LegacyGT.com

THE ULTIMATE jack stands?

This time looking for jack stands that go to 30" or 31" and DON'T want to end up spending a LOT of money this time. Best I've seen at that height is $90/pair shipped or so.

Anyone know where to get them for cheap? TIA!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I believe I got mine from Sears... when I bought a 6 ton SUV jack for sale it came all together and I think it was like $80 for the jack and 2 stands.. IMHO if your car isn't lowered that badly this one is awesome since you get so much extra height and lifting power. Even with my lowered Mitsubishi back in the day I could lift the car up with my body and slide it under where it could clear and hit my jack point still.

Have you looked at these from Northern Tool?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200330725_200330725

Lift Capacity (tons) 12 Tons

Min. Lift Height (in.) 18 1/16

Max. Lift Height (in.) 28 9/32

Double Locking Yes

Base L x W (in.) 10 1/4 x 12

OOOH That looks good, might be a winner.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?products_id=2420&osCsid=a8k6tug555l0pi96mcq9osstk5

http://www.ultimategarage.com/achydraulic/esco10498july08.jpg

They don't go as high as you want, but high enough for tranny replacement. Why you would want to go any higher? :iam:

Also, autozone has decent cheap non-ratcheting (good) big ass jack stands, that probably go as high as you want.

G, you have the nicest tools I've seen, and the research to back it up, so I always strongly consider what you say. Was also looking at those Autozone ones... why not.

Why you would want to go any higher?

:lol: Same reason I constantly modify the car though it was fast enough already; because I can, makes me happy :)

:lol: Same reason I constantly modify the car though it was fast enough already; because I can, makes me happy :)

Going too high is not a good idea - you can't reach things laying on the floor/ground or even a creeper.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?products_id=2420&osCsid=a8k6tug555l0pi96mcq9osstk5

http://www.ultimategarage.com/achydraulic/esco10498july08.jpg

They don't go as high as you want, but high enough for tranny replacement. Why you would want to go any higher? :iam:

:whore:

I've got the ones made by AC Hydraulic and I'm very happy with them.

Going too high is not a good idea - you can't reach things laying on the floor/ground or even a creeper.

Call me a noob but I'm not sure I understand. You saying it will be too high up to reach, or too much distance between tools and ground, or what?

Too high up to reach - or reaching would require stretched hands - very uncomfortable.

Ah, very good point. Jack stands going to 24" would save a lot of money. Thanks!

Edit: darn it G you're always saving me from bad decisions. Went out to put the jack all the way up (ASE Ranger). 4-22 inches the jack point is moving mostly vertical. 24-31 inches the jack point is moving over a mostly horizontal line. I don't know what the implications are for safety (if any) but yeah makes more sense now. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

In conclusion, made a decision: The AC/Esco are excellent, and I want them, but they are just too much money compared to other options that will also get the job done. I chose the harbor freight 6 ton jack stands, and the rubber pads as well.

6 ton jack stands

Rubber pads for jack stands

At 1/4th the price of AC/Esco stands, I can't justify it, not currently.

Don't buy ratchet stands, please. They are unsafe crap. You want lock pin instead. The ratchet may be accidentally kicked and the car falls on you. There have been accidents like that.

The cheapo Autozone stands have lock pins.

Don't buy ratchet stands, please. They are unsafe crap. You want lock pin instead. The ratchet may be accidentally kicked and the car falls on you. There have been accidents like that.

The cheapo Autozone stands have lock pins.

I can agree to that, and that's what I'll do. Thanks G!

Agree, I use ratchet stands and hate them. I also hate jack stands with that damn "bar" shape instead of a nice flat pad.

I'm about to invest in, finally, some quality parts. This will be my first jack and stands I intend to last me 20-30 years. Here's what I've got selected:

Jack: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92782

Stands: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200313386_200313386

I like stands with a flat base to avoid digging into the pavement/garage floor. I've also had stands "skitter" a bit on slightly slanted surfaces when the stand initially takes a load on.

I'm hoping that for $220 or so, I'll have a set of stands and a jack that'll last a very long time. I understand that the jack is probably the weakest part of that package, but my $20 2-ton jack has lasted me ~4-5 years now and still lifts to 12" like no tomorrow!

Joe

Agree, I use ratchet stands and hate them. I also hate jack stands with that damn "bar" shape instead of a nice flat pad.

I'm about to invest in, finally, some quality parts. This will be my first jack and stands I intend to last me 20-30 years. Here's what I've got selected:

Jack: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92782

Stands: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200313386_200313386

I like stands with a flat base to avoid digging into the pavement/garage floor. I've also had stands "skitter" a bit on slightly slanted surfaces when the stand initially takes a load on.

I'm hoping that for $220 or so, I'll have a set of stands and a jack that'll last a very long time. I understand that the jack is probably the weakest part of that package, but my $20 2-ton jack has lasted me ~4-5 years now and still lifts to 12" like no tomorrow!

Joe

Tools from Horrible Freight and Northern Crap to last 20-30 years?!!! ROTFL :lol: Only if you never use them, but even then you would be pushing your luck. :lol:

These stands are junk. If something says aluminum it doesn't mean quality. On the contrary.

And northern tools is a crook of a company. Don't deal with them. I originally ordered Esco stands from them. They had listed them as PAIR for $99 (good deal I thought). After I ordered two pairs they shipped me one pair... and quietly changed their webpage to show single stand for $99! I called them and they lied to me that "oh, they are on backorder but we'll ship you another pair". Month later - nothing. When I called them they played stupid and pretended they know nothing about the backorder or price change. I returned the stands to them (they gave me RMA) yet they would not issue a refund. Only disputing the charge via CC company solved the issue.

Wow, my family has had nothing but good fortunate with Harbor Freight with a variety of tools. Even, say, a $40 Sawzall has proved it's worth....albeit it's not been a high-end product.

The reviews for the stands are quite solid, but i'd ask: What is it about those stands that are negative? I thought I'd like the ability to navigate a jack NEAR a stand without the stand's base getting in the way.

Re: Aluminum Jack - I lift and carry my jack quite a distance right now for use. I'm hoping that by going with aluminum (50 pounds), I'll maintain my avoidance of the chiropractor. Figure it'll get about 10 uses a year on average. So 200 uses in 20 years, on mainly vehicles that weigh 3000-3500 pounds.

Joe

Archived