LegacyGT.com

Rear wheel bearing failure warranty extended to 100,000 miles

azca

Is it a recall? I am concerned I will go down there and they will hit me with a fat reciept. please let me know what you think. I DO NOT have a warranty.

So you're saying you've got more than 100K on the car? The rear wheel bearing warranty was extended to 100,000 miles.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/24/921208/03-58-08%20-%20Subaru%20Rear%20Wheel%20Bearing%20TSB.pdf

If you've got less than 100K on the car YOU DO have a warranty for the rear wheel bearings.

Cheers!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Went in today and they are going to replace both rears. They said my car might have the worst bearings they have encountered...Whoops. The bearings are in a back order for at least 10 days, they said they will call me when they arrive and they dont recommend I drive my car at all. I have no other source of transportation so lets hope all stays well until I get the new bearings . I was not sure about the warranty deal. This is my 1st big purchase with cars and all my previous others were over 100K so warranty was never even coincidered. Thank you guys alot, saved me hundreds from going to my machanic who also had no idea.

I had a rear wheel bearing fail like 3.5 years ago, and the dealer denied my warranty repair request (aftermarket springs). If I can dig up that paperwork and the receipt for the wheel bearing I replaced myself, do you think SOA would reimburse me based on this new extended warranty? I think it was just like $100 for the part, but I was quite upset at the time and would like to stick it to them, if I can.

On a side note, a couple years later I brought my car to a different dealer for the 30k service work and when I picked up the car they told me that in addition to the standard work, they went ahead and replaced 2 wheel bearings under warranty. So I learned a good lesson about how all dealerships are not equal.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Add me to the wheel bearing failure club. Nearly 62k, 05LGT.

I get not just a hum but also a "whubwhubwhubwhub" sound from the rear driver's side. I put my winter tires on this afternoon and the sound is exactly the same, so the tires are eliminated as the source of the noise.

Starts between 40 and 50 mph, loud hum that gets higher pitched as I speed up. At 70 it's so loud you can't hold a conversation.

I have the TSB printed out in case my dealer is unaware of the extended warranty.

im getting my noisy rearend checked out friday... hoping that it something as simple as my rear wheel bearings! my noise isnt as loud as what some people are reporting, but its there! car's @ 95k miles so nows as good of a time as any.

The bearing will get progressively louder the longer you let it go. My wife, who's mostly deaf in one ear, heard my first bearing going more than a month before I did! :eek::lol:;)

I had a rear wheel bearing fail like 3.5 years ago, and the dealer denied my warranty repair request (aftermarket springs). If I can dig up that paperwork and the receipt for the wheel bearing I replaced myself, do you think SOA would reimburse me based on this new extended warranty? I think it was just like $100 for the part, but I was quite upset at the time and would like to stick it to them, if I can.

On a side note, a couple years later I brought my car to a different dealer for the 30k service work and when I picked up the car they told me that in addition to the standard work, they went ahead and replaced 2 wheel bearings under warranty. So I learned a good lesson about how all dealerships are not equal.

It's worth it to try! I don't see how springs could damage bearings anyway.

Got my car back.. They test drove the car, confirmed the bad bearing and replaced it under the extended warranty. Got my car back later in the day.

My rental was an '09 2.5i auto. Nice car, but I've been spoiled by the turbo and the stick. :D

Got my car back.. They test drove the car, confirmed the bad bearing and replaced it under the extended warranty. Got my car back later in the day.

My rental was an '09 2.5i auto. Nice car, but I've been spoiled by the turbo and the stick. :D

Yay for extended bearing warranty!!! :wub::lol:;)

I hear you on the turbo and stick comment. Totally spoiled here too. :D

It's worth it to try! I don't see how springs could damage bearings anyway.

I bet some dealerships would deny you this warranty for having aftermarket wheels b/c of the different offset. Subaru service is very different one dealership to another, mostly terrible imo.

I bet some dealerships would deny you this warranty for having aftermarket wheels b/c of the different offset. Subaru service is very different one dealership to another, mostly terrible imo.

I guess that's a possibility. Mine didn't.

^ My service department replace a front wheel bearing for free and I have many obvious suspension mods. I think they made a mistake when reading the TSB, which I forgot to mention on my way out the door :p.

Just saying, it's possible.

Totally forgot to get back to you guys, I ended up calling subaru back a couple days later even though they werent soppose to have the bearings in for at least anothher 7 days but it was a + for me since they magically had 2 bearings in stock. got them replaced and I think my car is rolling so smooth now I love it! Thanks big time, I love this forum it has saved me damn near a $1,000 already.

• 5 months later...
mines scheduled for this saturday to have the bearings checked. i have learned to ignore the sound...but when others ride in the car it seems to slightly make then deaf. so i figure its about time. on the downside, the dealership seemed to have no clue what i was talking about when i mentioned the bearing warranty. so i faxed them over the paperwork. hopefully this works out!

Im scheduled to have the left rear checked/replaced tomorrow. The guy in service I talked to on the phone knew right away what I was talking about when I mentioned extended rear wheel bearing warranty, took my vin, and confirmed my car qualifies. :)

I have an 08 Legacy GT LTD, 21k and the rear wheel bearings were just replaced last week - sounded like a plane taking off back there! Driving home, i hear a hum hum noise from the front, turned around and went back to the dealer, only to find the Front bearings have failed too! They will replace them also under warranty later this week! Probably didn't hear them with all the noise coming from the rear's! On a side not, a "clunk/thunk" kinda noise that i heard in the rear is also gone and the car feels nice n tight again, especially around corners - i have a similar clunk in the front, hopefully that will go away too!

Possibly, and probably not.

Sway bars dont directly put any more stress on bearings, though they may try to say so since you are more likely to drive agressively if you have them. It's bull, don't buy it.

A lowered car on the other hand puts more stress on them, and can definatly cause them to fail sooner. That one will come down to your dealer.

• 4 months later...
yeah, that what i was told too, at 20k!! - fight it - i had all 4 replaced even though they kept saying there was nothing wrong. They have had problems since 2005 and know it..........it may be a "certain vin" on the TSB, but i would fight it. Even if they pay for half of the repair its something!

Archived