LegacyGT.com

Speaker Upgrade - Infinity

spect2k

I've decided, like so many others, that I would like better performance from the audio system.

On my old car, I swapped out the headunit, speakers, installed an amp and subwoofer. I was thrilled with the sound quality.

This time, I am on a budget but still looking for an upgrade. I've read that swapping out the speakers with a stock system can have from little to a great effect on the system. Since I have a spec B with a Nav and all that, I am leaving the headunit alone and skipping the subwoofer. I'm hoping that by going for great quality speakers, I'll get what I am looking for.

Front: Infinity Reference 6020cs Component Speakers

Rear: Infinity Reference 6022si Coax Speakers

Again, I know that an amp and the whole 9 would be ideal, but on a real budget, I'm hopeful that I'll get an improvement worth the dollars. I haven't purchased anything yet and am looking for some overall feedback, tips and/or recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the exact setup I have in my 08 GT! They sound better than the stock system at any volume level and will play much louder w/o distortion if you want to push them. Due to the deck's EQ, they loose most of their bass response when you get into the upper teens and 20's; but I've found on most music, setting bass to +1 will give you a somewhat decent compromise between the full (but not accurate) bass response of the stockers and the crispness of the Infinity's. Originally I set the tweeters to -3db on the components but after getting used to the new sound I set it back to 0 and continue to think it sounds pretty good. I've had them in for about a month now and am pretty happy with the selection - its much better than stock and a pretty good stop-gap between itself and an amplified setup. I will say this though, given the suboptimal placement of the tweeters I'm not entirely certain you are gaining anything by going seperates up front. If I was going to do it again I would more seriously consider a set of the kappa coaxials instead.

Install was a snap - the Infinity provided woofer mounting brackets actually worked well with the stock mounting locations and the 6020cs tweeters dropped right into the stock tweeter mounts. I would suggest getting some dynamat or equivalent to put between the door and brackets as they don't snug up 100% in a couple spots without something in between them.

If you have anything specific you want to ask that wouldn't fit in this thread - feel free to PM me!

dfalk and imrac, glad to hear you are pleased with them. Are you running the infinitys on a stock headunit and with or without an amp?

Digi - I debated asking this question and am quite glad that I did. So it sounds like it was worth the $$$. Glad to hear the exact review that I needed!

I am running after market head unit and after market amp. Also just to clarify, I am running Inifinity Kappa 60.9cs components up from and stock in the rear. Fronts are running off the amp, the rear are running off the HU. I fade it forward about 40% so I don't blow my rears, but they are still nice for the rear fill. I am also running a monoblock amp with a infinity kappa perfect 10" sub. My total setup including wiring, tools, amp rack materials, materials for DIY trunk encloser came out to be about $900, but it sounds great.

always loved infinity speakers. if i only have 2 kappa cox, should i put them in front or rear? if put them in front, should i keep oem tweeter or disable them? im using oem head unit.

I think you should put the better speakers in the front seat, where you will be sitting. The rear speakers are just to "fill-in" the sound.

So I decided to go with the speakers on the stock headunit and no amp as we spoke about and hopefully it will satisfy. I'll report back after they are up and running (more or less a week). Although I realize that it will be a good month or so before that are nicely broken in...

I used the exact same setup in my 98. I love it. I've always been a fan of Infinity. I run mine off a Reference series amp as well, so roughly about ~120 watts RMS to each speaker. I also run some Reference 12" subs as well. I didn't much like the Kappas personally, they almost seem too muddy. All in all I found the Reference series (at least components) was a good price for the sound they put out. So far I haven't found anything better.

So I decided to go with the speakers on the stock headunit and no amp as we spoke about and hopefully it will satisfy. I'll report back after they are up and running (more or less a week). Although I realize that it will be a good month or so before that are nicely broken in...

Please report back soon. I have the stockers with the Subaru amp/woofer combo under the passenger's seat. If making an upgrade I would only be interested in replacing the speakers in the doors.

So everything is installed now and up and running. As previously stated, I have the Infinity Reference 6020cs components up front and Infinity Reference 6022si in the rear.

The speakers have only been in the car for about 6 hours now, so they are hardly broken in just yet.

Initial impression:

I have a pretty good musical ear, and I do hear a difference with these speakers versus stock, yet the improvement is minor. At this point, I've spent a couple of hundred on these speakers and I don't feel as though they were worth the money. I feel as though I am only half way there - I definitely need an amplifier. It seems like a waste at this point to have invested all that money, time and effort and only have it done halfway. So, I am looking now at amps and have my eye on a nice alpine amp from crutchfield. We'll see, I don't have the $$ laying around right now and my wife would probably divorce me anyway.

(I've found a noticeable absence of a "Showoff your audio system" thread - have I missed it?)

So everything is installed now and up and running. As previously stated, I have the Infinity Reference 6020cs components up front and Infinity Reference 6022si in the rear.

The speakers have only been in the car for about 6 hours now, so they are hardly broken in just yet.

Initial impression:

I have a pretty good musical ear, and I do hear a difference with these speakers versus stock, yet the improvement is minor. At this point, I've spent a couple of hundred on these speakers and I don't feel as though they were worth the money. I feel as though I am only half way there - I definitely need an amplifier. It seems like a waste at this point to have invested all that money, time and effort and only have it done halfway. So, I am looking now at amps and have my eye on a nice alpine amp from crutchfield. We'll see, I don't have the $$ laying around right now and my wife would probably divorce me anyway.

(I've found a noticeable absence of a "Showoff your audio system" thread - have I missed it?)

That's a bummer to hear that. I wonder with my setup using the stock add-on amp/woofer under the passenger's seat, if that would be enough to drive those upgraded speakers?

Which speakers did you buy? The coax or the components? If you bought the component's you're going to need an amp. The components run at a 2 ohm load and the coax are at a 4ohm load if I remember correctly. Please don't even try running the components without an amp, those speaker's require a lot of power!

There is also no break-in period with speaker's, that's a bunch of B.S. A speaker's sound does not get better or worse the more you use it. (At least not to the human ear) If that was the case speakers would have to be replaced every 10,000 miles. Level out the sound correctly and they will last you forever.

OP,

Don't run aftermarket speakers that are rated substantially higher than what the stock HU can push out. Thats a huge waste of money. You won't hear a difference in sound quality without an amp and in some cases they won't sound as good because there isn't enough power to the speakers. For any aftermarket speakers, just go with the entry level set (Infiniti References in your case).

edit...oh well, sorry my post is too late

Archived