LegacyGT.com

Sway bar/End Link/rear suspension clunking question

TPLGT

Over the last 2 months I have had clunking issues with my passenger rear strut/spring/ sway bar (Cobb with stock ELs) area. I hear a 'clunking' noise when I go over a speed bump or uneven ground at an angle (not straight) and at slow speed. Under load it's fine.

I took it in to the dealer and the tech found that the rear Swift spring (on Rev As.) was bottoming out at the top. Thinking that this was the noise I was hearing, we swapped the rear Swifts with the JDM Spec Bs that came with the Rev As. It worked for a few days 'cause the Spec B spring has a less aggressive drop...no clunking....it did come back a few days later...with a vengence.

I took it back in again and after a few trials with and without the sway bar, it was determined to be the ELs or the sway itself causing the noise. New ELs were installed (stockers) and it quieted down but ithe clunking is still there. The Tech noticed that the Sway had some marks on it that looked like it could be hitting the control arm. A suggestion was to consider aftermarket ELs that are adjustable or longer than stockers. This may give the sway enough clearence.

Anyone have any input on this? I swear I thought the rear struts was blown...this would have sucked. I had prepared myself to look at buying some coilovers (still a possibility) and be done with it...

Any help/thoughts on a fix would be appreciated.

Rehab is for quitters.

Join the club, or at least my club anyway. The most common response I got was that my endlink was loose, which was not the case. I have read also that if your endlinks are not as close to "straight up and down" as possible, that they will clunk. My fronts seem to be bumping against my outer tie rod under the same conditions you describe.

Endlinks are borked. I found this to be the case with my perrins I had on the cusco rear bar. I don't think the stockers will last long with Bilsteins/cobb etc springs. I am going to buy adjustables or the AVO soild rears and see what shapes up. Either way I don't believe the oem endlinks will last.

lizard.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

I have the same clunking noise, only at slow speeds and high articulation. I have to assume it is the same case as stated above but i cannot find any evidence of the rubbing nor do i have aftermarket parts.

Has anyone seen this issue with OEM equipment?

Thank you for the help

ha! i've had this clunk for i think 2 years now. Cobb rear sway bar and stock EL's (never installed the front...but will soon). I am researching new EL's now as I have decided to buy out my lease and keep the car :) will post an update once i giderdone

As far as buying the KB or AVO, etc "solid" style endlinks, depending on where you live-NE, SoCal,etc. I think you'll run into the same problem as I did with the solid Perrins. The ball&socket design of the EL doesn't hold up to harsh winters/road salts and will crap out. Mine lasted a couple of years and that was it. The stock ELs, while being rather "flimsy", have that rubber boot covering the ball and socket and probably hold up better to various road/weather conditions.

.02 lizard.

Stock struts/springs, cobb sways for about 7-8 months, stock endlinks.

No clunking noise once everything was tightened up nice. Just getting dry-bushing noise for the past month and about to re-grease.

If the aftermarket endlinks don't hold up to salt&such, there are some really good products you could apply to them during the winter months at least.

I recently heard about a easy to spray mixture that actually holds on in the winter...I'm forgetting it now, but mike miller of roundel swears by it (mike's good about stuff like this, not good at other stuff). Like CRC powerlube mixed with something else.

Anyway, might be a way to protect solid endlinks from degradation with the right grease or water dispellant.

Joe

Are you on the stock rubber sway bar bushings still?

I just swapped my stockers back on last week after yanking the perrins. I was able to shake the rear bar and it sounded like a piggy-bank with 2 nickels and a marble in it. Maybe I'll go with solids again, but just plan on replacing em again in 2 yrs.:confused: Or maybe spray some of that crap that JoefromPA mentioned.

**EDIT** b/c I am at work right now and retarded from too many "STAT" orders. No I'm on AVO poly RSB bushings and they iz tyt!!

Just had my sway bar start clunking around out of no where. No upgrades what so ever with suspension. Looking to pick up new EL's but not sure who to go with rallitek, perrin or kartboy. Seems like the solid EL's might work out better. Does any one know if the AVO Subaru Legacy GT Solid Stabilizer End Links fit the stock sway bar?

Just had my sway bar start clunking around out of no where. No upgrades what so ever with suspension. Looking to pick up new EL's but not sure who to go with rallitek, perrin or kartboy. Seems like the solid EL's might work out better. Does any one know if the AVO Subaru Legacy GT Solid Stabilizer End Links fit the stock sway bar?

Yes, they fit.:)

Archived