LegacyGT.com

08-09 STI Brakes - A New Adventure...

JSK05LGT

Ok folks, I have searched and found several comments on the 08-09 Brembo's, most of which confirmed the fronts should/will work, but the rears being completely different than the 04-07 STI Brembos, will not. I have an appointment on Tuesday with MachV to see about fabricating a bracket for the rears and to install the fronts. So I will keep you posted. I can only assume that in time mutiple vendors such as Onkel, Yimisport will make them, but hopefully I can help MachV be the first. Here are a few pics of the fronts, these things are massive!

Updated Photos Below! Rear 05's Installed, view page 4.

IMG_2247.thumb.jpg.387471c7a67090e4eb0a343054db69ec.jpg

IMG_2248.thumb.jpg.093ccf6d03a5aa290c286b97a5444db6.jpg

IMG_2253.thumb.jpg.0f229d0f3758a564976316d1fc8a65de.jpg

IMG_2269.thumb.jpg.12ab13eb8ab505f769d4a0d4fa49b9ed.jpg

IMG_2267.thumb.jpg.2771577aea393194c184f7faccb21e3d.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like I will now be in MD on Tuesday for work, so I will be rescheduling. Once again, if anyone has installed either the fronts or the rears please let me know what you found! Thanks!

Ok, so here are the results. The team at MachV had the front calipers and rotors mounted in less than 30 minutes. New pads installed, and lines blead. My OZ Ultraleggera's 18x8 (48 offset) cleared like a champ! No spacer required. You can see the included pictures. The rears however were a different story.

The rumor/facts you have heard, or read on the forums are correct, the bolt locations on the caliper are the exact same distance as the mount locations on the hub. This of course is the issue. All of the brackets available today are for the prior version of rear Brembos, and thus do not work. While the team at MachV tried their best to find a way to modify the current bracket, they unfortunatly are not armed with a machine shop on site :o)

At this point I am putting the rears up for sale for a great price for someone in a 08/09 WRX to pick up as they currently are the only ones with proper mounting solutions. Or for someone who has the ability to machine a bracket and custom rotor.

As for the feel, it is a night and day difference even with only the fronts mounted! The pedal feel and travel were instanty enhanced, I can only imagine what it will be like with a set of 04-07 rears installed. I can say that on multiple occassions I was able to test the brake bias as I was on my 2 hour drive back from Northern, VA to Richmond (I-95 IS HORRIBLE for stop and go) and I had no issues at all, from what I can tell, the distance to stop is shorter, or at least feels that way, then with the OEM fronts.

I hope this helps!

They took a few basic measurements when trying to modify an existing bracket, but im not sure what will come of it, also the rotor offset was incorrect, so that of course is a whole different issue.

Goyim: Yes, we used the 04 STI rotors.

Waxiboy: the measurement from center to center is 6 3/4", they are up on the For Sale forum if you are interested, $400.00 shipped! They have been cleaned and ready to go.

from what I can tell, the distance to stop is shorter, or at least feels that way, then with the OEM fronts.

It may feel this way, but it's certainly LONGER!!! With the bigger brakes in front you shifted the brake bias severely to the front, thus overall increasing stopping distance. It feels "nice", but this is misleading. Get rear Brembos asap.

OnkelRacing can hook you up with parking brake adapters and brackets ;)

Btw, it's impossible to make bracket that allow use of 08+ rear Brembos, unless a special offset rotor was fabricated, which of course makes it no go.

Im working on trying to get a set of rears now. Im going to go with a set of golds and have them painted/powdercoated.

You are right, it does feel shorter, luckily I am in rental cars more often than not, as I drive for a living at this point :o)

I purchased a set of DBA4000 Adapter Rotors, so I will not have any issue with the parking brake, seriously at this point everything should be 100% bolt on.

Chad W - To be honest, im not sure what size the rotors are for the 08's, as I havent measured the ones shipped with the calipers, all I know is the rears didnt bolt up, so I had to buy a set of 05 rears :o(

I purchased a set of DBA4000 Adapter Rotors, so I will not have any issue with the parking brake, seriously at this point everything should be 100% bolt on.

What issues are you taking about? There are no issues with my adapter parking brake shoes. They fit like factory - they are made using OEM factory cores. Paired with STI rotors they don't cause any gaps between rotor and the backing plate.

Onkel - I am not referencing your parking brake shoes at all. I simply stated on the above line that using the DBA Adapter Rotors (properly sized for the parking brake) that I would not need anything additional for the parking brake.

Make sure you post pics when your done. I love the new black calipers. To bad the rear ones wont fit our cars... How much did the calipers cost over all? Front 08+ and rear 04-07. I plan on upgrading my brakes and found great prices on rotors, lines, pads, and fluid seperate. So all I'll need is the calipers. Also if anyone know the part numbers on them that would be sweet too.

Depends... I purchased fronts and rears from an 08, so they were in really good shape, I paid 1400.00 for the fronts and rears including rotors (I plan on selling the rotors just to recoup a little $) But it turned out the speculations were true, they didnt fit and cant fit unless a bracket is machined, which costs even more. So I spent an additional 500.00 on a clean set of 05 rears and they are being painted in a gloss black to try and match as well as possible. So essentially just wanting black steathly, non-attention getting brakes cost me 1900.00 :o)

Archived