LegacyGT.com

Did they miss the mark on the 2010 Limited

Everyone has the same opportunity to love, hate, or "meh" the new model... but it's pretty amusing to see in excess of 100 posts from some individuals with essentially the same content, and from a position of ignorance (Internet test drive only).

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everyone has the same opportunity to love, hate, or "meh" the new model... but it's pretty amusing to see in excess of 100 posts from some individuals with essentially the same content, and from a position of ignorance (Internet test drive only).

The test drive has nothing to do with it. I've seen it in person, sat in it, and that was enough.

I could probably deal with everything but the wheel arches and the seats. Those absolutely kill the looks of the car. (where's that throw-up smiley?)

The test drive has nothing to do with it. I've seen it in person, sat in it, and that was enough.

I could probably deal with everything but the wheel arches and the seats. Those absolutely kill the looks of the car. (where's that throw-up smiley?)

+1. I don't care how much bigger the car is, or how well the car drives. I'm not going to replace my 2008 with it. I think it's a hideous car with a crap interior, a supreme lack of features, and to top it off, it costs more than the current GT.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I will jump in with my two cents. The OP seems to be in a different market then I was, the 05-09 Legacy could hold its head high when compared to the likes of BMW and Audi in styling and performance but with the new generation the styling definately misses the mark. In my opinion being happy that it can now compete with the Camry is a step backwards although Subaru may realize increased sales. If I was shopping for a new car this year (or until they change the styling) I would definately not be in the market for a new Legacy.

Listen, if I see a car that looks like crap, I sit in it and it feels like crap, and I looked at the specifications/options and they dissapointed me, what good except wasting a dealer's time driving it would do?

If you're a fanboi go ahead, but I at this rate, you'll be looking at buying an unloved MY10 sometime around 2014. Well, I'll be driving some other brand car at that point, unless perhaps FHI/SOA offer something that's actually appealing by then.

I know this was a few pages back but when i first test drove the 09 legacy i was actually there to look at the Impreza, the impreza was a disappointment to me because it really didnt feel like a very solid car, all performance and no comfort, then the guy I was test driving the car with showed me the legacy, said same engine as the regular impreza, and alot more to offer. I wasnt so sure thought it was kinda dinky looking but i gave it a shot and really liked it, and i had looked at it on the internet and it didnt really interest me at all, so my point is you do have to actually give it a shot in person. I drove the 2010 about 2 weeks back and Im going to compare the 2 side by side tomorrow and try to make a decision before I go away to a summer camp for a month (I turn 16 during this period and Im trying to make a decision before I go away) Judging by the internet I think that subaru took a step back in the design but comparing the 2 side by side might change that perspective.

My 70 year old dad went to a Legacy introduction party and left me a message saying he didn't think the 2010 looked too bad. He already knew my negative opinion of it so for him to like it means Subaru probably will accomplish what they wanted out of Americanizing(more chrome) of it. Before he wouldn't consider one but now that it is bigger and looks like a boring sedan he likes it.

Plus, the Impreza finally went hatchback. People screamed murder about that one...worse than any Legacy naysayers by far... but if you ask me it was a wise move. It's a smarter design, and in keeping with modern WRC trends. (I also think they'll start again in WRC - it's just a temporary fiscal hiatus.) More rigid, more practical, more powerful...

What "roots" folks are clinging to, I really don't know. Small size? Sure, I can see that.... but as a GC6 driver for nearly nine years, I know few right-minded people who, other than aesthetics, don't think the GD (though slightly larger and heavier) was a much better car. And in turn, the '08+ is that much better.

Same goes for the Legacy. Yeah I'll miss the nostalgia of having no door frames and getting that legendary vertical streak on my window, but I don't let it kill my love for the brand. It makes me the most sad, to see people who don't step out of their boundaries a bit, to try something new.

WTF are you talking about? the Impreza has always been offered in hatchback since the GC series, I know several people from local meets we have that have GC wagons, one of which is the butt of most of the jokes, but none the less there are GC wagons/ sport hatchbacks. I dont know what kind of subaru person you are but as far as the "die hard" subaru guys go as far as rally/off roading go they swear by their GC's for that, the more street tuner enthusiast subaru guys will swear by their GD Series WRX/STI, I know a few guys who will straight up say the GR's are nice, but they aren't nice enough for them to up and trade in their WRX/STI for a new one. Now for me, i've owned a 02 WRX, a 1998 LGT and a 2009 Legacy, me having driven 2 of the 3 generations of legacy's already, do not like the 2010's at all. As for the OP, you may be getting excited over everything you read about the new legacys, but take our word for it, get an 09 or older Legacy and you'll be much happier, and just search SOA on here you'll find atleast 100 rant threads of how SOA has screwed one of the members on here over.

I just saw the car on my lunch break.

The draw is reliability along with good AWD technology. As for the amenities I still feel they could have hit a home run but they settled for a base hit. From what I can tell SOA added many features into the next few years of the generation. Waiting may bee the solution to just keep up comfort levels of Accord

what amenities?

xenons are a basic 200$ mod.

memory seats? havent needed it.

fogs...useless with xenon.

turn signal mirror?...funny. they dont work in a 360* view pattern but are on my 07

padded upscale dash? how expensive does dense foam get? we have a padded dash now

home link?...my 07 has it.

led brake lights? not needed.

hd radio...ummm. id take a pepsi challange that my audio refinement tuner kicks the s**t out of those garbage 128 bit rates. hd? HAHAHAH! not even close. and you want it in a car environment?

sat radio...have you seen the sat function button on the prev gen? i see it everyday.

funny you didnt mention nav. nor a jbl (hk) system.

you left out the other items like the rearrangement of the rear diff. i have no idea if its electrically dont now or not. open front diff kinda sucks too. 5 speed auto is archaic. the 3rd gear is loooooooooong. seriosuly. 3rd is like 62mph to about 105. power? glad i went stage 1 looong ago. now it is at least equal to the 265+ hp cars that have been out for a while now. suspension has been a bit too soft. the previous gen L model had a better suspension. 215 width tires? weak. quit throwing on expensive crap tires while there are cheaper and much much better ones available. give bridgestone a call and dump the re 92 and pick up the re 960. funny you never mentioned the brakes...i fixed what subie messed up with hawks.

what subaru has routinely done is f**k the customers by dropping in basic but 2 year lag behind features. i think this lowers the value of the car much faster than it needs to be. the car is treated like we need to buy a newer "better" one yearly due to this. now look at it. they rebuilt a new gen and added what? next year there will be memory seats. then the next year something else. so on and so on.

really though...you are a a clown. you want pampering grandma styling with wrong wheel drive, no brakes, etc...go with a camry/accord. you also failed to mention that the acura is a $40k+ car and has all that gadget bs you are looking for. got to pay if you want it all.

you have proven yourself to prefer a grandma drive over a performance one. there are plenty of grandma cars out there and i have no idea why subaru wants to "compete" in what is already over saturated.

look at infiniti...see how they are about 5 thousand more and offer those features you are talking about? AND they have the hp, suspension etc...plus i get employee type pricing from my company. hint hint.

most of us have been or have or maybe in the process of fixing what is wrong with what we have. then the new model pops out...whats there to like about it? by paper it hasnt fixed even half of what WAS wrong and has added MORE to what is. i will be checking it out to have first person knowledge but expect to walk away with zero desire to dump my lightly modded 07 and instead will force me to look more into modding.

HAHA! hows that for some market research?

forgot to mention...the tsx which was cross shopped with the legacy is getting a v6. all that is missing is awd. thats 1 negative tot he many that the legacy has. awd was the main factor in getting the legacy. if it wasnt there or if the g35x at the time was 30k id be somewhere else.

I know this was a few pages back but when i first test drove the 09 legacy i was actually there to look at the Impreza, the impreza was a disappointment to me because it really didnt feel like a very solid car, all performance and no comfort, then the guy I was test driving the car with showed me the legacy, said same engine as the regular impreza, and alot more to offer. I wasnt so sure thought it was kinda dinky looking but i gave it a shot and really liked it, and i had looked at it on the internet and it didnt really interest me at all, so my point is you do have to actually give it a shot in person. I drove the 2010 about 2 weeks back and Im going to compare the 2 side by side tomorrow and try to make a decision before I go away to a summer camp for a month (I turn 16 during this period and Im trying to make a decision before I go away) Judging by the internet I think that subaru took a step back in the design but comparing the 2 side by side might change that perspective.

you are 15.

wtf do you know about cars and how they drive?

go play pretend somewhere else.

you describe the legacy as dinky after looking at the impretzel?

I will jump in with my two cents. The OP seems to be in a different market then I was, the 05-09 Legacy could hold its head high when compared to the likes of BMW and Audi in styling and performance but with the new generation the styling definately misses the mark. In my opinion being happy that it can now compete with the Camry is a step backwards although Subaru may realize increased sales. If I was shopping for a new car this year (or until they change the styling) I would definately not be in the market for a new Legacy.

agree with you.

otoh...if it is that bland maybe these stupid people in scrap heaps for cars will quit going out of their way to ding our doors.

to me that says alot about a 30k car that these people feel jealous enough to do this routinely. let alone the more expensive big boys will park next to us.

how do they let 15 year olds test drive the car? when i was 16 almost 17 looking at USED cars, they wouldn't let me test drive with my learners permit (for those who dont know you must be 17 in new jersey to drive) so I call the bullsh*t flag, maybe daddy drove the car for you? if thats the case your first car should not be a brand new 2010 (or 2009?) Legacy, my first car was a 1992 300ZX non turbo and when i learned to drive a little bit I bought a WRX (it "broke") kids these days, so glad my first car was not a brand new nice car. thats a

Every person i ask about the Infinity G37 they love the look of the car. The 2010 has a very close look to it. I must be crazy but I thought the last model Legacy looked bad. Small out of date with very little styling. I am sure it performed very well. I have been drawn to the 2010 bassed on its looks. I do drive an Accord but only bought it do to its reliability not its looks. I thought the 2010 would give me both looks and quality AWD just its lacking amenities.

hmmm. which accord do you have? cause if you day a stripped down 4 cyl you need a kick in the balls.

you bought it due to its reliability? how is the auto with the v6 turning out? you bought it because its the mindless choice that most mindless people buy into. thats a fad/commonality. you bought what others buy. you have never mentioned what you cross shopped with originally when getting the honda. i bet the camry is right there. maybe a buick too. see the trend?

you want amenities? why didnt/dont you get an acura?

the g37 is a womans car from behind. waay too curvy. BUT it has tons more other things going for it.

last gen looked bad? ummm.no. the 05-09...ummm no. with the 05-09 they went more euro with simplistic sheet metal than the bendy, curvy, creased everywhere possible normal japanese look. now? more japanese bland with stupid sheet metal.

let me give you a hint...over sized wheel arches with 215mm width tires or even 225 does NOT make it a widebody. it makes it look retarded. if i wanted ford focus wheel arches i would have mentioned it years ago. now that i think of it...NO ONE has asked for over sized s**t looking wheel arches.

Subaduba,

it seems like you've opened a can of worms. If you do a search on the 2010 Legacy, you'll see how heated the opinions are. There are a lot of people that are passionate about their cars, and hate to see "mainstream" changes.

I personally don't mind the car. I would have to wait to actually drive the car, but I'm disappointed about some of the basic features. I was hoping for a better automatic transmission. The 5-spd auto was great at the time, but a lot of manufacturers have gone to 6-spd (and above) as well as CVT for their upper end models (i.e. V6 models). The rear trunk hatch seems a lot smaller. I do like the fact that the rear seat is a lot bigger.

You should just go see the car yourself in person. Pictures don't show the actual good and bad of a car. I don't know who you are, so what I look for in a vehicle may be totally different than what you are looking for.

If you do get a chance to drive one, let us know.

Richard B.

Fist of all my goal is not to spend my entire paycheck on modifying my car so it is the fastest car on the block. I have a family with two little kids and live in a climate where all wheel drive could benefit me. My goal is to find a nice car with features and performance. When I purchased my 07 V6 EX Accord I did look at many cars including the Subaru but the Subaru fell short in almost every area. To small, boring styling, overpriced for what you got. The list goes on. Taste is a personal thing. I think the 2010 looks great even though the Legacy masses do not feel it does. Well maybe time to move out the old and bring in a new. I am sure you can find a 72 Nova you can fix up so you can be the coolest guy in the nationhood. Get your case of beer and get to the drag strip every Friday night for a good time. I will still be looking for nice car with good features and performance.

Dude if you just want the car to drive, go post this up on edmunds or something, you're preaching to the wrong choir, not everyone on this site modifies their legacy either but they also aren't non subaru owners preaching to subaru owners about things they barely know about. But as far as preaching all of us about what you think the 2010 legacy should have in it, search the forums, you'll find plenty of feedback on it, and you might realize, you could get a 2009 legacy with all those features that you want in your coveted 2010, right now for no money down and 0% APR for 6 years. That's a great deal, and you might be even happier with your purchase.

Richard B.

Fist of all my goal is not to spend my entire paycheck on modifying my car so it is the fastest car on the block. I have a family with two little kids and live in a climate where all wheel drive could benefit me. My goal is to find a nice car with features and performance. When I purchased my 07 V6 EX Accord I did look at many cars including the Subaru but the Subaru fell short in almost every area. To small, boring styling, overpriced for what you got. The list goes on. Taste is a personal thing. I think the 2010 looks great even though the Legacy masses do not feel it does. Well maybe time to move out the old and bring in a new. I am sure you can find a 72 Nova you can fix up so you can be the coolest guy in the nationhood. Get your case of beer and get to the drag strip every Friday night for a good time. I will still be looking for nice car with good features and performance.

spend a whole paycheck? not needed. some do it much cheaper. it's to "fix" what we dont like. you dont have to mod anything if you dont want to. thats the great thing about america. free choice.

fastest car on the block? nope. just a little bit faster/quicker than your accord. believe me. they all try and fail. the stock 5eat needs a stage 1 to be competitive with todays 265+ hp family blobs. why did you buy the 6cyl if you arent worried about power?

so now your kids play a role in car purchase? what about 2.5 years ago? subaru and audi have been doing awd for much longer than 2.5 years. dont pull the kids card on me. i take no pity when you use them in that manner.

boring? i guess if you like bends, molds, creases, wings it is. over priced? as opposed to what? there is no other car in its price with awd that offers what it does. you could have bough the g35x for 5k more. my guess is...you didnt want to go over 25k. too small? its a compact but somehow a family of 4 can still fit in it.

some suspect you to be a subaru robot or what ever the hell they are talking about. i have no idea. but your statements dont seem to carry much thought. you seem to be more of a mindset of a kid looking for attention and for us to do the thinking for you. im not a babysitter nor do i hold hands. if you are a regular person...there is nothing greater then driving the car your self.

:lol:http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo102/jagcars26/shipment_of_fail.jpg

You crack me up, Rudy. I guess the feeling is mutual. :lol:

Tell you what, let's meet in the middle. I'll give you one, just to make you happy (well, probably not, but I'll do it anyway). Know how so many people say that the '10 resembles a Camry, or Altima, or pick-your-other-supposedly-boring-family-sedan?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6459109&postcount=34

Not to be a total ass, but is it just me, or do these pictures make the new Legacy look very bland and dull? The wagon looks okay in the pics, but the sedan looks BORING! Wheels all around look very uninspired as well. Feel like I'm looking at early 90's Nissans or something...

For some reason, the Subaru released photos makes the wagon look a lot sleaker and sexier than portrayed here...

Not that he has a particularly great track record of being docile and objective, but this is what I mean. Some back in '04 when pics started showing up, had a similar opinion to what's out there now, with the '10. It's a new car, it always happens, and it always fades with time, except for those few people who will always hate it, and stick with their older model.

WTF are you talking about? the Impreza has always been offered in hatchback since the GC series, I know several people from local meets we have that have GC wagons, one of which is the butt of most of the jokes, but none the less there are GC wagons/ sport hatchbacks. I dont know what kind of subaru person you are but as far as the "die hard" subaru guys go as far as rally/off roading go they swear by their GC's for that, the more street tuner enthusiast subaru guys will swear by their GD Series WRX/STI, I know a few guys who will straight up say the GR's are nice, but they aren't nice enough for them to up and trade in their WRX/STI for a new one. Now for me, i've owned a 02 WRX, a 1998 LGT and a 2009 Legacy, me having driven 2 of the 3 generations of legacy's already, do not like the 2010's at all.

I love all kinds of Subies, old and new. I was all set to buy a Golf in 2000; my wife grew up with an '84 GL and suggested Subaru, so I found the RS and bought one. So I know all about the GCs - owned mine for nearly nine years, and still keep in touch with the guy who bought my car, last year. I still spend time on RS25.com every so often, too.

I disagree with the GF Impreza being a "hatchback" in terms of design; to me it's a flat-out wagon. But some people disagree, so really it's all in the interpretation.

Archived