LegacyGT.com

Myths of Idling

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no consistent evidence of long-term harm (i.e. within 150-200k miles on the engine) from extended idling, but it is considered a form of severe service on the car.

What really amazes me is just HOW MUCH fuel can accumulate in your oil after 2-5 minutes of idling. It's mind-boggling and scary that your 5w30 is thinned out to a 5w20 after about 5 minutes of idling, and it takes a nice long drive to evaporate enough fuel to get it back up to 5w30.

Maybe we should be asking all those turbo failures if they liked to idle all the time :)

Joe

I warm my car up for 2 minutes or until the temp needles moves if the cars been sitting for more than 4 hours or so.

If its warmed up, maybe 10 to 20 seconds before putting it into gear.

I also run a fuel system cleaner every bunch of tanks to eliminate some of that carbon I build up by letting it idle.

This is based on a long running study I have been performing on sarcasm.;)

gotcha. :lol:

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I warm my car up for 2 minutes or until the temp needles moves if the cars been sitting for more than 4 hours or so.

If its warmed up, maybe 10 to 20 seconds before putting it into gear.

I also run a fuel system cleaner every bunch of tanks to eliminate some of that carbon I build up by letting it idle.

Just go to a Chevron or Texaco. They use techraline in their fuel. Good stuff!!

The stuff you get at gas stations is weaksauce. If you really want a good fuel system cleaner, go with something along the lines of BG44K. Running that more often than once every 6 months or so is a total waste of money, unless of course you are running who knows what cruddy/crappy gas off the bottom of the holding tanks ;) Also note that most fuel system cleaners out there are noted to be a bit on the harsh side, if you really want to get into the nitty gritty of things.

But shouldn't you only be running 50 weight while idling to warm up?

Once warmed up, you should switch to 5W30.

No, you should really pre-heat your oil in your microwave and then dump it in prior to starting the car.

ya know when gas got to $4 a gallon people started hypermiling.. cutting their cars off at redlights etc.

whats interesting is since I've gotten my new brakes I've seen more of a fuel econ boost from being able to stop better than I did from (almost) hypermiling.. I never cut the car off, but I did let it coast down hills in neutral.. which I later found out was worse than leaving it in gear.. heh.

I dont do any kind of warmup on my car. even when its freezing outside.. I start it up and go.. the heater is blowing hot air by the timeI reach the neighborhood exit.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Maybe we should stop breathing too. :spin: Cuz we do exhale CO2 and with over 5 billion people in the world thats alota CO2.:eek:

no no, you're doing it all wrong...you have to plug the cow's arses! They're the REAL culprits! :lol:

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I dont do any kind of warmup on my car. even when its freezing outside.. I start it up and go.. the heater is blowing hot air by the timeI reach the neighborhood exit.

+1

If it's really cold outside ( -50 degrees F) I;ll giver her a couple minutes.

Generally I start the car in the morning, hook up my MP3 player, get some tunes going, get situated and go. It sits for about 1 minute before I take off for work every morning. I've been trying to give it a little more time in the morning, but when it comes down to it, it's either I get to sleep an extra 5 minutes or she gets an extra 5 minutes to wake up. Long story short, I'm sleeping that extra 5 minutes. When leaving work for my lunch or at the end of the day I go outside and start her up, but that's about it. In the mornings she's got about 1 mile to wake up before I reach Route 1 and have to give her some real throttle.

^ everytime time you do this, an angel loses their wings. :lol:

In Texas, it's so hot that the car reaches operating temperature before oil has fully circulated through the engine at start up. This results in a 87.3% reduction in engine wear, and no fuel dilution. So I have posted my slightly wider bore pistons that I use for startup only in the Member Classifieds. Sadly, water also boils immediately too.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

In Texas, it's so hot that the car reaches operating temperature before oil has fully circulated through the engine at start up. This results in a 87.3% reduction in engine wear, and no fuel dilution. So I have posted my slightly wider bore pistons that I use for startup only in the Member Classifieds. Sadly, water also boils immediately too.

Sounds like you would want an air-cooled diesel in Texas! :lol:

453747.png

Archived