LegacyGT.com

BLOWN VF-52's

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users
Well, as far as I knew SOA wasn't willing to help out. My dad withheld certain information in order to make up the slightest bit of money back seeing as how that was the 4th turbo put in this car (OEM, VF40-18g, VF-52, Brand new VF-40). So, when dealing with stealerships and giant global corporations, some lying is in order.

so in all you got more money by lying????? glad it worked out but seams kinda funny but never mind im back woods montana:rolleyes:

...yet you have no problem with the dealership lying about the VF52 being covered under warranty?

Hrm... LTDan and his family didn't lie. They survived.

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

Well, as far as I knew SOA wasn't willing to help out. My dad withheld certain information in order to make up the slightest bit of money back seeing as how that was the 4th turbo put in this car (OEM, VF40-18g, VF-52, Brand new VF-40). So, when dealing with stealerships and giant global corporations, some lying is in order.

Two questions -

1- how many miles are on the car

2- WTF have you done to go through that many turbos? :confused:

Also, I just skimmed the last couple pages, but whats happening with the parts warranty part on the VF52?? The vendor that sold it should have been taking care of you on that.

• Mega Users
89,xxx on the car. The OEM turbo blew up, I put on the VF40-18g(used). I could start to hear the impeller catching on the housing and decided to replace it with a new turbo to avoid having another one blow up. I put the VF52 on, and it blew up 900 miles later(It didn't see boost for the first 200 miles and was not driven hard on after that). The brand new VF40 is still on the car and running strong. Did you really have to ask "WTF have you done to go through that many turbos?"? I mean seriously, I drove the GD car. WTF do you expect me to say that? No matter how much i beat on this car, it doesn't excuse the short life of the turbos. The parts warranty on the VF52 has already been explained. If you're really that interested.............READ

And they can sue you for defamation of character. Best bet, get the turbo warrantied from whoever you bought it from and go from there.

More internet misinformation... Ridgeracer, don't make statements about a law when you clearly know nothing about it; it is not helping anyone.

As for telling the story about the dealer and your turbo... You will NOT be sued for defamation and even if they tried, they would lose badly as long as you did not act stupid.

Defamation of character involved telling a LIE. Ex - If you are a gangster running with a gang and I am a local newspaper and I publish an article about you being a "thug"... It is not defamation even though it could be incredibly damaging to your lifestyle. It is not defamation because if you are a gangster thug, calling you a thug is accurate and fits the characterization.

If the dealer is swindling you and not honoring their promises, even if verbal, you are good to tell your story. In fact, I encourage it.

LALGT

• Mega Users

What in the world are you talking about? You hate to say it? Why did you say it then? What's a "low tune?" Never heard of that. No one in the world thinks it takes 1000 miles to break in a turbo. Who is this aimed at anyways? If that's the best drivel you can come up with, please don't post in this thread.

Sincerely,

A Smart Guy

I hate to say this put you have to put a very low tune on your car and they drive ~1000 miles to brake a turbo in. why do people throw stuff on there car and get a big tune and think that they can drive like a race car right out of the box.

What in the world are you talking about? You hate to say it? Why did you say it then? What's a "low tune?" Never heard of that. No one in the world thinks it takes 1000 miles to break in a turbo. Who is this aimed at anyways? If that's the best drivel you can come up with, please don't post in this thread.

Sincerely,

A Smart Guy

Lt.Dan,

I think he probably MEANT to say conservative tune instead of "low tune" but I could be wrong.

LALGT

Sorry to hear about your troubles Lt. Dan. The biggest travesty is that you had to throw a VF-40 back in the car. Just hearing that alone make me weep... All I can say from personal experience is that I've had zero problems with my VF-52 so far and I'm very happy with the turbo. About 5k on it so far with one track day to boot. I'd wager to bet that your problem had more to do with a faulty install than a faulty turbo. All is takes is one dumbass at the dealership who cuts a corner or two and you're sitting with a blown turbo within a few hundred miles, (or less..). IMHO, a properly installed VF-52 with proper fuel mods and a good tune will be plenty reliable for he long term.

As for comments I'm seeing on "break in tunes" and "break in" period for turbos. Ummm, thats totally absurd. There is nothing to break in on a turbo, its either going to spin up and work or its not. If the install is correct and the part is not defective its good to go right out of the box....

Well, I guess it was only a matter of time before this thread was started. And I feel that I qualify to start this thread since I've been dealing with this for close to 3 weeks now. I purchased a new VF-52, had it installed by a Subaru dealership, got my tune going, everything was gravy and BAM 900 miles later it blew up.................If anyone else has a similar story/information/advice, post it on up.

I actually visited this thread to check for info on blown VF52s. The OPs purpose for this thread was just that. I read through alot of arguing about who sucks worse and who lied, but other than the OP, does anyone else have any information on blown VF52s? :confused:

• Mega Users
No kidding. You're probably the only one who has read that part. Apparently no one is smart enough to figure it out. As with most threads on this forum go, someone starts a thread and then you have to spend the rest of the time defending yourself. So yeah. IF ANYONE ELSE HAS BLOWN A VF52 POST UP YOUR STORY!!! IF NOT, DON'T BE AN IDIOT.

• Mega Users
or a break-in tune. ohh and we who have worked in the auto industry do recommend 1k break in on turbos

thank god for america.... only country you can sue someone and make a profit off your mistake.

So what you're claiming is that a Subaru Dealership is supposed to flash a new conservative map to you ECU and you have to drive it that way for 1000 miles. So what, it's the MAF's fault, or the fuel injectors' fault that a turbo blew? People that work in the auto industry are usually ignorant and misinformed (that has been my experience thus far). I did the same exact thing with the VF52 that I'm doing with my VF40. And the outcomes are different!!! Sounds like it's the turbo, not the technician, the tune, the break-in period, or the driver. These cars are made of metal, not paper. They can handle it if they're made right. I could see if you're running a big f*ck off shiny turbo you shouldn't hit 30 psi right out of the shop. But aside from that, it's bs.

So you buy a VF-52 from someone other than Subaru, blow it up, bitch at them until your parents step in, and in the end Subaru cuts you a check for $2300. Then you call the car a POS for having gone through 4 turbos and now apparently all your bushing? Sounds like you kick the absolute shit out of that car.

• Mega Users

Right, because Fred Beans Parts isn't a Subaru dealership? Please explain.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=fred+beans+subaru&aq=f&aqi=g10&oq=&fp=b36c7832dbb01be6

The faulty manufacture of the turbo blew itself up. I also didn't "bitch." I tried to get the warranty that was sold to me with the part covered. The car is a POS if it can't keep a turbo running. My car has 90,000 miles on it. That seems like a very long time for OEM bushings to stay good. It sounds like you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. Do you know me? no. Are you talking out of your ass??? yes. Do you ride in my car on a daily basis? no. **** OFF I see this thread is going nowhere because of douchebags like you. I guess no one has anything constructive to add. This thread is done. MODS PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD so the egotistic assholes can stop acting like they know everything. Thank you. Sorry for the excessive cursing, but come on people. Let's be constructive.

• Mega Users

Let's make it simple for everyone because i can see the intelligence level is not too high.

Preface:

OEM VF-40 from factory catastrophically fails. Used VF-40 18g installed. Not comfortable with it (sounds of premature failure). VF-52 was purchased because of lower price than VF-40, bolt up turbo, and the entire country was out of VF-40s.

1. Buy IHI VF-52 from Fred Beans Parts (Subaru Dealer) w/ full 1 year 12,000 mile warranty

2. Have IHI VF-52 installed by Shelor Service (Shelor Subaru) within warranty specifications

Just so I haven't lost anyone. Subaru part purchased from Subaru Dealer installed at Subaru Dealer (complicated, I know)

3. 900 easy miles later, IHI VF-52 catastrophically fails. All of a sudden, nobody (Fred Beans, Shelor, or SOA) can get warranty coverage. Weird, I know

4. Only until a customer service supervisor is reached (doesn't matter by who) is something done

5. Fax 60,000 mile service, fax documentation stating VF-52 was defective, and fax invoice of VF-52 purchase.

6. Warranty Coverage!!!!!

Lets get this straight. A vf40 is the stock turbo right? Warranty is only covered by stock parts put on by the assembly line at a subaru car facility, right. So a vf52 is not stock on a legacy gt right, the warranty is thrown out. Everyone reads your thread and is trying to talk to you, but you are not listening. No Subaru dealer is going to warranty anything that is not stock on your vehicle. Any Subaru place will sell you anything, but it has to be stock to be in the region of you warranty coverage. We are here to help man. It sucked that this happened.

• Mega Users

Alright, so here is the part that everyone seems to be missing. I purchased this part from Jeremy at Fred Beans Parts.

I said, "I'm putting this on an '05 legacy. I know it's not OEM. I know there is a warranty with this part. If it fails will I be covered by SOA?"

I was told yes.

I then took the part to Shelor and said, "Please install this on my car. I can't wait a month for a VF40. This is an IHI VF52 (which is printed on the part). I purchased this from a Subaru dealership. Very mild modifications are required. Will this Subaru part be covered under warranty?"

I was told yes.

The only mistake I made was to not get either of these in writing

Considering no one even hesitated in assuring me the part, which was not OEM to the car would be covered under warranty, I thought it would be gravy. But, just my luck the part blows up and I find everyone with their thumbs up their asses saying "There's nothing we can do because the part is not OEM, blah blah blah."

So tell me what kind of world we live in where you are told everything will be fine, but when you come back to collect on somebody's word, all of a sudden it's a different story. Earth, right? I'm sorry to get so worked up over this. I'm just sick of being told things that I already know. The issue was resolved. My new stage 1 VF40 is bitchin, the lower control arm bushings were replaced, it's cold as shit, and the turbo has over 3000 miles on it. It's time to

kick the absolute shit out of that car.

Right, because Fred Beans Parts isn't a Subaru dealership? Please explain.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...6c7832dbb01be6

The faulty manufacture of the turbo blew itself up. I also didn't "bitch." I tried to get the warranty that was sold to me with the part covered. The car is a POS if it can't keep a turbo running. My car has 90,000 miles on it. That seems like a very long time for OEM bushings to stay good. It sounds like you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. Do you know me? no. Are you talking out of your ass??? yes. Do you ride in my car on a daily basis? no. **** OFF I see this thread is going nowhere because of douchebags like you. I guess no one has anything constructive to add. This thread is done. MODS PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD so the egotistic assholes can stop acting like they know everything. Thank you. Sorry for the excessive cursing, but come on people. Let's be constructive.

I do apologize for not knowing that fredbeans was also a dealership. Did you buy all the other required parts with the turbo that they specify in order to receive a warranty turbo?

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1496/Subaru-Legacy-GT-VF52/Detail

Am I talking out of my ass? No. I work on cars day in and day out and 90,000 miles isn't anything unless its been beat on or poorly maintained.

While I work for Toyota we still get tons of people just like you who bring in parts and ask us to install them be it OEM or aftermarket. Unless you buy the part from us you do not get a warranty. I know the Subaru right across the street is the same way. If the dealership told you they would warranty any of it you should have got it in writing.

I could go on but all you are going to do is disregard this and continue to insult people. But hey at least you got your way and it was warrantied in some way or another.

I will be getting VF52 and all needed mods in a few short weeks as my VF40 is on he way out @ 84k. Once the parts are ordered and arrive, its off to Chris at EFI. LTD.DAN, aside from any comment in this thread, would you order the VF52 and needed parts from FB's? There are obviously one of many choices to purchase through. Any other input is welcome if you've purchased this turbo prior.

-LGTLW

• Mega Users

Important Note's Regarding Warranty Info:

When you purchase a VF52 Turbo from Fred Beans Parts - it comes with a 12 month / unlimited mileage warranty. In order for your warranty to be valid & honored with Fred Beans Parts, you must also purchase & install the two oil feed lines & screen bolts on the same invoice. If you do not order & install these parts, we have no recourse with Subaru to honor the warranty.

Below is a diagram that shows the two oil feed lines:

This was added very recently. This was not posted on their website in the beginning of the VF52 craze. Only after Jeremy had to deal with multiple warranty claims(which were unsuccessful) on these turbos did this "afterthought" pop up. You will still be hard pressed to get it covered by SOA becuase it is not OEM. Yeah, at least I got my way by making car payments on a non-operational car for a few months while everyone held their dicks in their hands.

To LGTLW: By all means go ahead and get this turbo. When I got it, it was a new untested part on the market. That's what you get for trying the latest and greatest. Even if you replace the oil feed lines and banjo bolts SOA can still deny a warranty claim. They can require a new oil pan, a new oil cooler, basically every part of your oil feed system has to be replaced for them to have no grey area in their warranty evaluation.

I still can't believe no one else has blown their VF-52's (or are willing to post their own story about it because of all the friendly people here). I know Shamar (Infamous1) knows of lots of these that have blown. Not only in the aftermarket but also stock applications (WRX).

Gaydragon87 you still don't get it. I stated that I should have gotten it in writing. Thank you for your insight on Toyotas but that hardly applies. If someone brings in a car with 300,000 miles on it, has a new part installed, and that part fails shortly after, it has nothing to do with maintenance or how the car is driven. it's either the part or the installation. I will insult whoever seems to be asking for it. Oh, and don't be such a sissy. If you want to post up something, i may find it offensive. I will then defend myself with facts and a little sarcasm/insults. If you can't take it, go away.

Archived