LegacyGT.com

Tipping the sales person?

dondon

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! It worked! I got a tip! To the member who sent my paypal the $1 (for sex, or forum flaming I am not sure) THANKS!

You started a new trend. From now on when I get good advice, or royally flamed here on the forum I too will leave $1 in the paypal account of the member (provided I know the account address).

Tips for everyone!

Now what mod to buy with my tip money...

Ah...good times. I sold cars at a honda/chevy/ford dealership for about a year in California. Our particular dealership was a nightmare. Most of the other salesmen were complete douches and the sales managers were some of the worst people I've ever met. They ran things the "old school" way, such as in the Edmunds write up. It was managed by a bunch of uneducated people with a warped sense of reality. I am a car fanatic and love to talk and educate people about cars. Working at that dealership took the joy out of this for me. We (the salesmen) were monitored by cameras all the time...and if someone left the lot you were chewed out by the douchebag sales manager for not selling them a car...as if everyone was going to buy who entered the lot. This is kind of me just venting, but my point is, there are some dealerships who realize they can't get away with the old four-square 8 hour negotiation from hell. The salesmen are usually puppets of the faceless bastards hiding in their tower. It's easy to tell someone their $20,000 trade-in is only worth $8,000 when you can hide like a bitch. Car sells were so slow that most of us only made minimum wage. (the salesman turnover rate was so bad they kept an open ad in the paper) Most people know what they want when they are car shopping and the smart ones do the whole deal via internet department before they even enter the dealership. I wouldn't be surprised to see most car salesmen going the way of the dodo. I think the car buying experience will be much better in about 10 years when the old school douchebags are gone. Oh, and to go along with the actual post. I never asked, expected, or received a tip...

Just to clarify, I seem to recall reading somewhere that a few people will give the sales person an extra $50 or $100 after closing the deal. I realize they do get a commission, but my understanding is that it is pretty small. Can anyone with knowledge comment on the amount of profit the dealership generally gets for each sale, and then how much of it goes to the sales person?

Wow, long gone are the days when car salesmen and real estate agents would take the customer out for dinner after the close of a sale...

I was out there last weekend helping my niece buy her first new car. I heard one lie after another from salespeople. ("We're not making any profit. We're giving you the car at this price to build the relationship.") ("The $299 documentation fee is pre-printed on the sales invoice, so we can't take that off the price. If we crossed it out, we could be sued and would have to refund it to all past buyers.") ("I make sure all my relatives buy the extended warranty. I want them to be protected.") Man, you have to be a real idiot to tip those people.

If it was a new car, then the salesman probably didn't make much money (our "mini's" were $100). It's the rest of the dealership that launders and make all the money. I would usually try to get the price as low as possible for new car customers, because I would make $100 either way. The dealerships "invoice" pricing usually is close to msrp. But, they get other incentives (Number of inventory sold, ect..) which the salesmen get nothing. So in a sense, the salesman really has a small margin of profit from new car sells (there are always exceptions of course for specific cars). That's why they'll usually show you a used vehicle, that is where salesmen can make some money.

Archived