LegacyGT.com

Why the look for the Japanese is different?

subaduba

I visited the city of Hiroshima. I know we're joking around here, but the general populace there doesn't seem to have anything against Americans.

Not sure how true this is, but I also remember reading that the Legacy has a better, more refined interior in Japan too, and it supposebly competes head to head with the likes BMW 3 series over there.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not just the $1 in direct savings.

It's the cost of carrying the parts - ie money (in parts inventory in manufacturing, spare/replacement parts, etc) costs money sitting there. Otherwise, the money won't be depreciated...and additionally, can be invested to make money.

Actually, that's an argument for keeping the lines the same. Maintaining separate sourcing and inventory is more expensive than all but the most expensive components. For things like interior materials and details, stereo units, etc., maintaining separate sourcing and component inventories is more cost-effective. Only for the expensive items, like engines, turbos, tranmissions, etc. is it worth optimizing the component cost at the expense of additional sourcing and supply.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

right, and our own companies ie ford and gm serve us up the best while dumping crap on europe? Not

we are getting screwed because in order to make us americans feel/belive like we are the richest most influential people in the world, we are being served up the cheapest product. in other words, this makes us feel like we have superior buying power, where in fact we pay more in the long run.

thats my take

Ok let me lay it on all ya'll real simple like. Why is there a huge difference between JDM and USDM? Because we bombed 2 of their major cities 60 yrs ago. Think about it, if Japan dropped a large f'n weapon of mass destruction on San Francisco 60 years ago, i'm sure we would be giving them watered down ugly versions of Chevy's, Fords, and Chrysler. So there it is, nothing to do with nobody paying 40k for a subie, last i checked you can get to 40k with an STI. Also last time i checked alot of the subie community are either at the 40k mark or well beyond it when you add in Mods to the price of our cars.

/thread.

Ok let me lay it on all ya'll real simple like. Why is there a huge difference between JDM and USDM? Because we bombed 2 of their major cities 60 yrs ago. Think about it, if Japan dropped a large f'n weapon of mass destruction on San Francisco 60 years ago, i'm sure we would be giving them watered down ugly versions of Chevy's, Fords, and Chrysler. So there it is, nothing to do with nobody paying 40k for a subie, last i checked you can get to 40k with an STI. Also last time i checked alot of the subie community are either at the 40k mark or well beyond it when you add in Mods to the price of our cars.

/thread.

If this logic holds true, look at Germany. EVERYONE, besides Italy and Japan, during WWII bombed the crap out of them, and some of the best cars in the world come out of Germany. I understand it was the Germans who started it all up and maybe by your logic they're trying to make up for it by making awesome cars.

Or maybe neither country's car companies really put 5 seconds of thought into what happened 60 years ago when they were deciding what cars they were gonna send where.

Visiting Hiroshima when I was 15 was a very sobering experience.

I assume you visited the atomic bomb museum as well, right?

I strongly thing that EVERY single politician in this world, before they get in office, they should have a mandatory field trip to that museum.

Oh, and the whole concept of them getting somehow back at us is beyond ridiculous. I can't believe some of you actually entertain that idea. It's all about economics. Americans want Ferraris at the price of a Pinto. You'd be surprised how much a Subaru costs overseas in Europe, for example. It's basically at the very least a 1-to-1 ratio USD to Euro amount.

Oh, and the whole concept of them getting somehow back at us is beyond ridiculous. I can't believe some of you actually entertain that idea. It's all about economics. Americans want Ferraris at the price of a Pinto. You'd be surprised how much a Subaru costs overseas in Europe, for example. It's basically at the very least a 1-to-1 ratio USD to Euro amount.

Good post and and I hope it ends the supid conspiracy theory.

I all comes down to US bad taste and weird valuation in cars.

In 2007 my outback 3.0R nav/moonroof/leather/AT/etc cost approx. $50K in Sweden, with an equal Audi A4 2.0T cost at most 10-12% more.

I'd like to address a few things in here so bear with me. :lol:

-Cost: These parts that would make the Legacy a "$40k" Subaru is some people talking out of their ass. :) Sorry. These parts were blueprinted, designed, and created in Japan. There's your R&D. All the US had to do was take these parts into inventory. That's it. No cost since they were already developed. Plus, it would actually be cheaper since they had to actually design NEW mirrors just for the US.

-Certifying for E&M???- Wow, this one was a looooong shot. I wonder if anyone here has driven a 2009? Or '08, or '07, or '06, or '05? Seriously people. The car already had an electrical motor that was approved in these models for the turn signal mirrors. You don't need to "create" a new one. Again, debunked.

-Fenders: This one sadly was a move to save money and makes sense. The front fenders are the same on the Outback and Legacy now. Look closely, you'll see. The rears are the same (even though the parts are different) probably just to follow the fact that the fronts are already bulging out so why not make the back just as ugly at the same time.

OB1.JPG.2ad4b431be375883915e80733124c875.JPG

R3.JPG.290da5ea106a13ab4466f6f1ed95e870.JPG

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

The F if I know... :lol:

I'm just done with people popping on here and saying, "Yeah, it would like totally cost $40k and stuff cause those JDM things are sooo tight yo! It's like MAD money and stuff to replicate that shit, you know?" :rolleyes:

F'n retards sometimes... sorry guys. :) I just wish some of us would think with a logical point of reference rather than spout, "OHHH NO!!! It's TOO MUCH! That's not fair to SOA to spend that! That would mean $17k extra bucks to put turn signal mirrors, JDM fenders, and other things."

STFU. End of story. Look before you speak is all I ask. :dm:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Pearl Harbor is not equal to 2 atomic bombs being dropped on major cities. So if we are sore about pearl harbor, they must be pretty damn pissed off at us. So what do you do if your pissed off at somebody, make something awesome, then give them the crappier version.

Ummmm....the Germans bomber Pearl Harbor???? People seem to forget their history....

Rehab is for quitters.

Why SOA needs to mangle a perfectly good car under the guise of "Americanizing" it makes zero sense to me.

I want HIDS, memory seats, push button start, a better audio system, a turbo automatic with more HP and TQ.

Why SOA thinks its a priority to nix these features is full retard.

Selling a 2010 with every feature the JDM model has would very nearly negate any latent desires for a BMW 3 or Audi A4

SOA dont have much faith in themselves when competing against euro cars, so they chose to step down a level to compet in the market against honda and toyota. their theory is to sell more rather than sell high. they understand that's not an easy task with added cost of turbo and awd system, so they have to cut cost somewhere like suspension; body; interior; tires. and because you're competing with toyota, why not look like toyota, that's how our lgt got its pointing nose.

Is this JDM model comparable to the crap 2.5GT Premium we are getting?? http://www.subaru.jp/legacy/b4/index.html Under grade check the price on the 2.5GT S package.

If it is then there is about a 7K difference in price. I guess according to SOA marketing, the general public in the US doesn't want to pay that high an entry fee for a Subaru sedan. If I was spending 34K on a car (and didn't know anything about Subies or buying a car based on actual value vs. a prestigious name..i.e. BMW) I might start looking elsewhere first. As for the styling ques that were changed.... :confused:

BTW....doesn't anyone remember the survey some of use received from SOA 2-3 years ago? They asked how much you are willing to pay for XXX car numerous times. They are just giving up what the majority voted on paying.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I'd like to address a few things in here so bear with me. :lol:

-Cost: These parts that would make the Legacy a "$40k" Subaru is some people talking out of their ass. :) Sorry. These parts were blueprinted, designed, and created in Japan. There's your R&D. All the US had to do was take these parts into inventory. That's it. No cost since they were already developed. Plus, it would actually be cheaper since they had to actually design NEW mirrors just for the US.

-Certifying for E&M???- Wow, this one was a looooong shot. I wonder if anyone here has driven a 2009? Or '08, or '07, or '06, or '05? Seriously people. The car already had an electrical motor that was approved in these models for the turn signal mirrors. You don't need to "create" a new one. Again, debunked.

-Fenders: This one sadly was a move to save money and makes sense. The front fenders are the same on the Outback and Legacy now. Look closely, you'll see. The rears are the same (even though the parts are different) probably just to follow the fact that the fronts are already bulging out so why not make the back just as ugly at the same time.

What about the cost consideration of manufacturing a JDM side view mirror vs a USDM non folding mirror? Or any other part that's different for that matter? I would be the first to admit that I can't answer this but surely there has to be a significant enough difference.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I didn't think there was much reason to change the 08/09 tail lights, but they did.

The USDM and JDM sedan tails have all the same bulbs, and the reflectors moved to the bumper for 08/09. They even appear to be the same outside dimensions.

But the division between the red and white sections of the lamp meet the trunk panel seam on the JDM tails, and miss the same line on the USDM model. the steel of the trunk lid didn't change. The tail lights did.

Someone had to actually MAKE that idiotic change, and create a new tooling for it, instead of just using the JDM part world-wide, with the same exact function.

^ don't forget how the bumper reflectors are different too. they had to design/manufacture a whole different bumper for USDM.
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Archived