LegacyGT.com

Speaker Upgrade - Infinity

spect2k

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, so I've got the gains fairly set (at least as best as I can).

Here's my next and hopefully last question. I've done some searching but haven't found great results.

With the volume on the moderate to loud side, when switching between songs or even during quiet parts of songs, I can hear some white noise or a 'hiss'. I figure it can be several things:

1) The need of a cleansweep or similar device

2) The amp

3) The line out converter

4) Some kind of interference

I ran the speaker and power wire on opposite sides and there is a nice short ground for the amp. What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...
I turned down the amp quite a bit and it seems to be less noticeable, but it is still there. Perhaps it is the sacrifice of getting a nice amp at a low price, maybe somewhat less filtering capability. Maybe the cleansweep or other similar device would help, but I dont want to pay the $200. I found that just playing with the settings enough can make it doable.

http://www.reqsound.com/

Not quite Cleansweet quality, but for the price well worth it. You can find these online for dirt cheap.

I currently run the stock deck with stock speakers, a Re-Q hooked to an amp with a 10" sub in the trunk. I recently hooked up a high quality input to the line-in, RCA to 1/8" jack, just a nice CLEAN input. The difference was night and day between the MP3 CDs, even normal CD and especially satellite radio. The speakers sounded 2x better and got significantly louder without distortion. I'm absolutely thrilled with it and I'm looking into installing something more permanent to squeeze a little more life out of my cheap stock setup.

Just a heads up! Something worth trying.

edit: that hiss is almost certainly from the line out converter

I'll have to look into it, I sure looks quite a bit more affordable and there are pretty good reviews for it.

In the meantime, I am working to adjust the amp to be ideal. I feel like I've got the gains at a good place, but the one switch that I still dont know what to do with is the "filter" switch. There are three settings, "High Pass", "Low Pass", and "Off". From alpine's website:

Alpine MRP-F300

a) Set to the “LP” position when the

amplifier is used to drive a

subwoofer. The frequencies above

the crossover point will be attenuated

at 12 dB/octave.

b) Set to the “HP” position when the

amplifier is used to drive a tweeter/

midrange system. The frequencies

below the crossover point will be attenuated

at 12 dB/octave.

NOTE:

In this case, the “Bass EQ” function

is invalid.

c) Set to the “OFF” position when the

amplifier will be used for driving fullrange

speakers. The full frequency

bandwidth will be output to the

speakers with no high

Right now, I have it on HP. What do you recommend with my infinity reference 6020cs components up front and infinity reference 6022si coax in the rear?

Thanks!

Archived