LegacyGT.com

Rear wheel bearing failure warranty extended to 100,000 miles

azca

My bearings are being replaced tomorrow.. Thought they would come back and say.. We couldnt find/hear anything wrong.. Lets just say the whole shop was interested in "how bad they where"

Being replaced under the 100k warranty.. i have 91k on the odo

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone had there replacement bearings go bad in around 15,000 miles.

We had the dealer replace both rears at 95,000. They said they thought one of the fronts was on its way out, at the time, I had them leave the front alone.

The fronts had seamed to be getting louder. So, last week end at 110,000 I replaced both fronts my self. Car was quieter at slow speeds, but still makes a bearing noise as you go faster, sound like its coming from the drivers side rear. Could it really be that one of the replacements only lasted 15k?

I just had mine replaced about 2 weeks ago. No questions asked, 2005 LGT with 60k miles. It sounded like an airplane on take off! Now it's nice and quiet again! I gotta say, Napleton Subaru in Schaumburg has been pretty good for anyone in that area...they just called me to let me know they got parts in for a recall that has not been done yet on my car and will have that done too.

i'm having mine checked at Van Bortel tomorrow. gonna drop the car off in the morning and have them take a look. the lady on the phone would not commit to whether or not they'll fix it under the TSB, but i have hope that they will. they're usually very good about such things.

$5 loaner/rental for the day. hope i get something fun. maybe a H6? :)

Yeah, that's all well and good but did you get a loaner with an H6 or not? ;)

I got a "rental." $5 for the day. They were out of legacies and outbacks. I got a '12 forester. :(

But at least it was familiar since my wife has an '09.

• 1 month later...

Mine went swiftly when I changed rims from 17 inch oem, to the Subaru 18 inch Spec B. rims (105K). About a month after the swap I noticed the deep continuous tone/ humming, but only on the highway. i too assumed it was coming from tire to road contact. Since then tt has gotten worse (more noticeable). Clay Subaru in Norwood, MA. says that it's only the drivers side rear bearing. He only had my car for 2 hours, how the hell would he know its not both?

I now have 115k, should I change both rear bearings or one??? Doing the work myself!!!

• 1 year later...
Would I be covered for warranty because a couple of days ago I hear noise whenever I accelerate and start the car. The sound seems to be coming from the rear driver side. I bought this car used at 15k miles from a dealership, but not a subaru one and now its at about 80k miles. How fast does this have to be fixed because if I would have to pay out of my own pocket I would have to wait til I have the money. As well as does anyone know how much it would cost if I had to get it fixed. Thanks

Mine went swiftly when I changed rims from 17 inch oem, to the Subaru 18 inch Spec B. rims (105K). About a month after the swap I noticed the deep continuous tone/ humming, but only on the highway. i too assumed it was coming from tire to road contact. Since then tt has gotten worse (more noticeable). Clay Subaru in Norwood, MA. says that it's only the drivers side rear bearing. He only had my car for 2 hours, how the hell would he know its not both?

I now have 115k, should I change both rear bearings or one??? Doing the work myself!!!

I would replace both at the same time if I were you. I say that because you may just want to spend one day working on your car in the garage instead of two. You also may have to rent a puller/impact to get the wheel bearing assembly off the car.

I had both of mine (rear) replaced under warranty at 105,000 miles. After speaking with SOA and pouring a little sugar on it, they agree to split the cost with me.

A few months later, one of the replacement wheel bearings went bad after only 6,000 miles of use. SOA told me I was SOL and I ended up replacing the bad wheel bearing myself. In the mean time, our rear wheel bearings have been superseded by a new design/part #. I suppose it was redesigned to address the bad wheel bearing issue, but that is speculation on my part.

FYI - Instead of buying them at the dealer - Try RockAuto.com and choose Timken as the brand. These are identical to the new Subaru rear wheel bearings. May save you a few bucks.

^I had mine replace about a year ago (both rear @75k) dealer/SOA covered everything, just take it in and have it checked, the dealer will be reimbursed by SOA

He has 115k on his car. SOA will tell him to FO.

Archived