LegacyGT.com

BLOWN VF-52's

I'm just trying to be helpful, so please don't flame me...

I work for a parts department in a dealership (non subaru). Unfortunately I do believe unless you actually recieved something in writing from these guys saying that they would cover this modification/installation... they may have you out to dry. Normally, a parts only warranty, outside of your vehicle warranty is good for x amound of miles and time (varrying company to company of coarse). Even if you bought this turbo over the counter, upon failure, the service department still needs to open a warranty repair order even if they NEVER touched the car. They will ask installed mileage, failure mileage, and ask you for a copy of the invoice when purchased or retrieve one from the parts department.

Say the parts department orders the wrong variation of a part, but it will still fit, and the buyer installs and has problems. Where I work... car comes in parts and labor are warranted.

Someone comes in and orders the wrong part knowingly... there isn't much we can do, although we really do try to take care of the customers here.

I'd say your best bet may actually be trying to deal with IHI directly and see where that goes...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was the turbo broken in properly? Who did the tune and what kind of boost numbers were you running?

I've heard this mentioned before..."was it properly broken in "

What is the proper way to break in a new turbo? Because I have a VF52 I plan to install.

No such thing as a break in procedure for a turbo:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/faqs.html#t12

Only thing you need to do is make sure you have adequate lubrication after you install the turbo and before you start the car. Usually you disable ignition or injectors and crank the engine over to prime the turbo with oil.

If you bought the vf52 thru the dealer, you might stand a chance, sort of like the dealer installed SPT parts. But not quite the same... unless SOA instructed service departments that substituting a dealer supplied VF52 for an oem VF40 was kosher, and would be covered by SOA. SOA covers dealer installed SPT parts, which is a big advantage over choosing parts from other vendors.

Sounds like you asked the dealer to install what was essentially an aftermarket part. If something goes wrong, they will ALWAYS claim the part must be bad, to avoid eating the do-over. I think you are screwed.... :mad:

No such thing as a break in procedure for a turbo:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/faqs.html#t12

Only thing you need to do is make sure you have adequate lubrication after you install the turbo and before you start the car. Usually you disable ignition or injectors and crank the engine over to prime the turbo with oil.

That's a debatable subject.. In the link above, perhaps they refers to their turbos?

http://www.boostplanet.com/new_page_2.htm

If you bought the vf52 thru the dealer, you might stand a chance, sort of like the dealer installed SPT parts. But not quite the same... unless SOA instructed service departments that substituting a dealer supplied VF52 for an oem VF40 was kosher, and would be covered by SOA. SOA covers dealer installed SPT parts, which is a big advantage over choosing parts from other vendors.

Sounds like you asked the dealer to install what was essentially an aftermarket part. If something goes wrong, they will ALWAYS claim the part must be bad, to avoid eating the do-over. I think you are screwed.... :mad:

+ 1, unless the dealership decides to bend over a little I think your screwed as well.

And rather then threatening them maybe you could compromise a bit.

Sometimes disgression is the better part of valor.;)

Am I missing something? You modded your car and you want the dealer to cover it under Subaru warranty? Or do you just want them to honor the warranty on the turbo?
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• Mega Users
Jeremy at FredBeansParts, who I bought the turbo from assured me that there is no reason that the dealer should not be able to warranty the part. I didn't buy this part to modify my car hence no fuel pump or injectors, I just thought it would be a fun and suitable and most of all reliable replacement for the stock VF-40. Jeremy is currently trying to help me out through SOA but that just takes time for those paper pushers to get out of their own way. I have no problem paying for the labor to have another installed. There is just absolutely no reason that I should have to pay for another turbo. The part that I bought was listed as 1 year/ unlimited miles warranty with no fine print. I'm not taking advantage of anyone and I'm not trying to lowball anybody. What the hell is so hard about all of this? Having something in writing is a pretty lame thing to need. I know what I was told and god forbid I could actually trust someone. None of this would be an issue if people were honest with themselves and everyone else but our world is full of conniving assholes that make life suck for everyone else.

"Having something in writing is a pretty lame thing to need."

Live and learn man, live and learn.

And yes, the world is full of people who won't honor their word and have selective memories. Having something in writing, signed by two parties, is an easy way to help avoid selective memories.

Right. So what law firm do you work for?

I don't work for a law firm but that is the world we live in. You can't just go around and smear people or companies online. People sue first and ask questions later...

http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2009/07/29/woman-sued-over-defamatory-tweet/

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I have no problem paying for the labor to have another installed. There is just absolutely no reason that I should have to pay for another turbo. The part that I bought was listed as 1 year/ unlimited miles warranty with no fine print. I'm not taking advantage of anyone and I'm not trying to lowball anybody.

None of this would be an issue if people were honest with themselves and everyone else but our world is full of conniving assholes that make life suck for everyone else.

This is a much better attitude/approach than you had before. Can understand your anger, but as others said, this is the world we live in. Always get things in writing. If they claim the part is defective, they should be able to get it replaced if it had a warranty when you bought it. You MIGHT have to have it sent to Fred Beans to get it replaced though -- you shouldn't, but you might.

I don't work for a law firm but that is the world we live in. You can't just go around and smear people or companies online. People sue first and ask questions later...

http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2009/07/29/woman-sued-over-defamatory-tweet/

Defamation lawsuits only have merit if there are lies being told. If I ran around the internet saying "Judge Smails molests collies", and he does not, that is defamation. While probably not solving any problems, LtDan can freely roam the internet saying that SOA would not honor the warranty on his turbo.

You cannot be punished for speaking the truth unless there is a gag order issued by a judge, meaning the case is in litigation or a settlement was reached and there was a gag clause in the agreement.

Anyways hope you get this sorted out Lt.Dan. I'm considering a 52 also.

The VF52 from SOA would have a 1 year warranty when installed on a car that comes with one OEM, but definitely not on a car that came with a different turbo.

Sounds like you asked the dealer to install what was essentially an aftermarket part.

+1 I totally agree, but since they did agree to do the work they should offer something. If I were in their shoes I wouldn't have don't the work in the first place.

Subscribed. Installed the VF52 and primed by hand with oil from an oral medicine syringe. I didn't do any break in at all and was going WOT within half an hour of install... I watched boost very, very closely to avoid overboost. I run a lot of boost and it's doing great.

If mine died I don't think I'd go after SOA, but the huge difference between you and me is that yours was installed by Subaru. I think it was a dumb move by Subaru to do this install but since they did I think in your case they should replace it (with a VF40).

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

• 4 weeks later...

Dan, can you give us a description of what actually happened when the turbo failed?

After 1000 miles or so, my VF52 has developed a loud whistle when hitting max boost @ WOT. This only happens when the car is cold, and lessens down to a minor whistle as things heat up. I've gone as far as retightening all connections, replacing the downpipe and uppipe gaskets (all signs pointed to an uppipe leak, but it had no effect), and pulling my hair out. Now i'm reading about several more of these turbos failing on Nasioc, and Infamous saying he has ran into a few others as well, and i'm thinking these turbos are a failure waiting to happen as well.

Thoughts?

• 2 months later...
  • Mega Users
Right, I definitely forgot about this thread. So, after "defective turbo documentation" was acquired I then faxed it to SOA and that did nothing. My dad was helping me out with all of this and he finally got fed up enough to take it upon himself to contact SOA. He finally got a hold of a customer service supervisor. He said he was an owner of multiple subarus (he got an '05 Outback wagon for my brother, but I am the owner of mine). So multiple vehicle owner, current/future customer, I like your company, blah blah blah. I asked him how it went and he said they were still refusing to cover it. So, I told that to the dealership, they ordered a new VF40 (for an outrageous price), and did the whole install at a "discounted" labor rate. I've put about 3000 miles (changing my oil ASAP) on the turbo and haven't had the first problem. I went to my parent's house a week or so after the new turbo was installed and laying on the kitchen counter was a letter from SOA. The letter, addressed to my father, basically said "sorry for your troubles, we want your future business, here's a check for $2300-the typical cost of a new turbo install. So, they had told my father they would cover it. My dad, wanting an even better deal (who can blame him) told me they wouldn't so I could cut a deal with the dealership. So all in all it finally worked out. Now all of my suspension bits are going (bushings, lots of pops, squeaks, and creaks). So that will be my christmas present. These POS cars sure are expensive to maintain. I still love it, I wouldn't want any other car right now, but it is an impractical expensive POS.

Wow, that is quite an outcome. So SOA gave you $2300 to cover the issue? How many miles are on your car? That sounds like a pretty happy ending. I'm sorry you had to downgrade back to the VF40. That must have been rather painful.

Sometimes I feel like my car is crappy in different ways, but then I drive other cars in different weather conditions and I remember why I love Subarus. What really gets to me is the damn rattles. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing for you in the future. :)

Archived