LegacyGT.com

Drop in Panel Filters...which one?

Driver72

Want to gauge what people think.

What drop in panel filter works best for our LGT's?

I've always used K & N in the past, and they've done the job

for me without any problems, but am open for trying a different

brand.

I noticed the Blitz LM said it doesn't need to be oiled.

But says very little else.

How do you clean it? Or do you have to just replace it after

so many miles?

The Perrin doesn't use oil correct? But is washable correct?

Got to give a big thumb's up for the AVO panel filter http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?products_id=104

Well constructed, easy to install, cleanable. Sounded great, added a nice hushed woosh to the engine when pressed hard. And the guys at AVO can get it shipped from Japan in less than 5 days.

+1

Still waiting for the K&N replacement filter for the legacy gt but in the mean time i am currently using the HKS Green drop in filter, slightly improved response and a bit of an induction sound, but i think i might try the blitz one the next time i change the panel filter.

I think Blitz finally finished the Induction Cover with the LM filter.. really worth getting to keep the stock MAF and draw in the air equally through the filter.

See:

http://www.blitz-na.com/Blitz_Intake_InCover.htm

http://www.blitz-na.com/product%20image/IntakeInCover.jpg

Legacy GT

http://www.blitz-na.com/product%20image/IntakeInCover2.jpg

Exploded veiw of a WRX intake box.

Keefe

Keefe

Why would you want to give up the snorkel that directs cooler air to the filter? With that setup you'd be drawing in hot engine compartment air. I can't see how the snorkel adds any real restriction to flow, while delivering cooler air to the engine.

The snorkel is minimal really (if you look at the area of where it sucks in air). If the car is continuously moving, the grille itself gets more air through the engine bay than just the snorkel (think cross section areas per time per speed per volume). I use to have an intake temperature probe on my old WRX with a SUS intake filter by Blitz cuz I really wanted to see "how much hot air I was really sucking up" and how long the air gets heated up during stop and go traffic. If the car is moving, it drops and stays fairly constant with the ambient temps (not more than a 10 F difference if you are driving at low loads and highway speed limits). The temperature starts to climb after sitting at a light after 5 mins.. city slow lurching traffic would be a killer here for the Blitz induction cover.. but if the car is moving (say on the track or highway) this is the way to go, especially for STOCK CLASS Solo2 racing (totally legit mod for stock class).

And if you combine the ARC induction fender panel on the right fender liner and remove the stock resonator intake box under the bumper and route some tubing up from the ARC induction panel and up to the intake, you can get some colder air without the actual worry of sucking up water (as most people are scared about with CAI setups).

I would have gone this route if I knew earlier before I bought my front grille that increased the cross section of the flow of air area for the snorkel.

Keefe

Keefe

The results from your WRX are fairly typical. What I'm saying is that I doubt you will gain any flow from the Blitz induction cover versus the stock snorkel. You will heat soak the intake when sitting. So you are paying for a negligable upside, while bringing in a negative factor. If you must spend money on JDM bling, so be, but it's not smart money in my book.

It's not going to be any different than the people running those short ram intakes either.. it's just that this way with the induction cover, you can keep the stock MAF housing (as other MAF sensor housings are not built in favor of the GT ECU programming [as it will run leaner], unless you have engine management to compensate it)...

Just giving people a heads-up.. still a drop in filter, just additional modding that goes with it.

Keefe

Keefe

I just ordered a Perrin filter. It'd better be worth the money...I am slowly trying to catch up with you people...but at 1500 miles I am still enjoying it as it is. Plus NAVI and TINTS are first on my list, both scheduled for April...and that's 1200+ right there...

• 2 years later...

I used to be into Jeeps quite a bit and used K&N filters all the time until....

We sent in some oil (always used mobile one) and found the silica content in the oil was really high due to the K&N not filtering as good as the stock one.

There was a guy, I dont think it was bob the oil guy, but someone that was really into testing this stuff and found them not to be good as far as really filtering.

If you did a search on jeepsunlimited.com I bet you would find the info.

At any rate, I quit using them. One note is that it was in an offroad situation as well.

Archived