LegacyGT.com

Exhaust diameters...

warnoldscu

I just wanted to get this straight and have someone fill in my blanks:

Lachute Performance is 3" to the Y, then breaks into 2 1/4"

AVO's is the same

Borla is.... 2 1/2" to the Y, then 2 1/4"???

Stromung is... no idea...

The reason I'm wondering is because I'm seriously considering a custom catback section so I had a shop look at it yesterday. They said the best thing they thought would be to have 3" back to the Y and then do 2 1/2" to the mufflers, but that they couldn't keep 3" all the way through because there's that funny quick turn right before the mufflers on each side. So.... I'm wondering what the name-brand exhausts have done as far as diameters. If anyone's got any suggestions or tips to custom exhausts that would be nice too, it just seemed like an equal but way cheaper alternative.

Thanks,

Weston

Nice, I figured full 3" wasn't going to happen and I'm not really worried about it, but I did like the thought of 2.5" at the Y... I definitely want to see pics of yours though, rodan. What exactly are you getting: what material on the pipes - SS, aluminized, etc.? how will the pipes be bent? what mufflers and tips? I'm just curious, good luck with that.

Weston

i plan to do the same

3 to 2x2.25

so, you guys that are planing on custom cat backs afre you gogin to use a wrx downpipes?

for an extra $100 or so (hks DP) you could have a full turbo back

that is assuming that a hks dp fits ..

i am going to order one of the cheepie (<100 shippped) DPs off ebay and try it

you could have angled mufflers to compenstate in the kinks for the mufflers.. OR... ingore the mufflers.. just have 3" running straight out from the Y. Put all the "mufflers" and resonators at the midpipe.

Keefe

Keefe

ahhh... so the stromung is the only one that is 3" then splits to 2.5" at the Y. This is exactly what the exhaust guy told me I should do with the custom job. I'm currently in for the Rally Performance DP groupbuy, so I think my exhaust is going to wait on that... Damn, now I'm thinking it might be worth it to get the Stromung, I just don't want those dual tips because they don't fit under the cutout...

What Xenonk mentioned above with getting rid of the mufflers and just running a resonator was also offered up by the exhaust guy, but I just thought that it might get too loud - he has an SRT4 with a similar setup that I listened to and I think it would be too much at cruising speeds. I mean, I like a nice sound, just not something that would drone on at cruising speeds. hmmm...

Weston

So according to this thread.. Borla = Stock in size? From the cat back? Thats lame. Might have better mufflers which might flow better, but pipe size is the same..

I dont think im going that route anymore.

I welded up some 2 1/4" Summitracing.com turbo mufflers ($15 a piece) in place of the stockers with some crush bent 2 1/4" 90* elbows ($5 a piece) trimmed down to replace the stock elbow that connects the mufflers to the y-pipe. It has a nice deep growl and sounds awesome!! I'll get some sound clips in the next day or so....I was going to re-use the stock tips but the tip piping was much smaller than the new muffler outlet so getting it to fit would not have been fun. I just bought some new tips online that should look pretty good that are 2 1/4" inlet opening up to a slash cut 3.5" outlet for about $22 a piece. In total, my muffler replacement will have cost me less than $100 versus $700+.

OK this sounds lame but - has anyone cut open the stock muffler and removed some packing/baffles to increase flow/sound and then weld them shut again? Aftermarket mufflers seem to be very expensive so I thought this might work for us poor folk :-)

• 6 months later...
Can anyone else verify with confidence that the pipe at the back of the muffler which bolts to the Y is 2". I am trying to find out if the GT uses the same muffler as the 2.5i. Subaru of America tells me yes vaguely and one tuner shop tells me the GT is 2.25" and the 2.5i is 2". Upon checking with a Subaru dealer, the GT and the 2.5i mufflers have different part #'s which does not necissarily mean thy are of different sizes. Why does this interest me you may ask? I would like to put better flowing mufflers on my 2.5i to help out my headers and hi-flow cat. I had a custom cat-back done but had to remove it because it was too loud. Having a Lachute muffler with the stock resonator should make the sound just right. Unfortunately LaChute does not have the courtesy to respond to my inquiry.

ok, someone explain this to me: let's say you have a 2.5" center pipe to the Y, and the stock Y is 2 x 2" -- doesn't that mean the effective flow capacity after the Y is actually 4", and therefore not very restrictive??

initially I was thinking, damn, that Y is restrictive. now it seems to me that maybe I shouldn't worry about it. even increasing the mid pipe to a 3", the car can still flow more air total after the Y.

but maybe my logic stinks....

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Archived