LegacyGT.com

Tipping the sales person?

dondon

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^^^in that article it shows how much sales people really make these days.

I'll say it once again: how much a sales person gets paid by the dealership is not the customer's problem. If I'm supposed to be concerned about your pay, then it works both ways. So if I walk into your dealership and tell you I'm jobless, I expect a 50% discount on a new car. Like the tip, it's a good way for you to express your sympathy about my situation. (At the very minimum, I'm sure you'll want to give me a hundred or so for just walking in the door. It shows you care.) :lol:

I'll say it once again: how much a sales person gets paid by the dealership is not the customer's problem. If I'm supposed to be concerned about your pay, then it works both ways. So if I walk into your dealership and tell you I'm jobless, I expect a 50% discount on a new car. Like the tip, it's a good way for you to express your sympathy about my situation. (At the very minimum, I'm sure you'll want to give me a hundred or so for just walking in the door. It shows you care.) :lol:

:yeahthat::dm:

If you're jobless and needing money you have no business buying a car. Aside from that, you are missing the point of my entire argument. I never said you must tip because we don't get paid. But if you're gonna come in to argue down the price and that's money outta my pocket I'm gonna try to protect every little penny I can whereas if you offer a tip I would be more inclined to give you a better deal without all the haggle because you are taking into consideration that you're taking money away from me when I'm the one spending time to show you the vehicle.

Now if you don't want to do that, then fine...don't. But you will never know for sure whether you got a "good" deal or not...let alone the deal period. I get someone wanting invoice salespeople just won't help because I could be working with someone else where they could make money. Plus they'll fight the managers harder to get the deal you want because they know they'll still be getting a little money.

But your argument about me paying you because you don't have a job is stupid and doesn't even apply. Unfortunately with how the industry is, you the customer pay my salary for me taking the time to show you the vehicle and why you would want this.

If you're jobless and needing money you have no business buying a car. Aside from that, you are missing the point of my entire argument. I never said you must tip because we don't get paid. But if you're gonna come in to argue down the price and that's money outta my pocket I'm gonna try to protect every little penny I can whereas if you offer a tip I would be more inclined to give you a better deal without all the haggle because you are taking into consideration that you're taking money away from me when I'm the one spending time to show you the vehicle.

Now if you don't want to do that, then fine...don't. But you will never know for sure whether you got a "good" deal or not...let alone the deal period. I get someone wanting invoice salespeople just won't help because I could be working with someone else where they could make money. Plus they'll fight the managers harder to get the deal you want because they know they'll still be getting a little money.

But your argument about me paying you because you don't have a job is stupid and doesn't even apply. Unfortunately with how the industry is, you the customer pay my salary for me taking the time to show you the vehicle and why you would want this.

You're making this way too complicated. I do my homework when I negotiate for a car and I know pretty much what the price range should be. Plus, a sales person usually doesn't have to spend much time showing me the car. I often know more about the car's specs than they do.

If my target price is reasonable and you don't want to meet it -- tip or not -- I walk. The car you tried to sell me can then rot on the lot until a sucker walks in the door and is willing to pay you more money. When I bought the last Subaru, I politely walked two times from the same salesperson. At the end of each day, I got a call at home from the dealership owner (it's a mom and pop) offering concessions and pleading with me to come back. I got what I thought was my best price and I'm sure the sales person and dealership did just fine. I have no allusions that I got some special "deal" or out-negotiated the dealer. Dealers don't sell cars at prices that cause them to lose money. Anyone who walks away thinking they outsmarted the dealer is a sap.

BTW, no tip was necessary and I really don't care how much the sales person made. That's his problem. If he's unhappy, he should find another line of work.

All of your stuff about "fighting the managers" to get the customer a better deal is the type of car sale BS described in the Edmund's article. We all know that when a sales person says he's going to the manager's office to get us a lower price, he's really just heading off to the men's room.:)

Not really....I'm merely offering a different way to look at things and avoid all the bs. Take your last buying experience you mentioned above...It took you three visits and how many hours to finally get the deal you were wanting, and that doesn't even count any other dealerships you may or may not have visited. Had you just offered a small tip, I can say that you would have saved a lot of time and money. Often times, people who try this "tactic" end up paying more than they orginally wanted because they get flustered and tired of running around and finally decided to take the last offer....even then, they (and this could have happened to you as well) pay a little more because the dealership is going to bump that a little...and most (not all) finally just say ok. Then you have no idea if you get screwed "on the back end" in finance, because those are numbers you can't see....and even those (like you) who read edmunds can only get so far.

Now, had you tipped the salesperson, I can say they would have gone and worked for the price you wanted, because they were already making their money. Why would they care what the dealership makes....especially because the tip is dependant upon the salesperson getting the price offered by the customer. This is also why it's important to find someone you can trust.

Anyway....like I've said, this is advice from someone who has been on both sides of the "negotiating tabe". Obviously you like going to dealerships and wasting your day haggling over a couple hundred dollars. Most people don't. So if you don't like wasting a Saturday car shopping, try it my way and see what happens. You might be surprised. Worst case, you get the price you want (because if you're going to offer a salesperson $200, then drop your asking price by that much). Then you are not out ANYTHING, have a new car, got the deal you wanted and saved yourself some time.

Just because Edmunds tells you (the customer) that salespeople are evil, because one guy didn't like the experience (which based on his intro, was predetermined anyway), doesn't mean salespeople are all a**holes. Remember, Edmunds doesn't go buy cars all the time (and for a few they have, they have relationships forged so they can do this), so they aren't experts....they are merely guides and some of the things they say are bs....their website is not GOSPEL.

Once again, and I'm gonna leave it at this....this is merely a different way to try and buy a car. You can try it or not. I really don't care. I'm just trying to help others out, all the while helping you, the salesperson and helping you to forge a relationship with the salesperson/dealership for any future service needs or vehicles.

Longislander, you are one of the few patient people to go through all that to save a few hundred bucks...and the way you were able to is perfectly fine. If you are happy and think you got a great deal, then awesome! Most people won't want to go through the trouble you did and if they don't, then this is a why to avoid some of that.

Guest heightsgtltd
Not really....I'm merely offering a different way to look at things and avoid all the bs. Take your last buying experience you mentioned above...It took you three visits and how many hours to finally get the deal you were wanting, and that doesn't even count any other dealerships you may or may not have visited. Had you just offered a small tip, I can say that you would have saved a lot of time and money. Often times, people who try this "tactic" end up paying more than they orginally wanted because they get flustered and tired of running around and finally decided to take the last offer....even then, they (and this could have happened to you as well) pay a little more because the dealership is going to bump that a little...and most (not all) finally just say ok. Then you have no idea if you get screwed "on the back end" in finance, because those are numbers you can't see....and even those (like you) who read edmunds can only get so far.

Now, had you tipped the salesperson, I can say they would have gone and worked for the price you wanted, because they were already making their money. Why would they care what the dealership makes....especially because the tip is dependant upon the salesperson getting the price offered by the customer. This is also why it's important to find someone you can trust.

Anyway....like I've said, this is advice from someone who has been on both sides of the "negotiating tabe". Obviously you like going to dealerships and wasting your day haggling over a couple hundred dollars. Most people don't. So if you don't like wasting a Saturday car shopping, try it my way and see what happens. You might be surprised. Worst case, you get the price you want (because if you're going to offer a salesperson $200, then drop your asking price by that much). Then you are not out ANYTHING, have a new car, got the deal you wanted and saved yourself some time.

Just because Edmunds tells you (the customer) that salespeople are evil, because one guy didn't like the experience (which based on his intro, was predetermined anyway), doesn't mean salespeople are all a**holes. Remember, Edmunds doesn't go buy cars all the time (and for a few they have, they have relationships forged so they can do this), so they aren't experts....they are merely guides and some of the things they say are bs....their website is not GOSPEL.

Once again, and I'm gonna leave it at this....this is merely a different way to try and buy a car. You can try it or not. I really don't care. I'm just trying to help others out, all the while helping you, the salesperson and helping you to forge a relationship with the salesperson/dealership for any future service needs or vehicles.

Longislander, you are one of the few patient people to go through all that to save a few hundred bucks...and the way you were able to is perfectly fine. If you are happy and think you got a great deal, then awesome! Most people won't want to go through the trouble you did and if they don't, then this is a why to avoid some of that.

First off, :orly: there is a salesman's code of honor that they follow? :lol:

Are you suggesting that you tell a salesman that he or she will get a tip if they get you the best deal??

Secondly, why should you need to tip a salesperson who is making money on the car already to be treated properly? :iam:

I can't believe this thread continues. Probably because of the audacity of the just the idea of tipping a car salesman. I mean, LOL ridiculous. Tips are normally paid to people in service industries. Next thing you know, you will want me to pay the Best Buy salesman a tip :lol: .

If some car salesman really needs tips from customers, they need to start looking for another job.

Car sales is providing a service. Legally we do not sell cars. We can't sell something we don't own.

Aside from that, if you don't feel like doing it then don't. But I've given plenty of benefits to doing it not seen any reasons not to except that it's ridiculous and to go find another job.

My sales guy has made 500 bucks off me in the past 5 years with commission, that is quite a bit more than I've tipped other "service" people. I can see tipping exotic car "sales-people" as they are more like wait-staff and spend an immensely larger amount of time with you than a "regular" salesperson....

To the folks advocating tipping a general salesperson; tipped a cop, firefighter or nurse lately? Its only their job to save your life....

I want tips too!!!

Me, Me, Me, Me!

Should I tip the RV salesman? Boat salesman? Off road vehicle salesman? The guy at Lowes who showed me the lawn mowers? How about the sales lady at the jewlery counter when I bought my wifes wedding ring? This BS can go on forever. Lets just agree to tip every friggin person we encounter all day. Maybe we could just walk around with 1 hand out and a sign around our necks "now accepting CASH".

Can we end this finally? I'm getting too tired to keep flaming.

^^ Tips for flaming too?

You looking for cash, or an instructional video? Cash is a tip. ;) Video might be a marketable product for me, hmm... I'm sure I know a few members on here with the flaming skills to have input on the video. Might be a collaboration. :lol::lol::lol:

I apologize to my fellow members for reviving this stupid thread by posting the Edmund's article. It was clearly a re-hash of all the dealer BS that we buyers put up with. I thank my fellow members for taking up the flaming so I could stop wasting my time with this. It's clear that tipping (bribing) a sales person is a really dumb idea and you will not likely get a penny extra off your deal for doing so.

Archived