LegacyGT.com

Tipping the sales person?

dondon

Are you supposed to tip the guy at Pep Boys who installs your wipers?

You never have to tip anyone ever. But in doing so you are helping another individual out and will ensure you always get good service. You do something out of the ordinary, people remember and will always go out of their way for you. If you don't want that, then don't tip.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying people must tip or reward or anything. What I am saying is if you want exceptional service and to always have, tipping goes a long way. It separates you out from all the others out there and people remember.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fo'shizzle.

Instead of tipping, donate a few bucks to LGT.com.

Tipping has its time and place. Tipping the front desk clerk at the Bellagio last week got us a VIP room with a Lakeside Fountain view for 4 nights. Not tipping the taxi driver because he didn't help us load and unload our stuff at the airport and also at the hotel, and yapping on his bluetooth phone the whole drive didn't do us any favors either, but hopefully made him realize he didn't do anything that deserved a few bucks on top of the fare.

Tipping the front desk clerk at the Bellagio last week got us a VIP room with a Lakeside Fountain view for 4 nights.

Interesting; you just gave him a tip at the front desk before he started checking you in? How much?

I dunno, did you ever work in the restaraunt business. I certainly was never one to go around and beg for tips, usually the quality of more work spoke for itself when I got tipped out at the end of the day. But, there are always people who ask for more and more and more and then leave nothing. Teachers tend to be the worst offenders, no offense to anyone. I def. tip alot more after working this industry, even to bar tenders who do tend to earn a normal wage.

Yes, I did. All through High school and College. Started as a dish washer, then waited tables, then line cook, then dining room manager, then kitchen manager. Worked everything from retirement homes, chain restaurants, catering, to pizza. It sucked! Taught me to keep working hard at school and get the career I really wanted. :)

It's easy to say if you don't like it find another job, but the fact is that people work where they do for a reason and you never know their circstances. So you shouldn't judge. If it was so easy to find another job that's better and pays well, everyone would do it and be happy but that's not the case.

Not judging. But I have had lots of jobs that sucked. Hated them so much I went back to school to learn a new career. Had to work two jobs for two years straight to finish school. Worked in the afternoon and into the night as a manager at Dominos, then delivered newpapers all night for the LA Times. Worst two years of my adult life. Barely able to pay the rent and put food on the table, but in the end IT WAS WORTH IT. This was all during the economic downturn of the early 90's.

So, from my personal experience... If you really hate your job and want more out of life you can do it. It isn't easy, but anything that is really good is not usually easy.

Not judging. But I have had lots of jobs that sucked. Hated them so much I went back to school to learn a new career. Had to work two jobs for two years straight to finish school. Worked in the afternoon and into the night as a manager at Dominos, then delivered newpapers all night for the LA Times. Worst two years of my adult life. Barely able to pay the rent and put food on the table, but in the end IT WAS WORTH IT. This was all during the economic downturn of the early 90's.

So, from my personal experience... If you really hate your job and want more out of life you can do it. It isn't easy, but anything that is really good is not usually easy.

I'm doing exactly that. I will be finished with my degree in a few months and then on to bigger things (hopefully). This job is just a temporary thing and pays the bills I currently have. I'd hate to have to do this my whole life. This is why I don't care about "ripping people's heads off" on car deals. I'm just saying that the tipping or offering (as mentioned by someone above) can get you special treatment.

Referrals are nice, but because they come way after the fact, they are meaningless to offer while you are trying to buy your car vs offering something on the spot. Plus because thus industry has such high turnover you can send a referral and the sales person never get it. So contrary to what others have stated a "tip" is better while you (the customer) are trying to purchase a vehicle.

But yes, this industry sucks and I am actually working on changing. I'm just stuck here for the time being. I could sell another brand and def make more money (especially because I'm selling subarus in Texas) but I'd rather sell something I believe in and can honest say is a good vehicle to the point where I drive one myself.

Interesting; you just gave him a tip at the front desk before he started checking you in? How much?

No, after we got our first room assignment my wife said to ask for something better with a little tip... so I handed him a fiddy and asked for a room facing the strip.

There's a couple problems with some of the things said here. First with regards to profit margins. If Subaru raises those then the car will ultimately become more expensive. Second I don't know of any sales people that get paid on holdback.

And I'm not saying you have to be bff's with your sales person but being considering of the salesperson can help you get a better without the bs.

No, the car doesn't have to get more expensive. SOA and the dealers have to be a little less greedy. If the car gets more expensive, the customer walks to another brand. Except for AWD, it's pretty competitive out there with the quality sedans that Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Mazda have to offer.

On the holdback, it's none of my business whether a salesperson gets compensated from that. The point I was making is that a holdback is still money on the table and, as far as I know, there's no law prohibiting a dealer from sharing some of the holdback with the customer. So when a salesperson acknowledges that there IS a holdback, but refuses to fork over any of it, do you really think I should give him a tip for that refusal??

As far as your last point, a million dollars still wouldn't take enough BS out of the typical dealer transaction. It will always be there in one form or another. Even the Subaru salesman that I spoke favorably about was doing the typical handwringing over how little he thought my trade was worth.

No, the car doesn't have to get more expensive. SOA and the dealers have to be a little less greedy. If the car gets more expensive, the customer walks to another brand. Except for AWD, it's pretty competitive out there with the quality sedans that Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Mazda have to offer.

On the holdback, it's none of my business whether a salesperson gets compensated from that. The point I was making is that a holdback is still money on the table and, as far as I know, there's no law prohibiting a dealer from sharing some of the holdback with the customer. So when a salesperson acknowledges that there IS a holdback, but refuses to fork over any of it, do you really think I should give him a tip for that refusal??

As far as your last point, a million dollars still wouldn't take enough BS out of the typical dealer transaction. It will always be there in one form or another. Even the Subaru salesman that I spoke favorably about was doing the typical handwringing over how little he thought my trade was worth.

I agree there is a ton of bs. Next time try offering your salesguy a little kick back and see if things change. The thing is you're arguing over something you've never tried. That's like saying to the guy a few posts up that you should never tip the front desk. He should always make sure his customers have the best room...but look what happened, he went back, tipped him and got a MUCH better room. Until you try, you can't say it's not worth it. You might be surprised at what happens. There will still be some bs, but the salesman will now be your advocate and not your adversary. You didn't offer your salesman anything to help him out and the point is, it needs to be outside of the deal, not included.

I am pretty generous when it comes to tipping but your best bet is to fill out the post purchase survey with really good ratings and hand write something about how helpful and knowledgeable your salesman was. Another good thing to say would be how much of an asset that salesman is to the dealership. That will help him out more in the long run.

+1

What a concept (hard work=better life) I don't feel enough

people realize this.:spin:

But I do tip very well if I get good service no matter what Industry it is. I've gotten some very surpised reactions in situations where people don't usually tip it's actually fun to see the reaction and appreciation of the recognition when it's not expected

So contrary to what others have stated a "tip" is better while you (the customer) are trying to purchase a vehicle.

Most of what are normally considered "tips" are after-the-fact gratuities. Looks to me as if this in-progress "tip" should really be considered a flat-out bribe. HPH

You didn't offer your salesman anything to help him out and the point is, it needs to be outside of the deal, not included.

So you mean I should have bribed him under the table? To do what? Take away some bucks from the dealership and give it to me? That sound dishonest.

I think I helped him out by buying my two cars there. Subarus are a dime a dozen and there are lots of places to buy them.

I'm saying that if you offer it to the sales person they are more likely to help you with price. If the guy is honest he won't accept the money but appreciate the gesture and work harder to get you a better deal.

And like I said, if you came to me and did that I wouldn't not accept it but would appreciate that you want the best deal but also at the same time understand that in order to get that you are taking money away from and are trying to help with that. And because you actually cared I would work harder to get you the deal you wanted and not take the money. Even if you then offered it to me just to say thank you after the deal. But I you come in trying to play hard ball being a jerk to me, I'm not going to work with you, spend my time wasting it and not making any money when I could be with someone where I can make money...especially if you're being a jerk. Plain and simple. So you wanna know how to get a better deal, this is a way to get it. Just part of the game that customers want to play.

Why would you not pay a salesperson for extra time and effort they provide for you.

What?! I don't know about you in particular, but a salesman's job is to make as much money for the dealership as possible. Salesmen are just an obstacle to me, I already know everything I need to about the car, they're just a roadblock to me getting a good price on it.

Sales managers do the extact same thing as the sales person. You may think you're getting a better deal but you're not. In fact because the salesamaher has worked with you the entire time he knows how to show you want you want without giving anything up.

And burnout, you are just clueless as to how things things can work at a dealership if you truly believe what you just said. I cam show you anything I want to make you believe you have gotten a good deal when in reality you gotten nothing. But you actually treat the sales person like a human and not an obsticle you might actually find better deals.

I will never tip someone who's job is to make the sale price of a product as high as possible.

End of story.

Our job is to find you a car that you like, get a payment that you can afford and all the while make sone money so that we can afford to keep the doors open to do it again. I'll admit there are sone jerk salesmen out there who look to take advantage but with the way things are you not only have multiple options in cars but multiple dealerships selling those, so if you're not happy with the way you're treated find someone else to buy the car from that's helpful and willing to work with you.

Archived