LegacyGT.com

AVO Large hood scoop - with pics

LandShark

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree--this body kit is really sharp. Anyone know where it comes from??

CJC

it comes from k2k2 in japan, the same source as the carbon fiber winglet at the top of the back glass on the BE legacy I posted on the previous page.

http://www.k2k2.jp/

The M5 looking kit is for the new BP wagon. The skirts and front bumper will fit a sedan (their translated webpage says as much) and they are currently adapting the design of the rear bumper from the wagon kit for sedan fitment, and it requires a jdm Spec. B grille. I didn't know that the JDM grilles were different from each other...

The more I think about this M5 ripoff kit, the more I like and want it when I get a legacy. It needs a front lip spoiler, like the JDM Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B STi part, just a black lip under the air-dam. probably a higher ride-height with that, too.

The rear window winglet is for the previous generation Legacy Sedan, and the pictures do show it on a ('02-03?) BE Legacy Blitzen. I hope they develop another to properly fit a BL (new) Legacy B4 sedan.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

it comes from k2k2 in japan, the same source as the carbon fiber winglet at the top of the back glass on the BE legacy I posted on the previous page.

http://www.k2k2.jp/

The M5 looking kit is for the new BP wagon. The skirts and front bumper will fit a sedan (their translated webpage says as much) and they are currently adapting the design of the rear bumper from the wagon kit for sedan fitment, and it requires a jdm Spec. B grille. I didn't know that the JDM grilles were different from each other...

The more I think about this M5 ripoff kit, the more I like and want it when I get a legacy. It needs a front lip spoiler, like the JDM Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B STi part, just a black lip under the air-dam. probably a higher ride-height with that, too.

The rear window winglet is for the previous generation Legacy Sedan, and the pictures do show it on a ('02-03?) BE Legacy Blitzen. I hope they develop another to properly fit a BL (new) Legacy B4 sedan.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Great information--thanks much. They've got great stuff--wish I could get my hands on the kit.

CJC

We got our first one in to send off to a customer, so took some pics to hopefully improve on the ones that k2k2 had:

http://www.avoturboworld.com/news/2005_03_prod/images/avo_parts_55.jpg

http://www.avoturboworld.com/news/2005_03_prod/images/avo_parts_56.jpg

http://www.avoturboworld.com/news/2005_03_prod/images/avo_parts_59.jpg

http://www.avoturboworld.com/news/2005_03_prod/images/avo_parts_60.jpg

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

http://www.sevenphotos.com

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I ordered one from AVO and had it painted and installed it myself. Unfortunatly didn't take any pics cause I went to Cali for the turbo install, and you guys know about my transmission. The fiberglass work is some of the best I have seen for such a small item, and the fit to the hood is perfect and flush. I only needed to sand down a little bit at where the fiberglass comes to the lips or seems, the rest of it was smooth as glass. It uses 4 bolt holes that the original scoop piece has, and uses the stock air diverter under the hood, then 3M tape around the rest to ensure a tight finish and water proofing. So it attaches at the original scoop opening, and the rest just covers the original bulg on the hood to make it look as smooth as possible, real easy install. Looks pretty big from in the cab, but really does not hamper view at all, and took about 15 minutes to really get used to it.

Now if they made a whole new hood, with a better scoop, I would have gotten it, but I wanted better airflow into the Perrin Intercooler for the new turbo install and tune! I called k2k2, and spoke with a guy that tried his best to explain to me, but his english was a little rusty or off, but I got the jist of what he said. The whole purpose of the scoop was for looks and function, one to match the body kit and secondly cause the red car you see, belongs to the owner of the shop, and he did a STI turbo conversion and intake swap, but was having pinging problems. The new scoop is raised on the hood by about two inches from the base to the top. The opening is the same as stock but it is designed to be more directly into the airflow, thus forcing more air into the intercooler. This setup according to them increased airflow by 30%, as most of the airflow shown by windtunnel testing would go over the original scoop, thus curring his pinging problem. Now looking straight into the original scoop, I noticed that about 1/4 of the scoop dipped into the hood, and the new scoop installed showed direct flow into the hood scoop. They just raised up the scoop to the airflow that normally directs itself over the hood, to catch more air at speed.

Now I really believe that it works, for one, after install, I noticed improved throttle response at speeds of 55 and greater, and the car seemed to pull a little better on the freeway. Secondly in one week, I had seen more bugs and pebbles on the intercooler, than I have seen since owning the car! I am now looking at really making some kind of mesh grill to protect my intercooler now.

The look is not as flattering at all angles, but it really does not look that obtrusive, and looks very stock like compared to STI and WRX hood scoops.

This item sells for $300 over there, but since we got import tax, and expensive overseas shipping costs, that is why it is so expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

hodgeee,

can u please post some pics here of your AVO hood scoop once you finally get your LGT back to Vegas?

take several shots to show the raised height and front (air) view. some side shots too

What are eyelinds made out of vinyl?

They can be made out of vinyl. Probably not the ones he is talking about. If you could trace a set then you could probably cut some out of vinyl and make them yourself. These are going to be painted ABS probably.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I think this is way late, but if the S401 story is still somewhere on apexjapan, then you'll find that the original BE variant of the scoop previously under discussion roughly doubled the amount of air going through the IC (as tested in FHI's wind tunnel IIRC - STI was rather surprised by the results it seemed). K2 decided that since Subaru would not sell the scoops to people, they would - hence the appearance of this for the BE/BH era cars initially.

K2 took one look at the new Legacy and decided it should work for the new car too, and there you have it. More frontal area gains a greater ram effect therefore forcing more air where it needs to go (usually). Using a design that combined much better intake geometry with relatively clean lines (less turbulence around the intake etc.) made it relatively simple for K2 to do it for the BL/BP. IMHO it also looks pretty clean.

Now, if you are looking for a really effective bit of kit to help prevent det, AVO does a nifty multi-meter unit that can run an auto water spray that is smarter than your avg unit - ie it doesn't just spray water lots so you run out quickly. Without going into detail, it does a good job of cooling the IC before you get stuck into it, which can help to minimise det at takeoff (sadly, relatively common due to heat soak when standing). It also tells you if the water and engine oil is going to blow bits off, among other things ;)

HTH

PS the eyelids contribute at least 50 brake to the ATW outputs:D

I have a 95 with an STI hood scoop and I like the way it looks and it sucks more air on to the intercooler than the smaller hood scoop. It also makes the car stand out from all the other legacys out there. I love the B4 in the back ground, I wish I could get my hands on one of those...

Archived