'm in the left lane going the speed limit, so you should be too.

I've driven in many places in the Midwest and East Coast and I can say without hesitation that WI is the worst for Left Lane Bandits.

I've lived here all my life (if I have anything to do about it, not too many more years), traveled around the U.S. WI is definitely the worst state and nothing to be proud of, it just finally got to me and I had to vent about it since my daily commute is almost exactly 32 miles and about 20min of it on 4-lane divided highway (2 per side) and usually lots of moving roadblocks. Once I hit the 6 lanes by Neenah, it's 80 and whatever lane I want most of the time, but sometimes we get 3 freaking lanes of roadblocks, cummon! I usually quick take a swoop around the blocker and pull in right in front of them fast to show my displeasure, all while pleasantly under boost and heavy acceleration showing them how slow they are and pull back into the left lane to show them they are going slow. As I do, looking in the rear view mirror for the grumble on their face, I generally see a long line of cars behind them.

You know the saying drive fast, take chances, you own the road, well I think most people only heard the last part of that.

I really wish we had a rigorous drivers testing system, even if it cost a couple grand. Public transportation would be better utilized and some of the yahoos would think twice about getting cars. Plus, roads would have less people in general about them, less fuel used as people would stay closer to home.... I'm seeing a pattern.

Maybe they pulled right in front of you without signaling because "there was nobody near me, or at least I thought so".

I signal turns and lane changes probably close to 98% of the time just out of habit. Flipping that turn signal stalk really doesn't require that much effort.

It's a safety thing in that it gives others an idea of your intentions. You may think that nobody is close by, but in my many years of driving there have been a few occasions where after checking my mirrors I signaled and then started a lane change while doing a quick glance over my shoulder only to be surprised that a vehicle was there, either because the moved over into that lane, were in a blind spot, were going 20-30 mph faster than the flow of traffic, whatever. At least by my signaling I gave the other motorist a second or two advance warning of my maneuver.

The people that signal after they've already started the lane change or turn earn a point for trying, but they don't really grasp the concept that you should let people know what you're planning to do before you actually do it.

There are those that intentionally don't signal because they don't want to give away their next move lest the competition speed up and squeeze them off.

but in my many years of driving there have been a few occasions where after checking my mirrors I signaled and then started a lane change while doing a quick glance over my shoulder only to be surprised that a vehicle was there, either because the moved over into that lane, were in a blind spot, were going 20-30 mph faster than the flow of traffic, whatever.

thats why i always turn my head before i change lane, i don't trust side mirrors...

This Space For Rent

On another tangent... isn't Colorado getting ready to pass a bill that would TICKET a driver for cruising in the left (passing) lane? Thought I heard that....

Yep. I believe it already passed. And guess what? Haven't seen any change in the behavior of drivers.

I've had years of experience driving outside the states, and it is much more aggresive but still safer than the negligent and reckless driving here. Then again most other countries have better, cheaper and more efficient public transportation, which leads to a lower dependence on cars compared to the excessive sprawl in the states.

Uh huh. Great. Public transportation is great if you have a city center where the majority of a population is commuting. Or high population density like in Seoul or Tokyo. But, lets take, well LA. There is no central "downtown" where a significant portion of the population is going. Everyone is going somewhere else. There isn't a way to have efficient public transportation in LA nor a myriad of other cities in the United States. It sucks but logistically it just doesn't work that way. Its not that we don't want to, its that many cities can't. The Light Rail here in Denver is only good if you need to get to a Nuggets/Broncos game. If you want to go from Littleton to the DTC, you better hop in your car and go.

Everyone wants their McMansions with a 3 car garage to fill. Me? I'm satisfied with my two cars (one of which I'm trying to sell) and plan on living the urban life once I graduate from school.

Archived