LegacyGT.com

swaybar suggestions??

specialB

Hole 1 and hole 2 will be firm or soft depending... eg both endlinks on hole 1 will be full firm, both on hole 2 will be full soft, and then using one of each on either end and crossing the connection will give you the third 'medium' setting.

A 3 hole swaybar will give up to 5 settings.

The Perrin website has some good information - http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/show/318/Sway-Bar-Rear-25MM-

the Features tab explains the different settings.

Thanks for the great info!

Just curious, why do you Perrin owners regret not getting the 25mm rear sway?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everywhere you go there seems to be another opinion...

Got this email back from Perrin when I asked what sway bars for a neutral handling car

Thanks for your interest in PERRIN! For the best handling, I'd recommend going with the 22mm front and 25mm rear bar. That will give you the stiffest swaybar combination to give you the most neutral handling. We also have the PSRS for that car, which replaces a control arm bushing to give you even better handling. If you have any more questions, let me know, thanks!

Chris Cone

Tech Services

PERRIN Performance™

AIM: altaperrinsales5

1-503-693-1702

My understanding is that a 25mm rear bar will rub pretty bad on a 3" turbo back. confirm/deny?

My understanding is that a 25mm rear bar will rub pretty bad on a 3" turbo back. confirm/deny?

Just get a custom exhaust, fixes that problem!

I plan on getting a 25mm rear bar and keeping the front stock. If it's TOO much oversteer, I probably will upgrade the endlinks for the front and then take it from there.

Ive been talking at length with the guys from Rallitek (who are SUPER helpful, BTW) and Im pretty set on doing their kit f/r with end links. They have been explaining that its not only about bar size but construction, and that their kit is designed with neutral handling specifically in mind. Combine that with no exhaust rub, and that puts me on their kit.

• 2 weeks later...
Initial review: I drove all of maybe 2 miles from Beans back to work and it's a very noticable difference. Just a twitch of the wheel and it responds. The real results will come tonight when I go home. The back way with the twisty roads.;):lol:

Initial review: I drove all of maybe 2 miles from Beans back to work and it's a very noticable difference. Just a twitch of the wheel and it responds. The real results will come tonight when I go home. The back way with the twisty roads.;):lol:

Sweet deal dude!

• 5 months later...
Not just oversteer but handle more Neutral. We in North America get wimpy rear bars to give the general public safer understeer at the limit.

Correct, but Gary was asking specifically about using the same sized bar front/rear. I guess I should have been more specific. When I said bigger, I was saying "bigger than usual". That is, when using the same sized bar as the front or even bigger.

A staggered setup such as Rallitek's is intended to make the handling more neutral than stock, but retain a small amount of understeer. This is a good idea for a street car because it gives a margin of safety. The handling is more benign to allow for slick conditions, sudden maneuvers or emergency situations.

The last thing you want is to experience a spin-out at high speed. The impulse of most drivers when frightened is to hit the brakes. Sudden braking causes weight transfer away from the rear wheels. In a car that is set up to be neutral or oversteery, this could causes traction loss at the rear wheels.

For track racing or more controlled conditions and a totally focused driver, a more neutral setup may be preferred. You can get around a track faster that way.

The handling of our US cars from the factory is set up with hugely excessive understeer because, frankly, lots of drivers don't know what they are doing and the manufacturers want to play it safe. But that's no fun. ;)

The Rallitek setup is likely going to take away most of the roll and move the handling quite close to neutral, but with a bit of understeer. Of course, there are many factors other than the sway bars that will affect handling balance, so your mileage may vary.

You might want to try an adjustable setup such as the Whiteline sway bars. Front: 22mm nominal, 21/24 effective, depending on adjustment setting. Rear: 20 nominal, 19/22 effective. (IIRC). This gives you a chance to experiment or adjust for the seasons.

+2 on getting adjustable sways. I have progress bars that are adjustable at both ends as well. With the stock front bar used the softer rear setting. When I got the front bar, went to soft front setting , stiffer rear. Nice to have options to suit your style.

Archived