LegacyGT.com

Did they miss the mark on the 2010 Limited

Ignore all the whining "faithful" and buy what you like. Yes it's different, but so was the 2005 when it came out. Everyone screamed bloody murder then, too, but later proclaimed that the design was sleek, wonderful, and everything the Legacy should be.

This time around, it might be a little bit of a louder scream, due to the size increase. But the way I see it is this: yes, it may be a bit bigger, but Subaru should get its market share. AWD isn't exclusive, anymore. They don't own that niche like they used to. So keep making cars that are slightly sportier than the proposed competition; only now, it's more direct competition (Accord/Camry).

Besides, the more money Subaru makes, the more they can cater to the fans. We all want them to be sporty and wonderful and sell us STIs and parts to our hearts' content. But that's kind of hard to do, when you don't have any money. ;)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact is this could be thir breakout year. Even if the 2x they would still be small so why not try to grow and gain other demigraphics other then the small loyal group they have now.

IMO Their "small loyal group" is mostly what has kept them in business in the past .The Outback was a big hit that brought customers into the showrooms.The WRX another.

But when you come out with crap that people don't want or like year after year(Tribeca,Baja,new Impreza, for example) and your desighn dept stinks your gonna lose the fan base.

Even the loyal fan base is rethinking the Subaru brand no matter how reliable etc they are .

"Breakout year" you gotta be kidding:rolleyes:

Ignore all the whining "faithful" and buy what you like. Yes it's different, but so was the 2005 when it came out. Everyone screamed bloody murder then, too, but later proclaimed that the design was sleek, wonderful, and everything the Legacy should be.

This time around, it might be a little bit of a louder scream, due to the size increase. But the way I see it is this: yes, it may be a bit bigger, but Subaru should get its market share. AWD isn't exclusive, anymore. They don't own that niche like they used to. So keep making cars that are slightly sportier than the proposed competition; only now, it's more direct competition (Accord/Camry).

Besides, the more money Subaru makes, the more they can cater to the fans. We all want them to be sporty and wonderful and sell us STIs and parts to our hearts' content. But that's kind of hard to do, when you don't have any money. ;)

You're full of crap. Show me the posts that don't exist.

In an expanding market, focusing on market share is a secondary consideration. 1.1% of an expanding market means sales increases year to year.

In a contracting market, Subaru's 1.1% of the marketplace becomes target #1 for the bigger players, because there is no other place to go to get sales. This is sales and marketing 101. Any marketing changes Subaru makes in this climate is primary to preserving and expanding market share, even at the expense of margin.

I'd bet my house there are white boards in the V.P. of sales office at GM, VW, Honda, et al with Subaru's market share noted, and a big hand written message next to it saying the equivalent of "TAKE IT".

The automotive industry is going to get bloodier, and if Subaru's market share is not expanded, I would not be surprised to see Toyota with a controlling interest in Subaru sooner rather than later.

The market may not always be right, but the market always wins.

From the looks of the 2010 they already do.:lol:

:rolleyes:You better do some catching up pal,,the 2005 and up Legacys are basically what kept boards like this alive.

They had a great product, now,not so much.

I just saw the car on my lunch break.

The draw is reliability along with good AWD technology. As for the amenities I still feel they could have hit a home run but they settled for a base hit. From what I can tell SOA added many features into the next few years of the generation. Waiting may bee the solution to just keep up comfort levels of Accord

IMO, Subaru still failed.

Why is it that hard to design a car with both market segments taken into consideration? I don't believe it's difficult at all. The 'enthusiasts' were just ignored all together.

You certainly can make a car more tuner friendly. General looks aside for now, can STI parts cross over? Can I fit wider rims? Can I easily fit a larger turbo? Is the new 6spd as strong as the old (no)? Can Subaru make it easier to acquire JDM parts (sure they could)? Did Subaru plan on upgrades as part of the design process (no again, they could have)?

If this was done then this car would sell to both markets. With enough aftermarket parts its looks could be modded enough to not bother us.

We were simply ignored all together and as someone mentioned, once it’s time for a new car almost all of us will look elsewhere.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

You're full of crap. Show me the posts that don't exist.

Hop on NASIOC and find them yourself. I'm not the librarian. :lol:

I've been around Subaru communities for 10 years - yes, it happened.

Learning history from you would be like learning it from Goebbels :rolleyes:

People bitched about 05-09? :lol::lol: 80% of the people on this forum wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the 05-09 legacies, 60% of those on here it is their first subaru, maybe even more than that. In 2003 when photos came out of the 2005 legacy GT it got a lot of people excited, including myself and I was driving a 03 WRX and a 98 LGT because I couldn't afford a 05+ LGT at the time they were differant in a good way. And subaduda you have to be a soa employee to be this gung ho over the 2010, those "die hard" subaru fans hate the gr body style of the impreza. "Die hard" subaru guys drive gc impreza's or gd wrx/sti's almost every subaru guy I've met at meets hate the GR body style. And as far as the new legacy goes, NOONE likes the new legacy. Once again we have another failed attempt at a SOA rep on this forum.

Learning history from you would be like learning it from Goebbels :rolleyes:

So just because the 05-09 is loved by the majority now, that means it always was? It's not true. The car got quite a few negative opinions, even if there was a lot of very positive press and some obviously great appreciation for the GT finally being turbo.

Maybe you guys don't remember it, but I do. You can be cynical all day long - I really don't care. Some love to do it just for fun, anyway, and always have.

People bitched about 05-09? :lol::lol: 80% of the people on this forum wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the 05-09 legacies

Well, sure. It's a Legacy forum. :)

Point being that it's never all sunshine and roses, for a new model release.

And I guarentee if the 2005 legacy gt was still like 2004 and older those people would still be driving their nissan's, audi/volkswagen's whatever else they were driving that wasn't a subaru. And I bet that population will go with a differant company when their lgt's are old news. I'll tell you what, who ever said GM was a mess, I'll go buy a camaro as my next car if the legacies keep getting ugly atleast theyre true to their roots.

I do not work for SOA but a computer reseller. If I worked for SOA I would have added the items I talked about in my original post. Just a guy looking for a good family car that is larger and higher and safe. But I want my toys and comforts.

And I guarentee if the 2005 legacy gt was still like 2004 and older those people would still be driving their nissan's, audi/volkswagen's whatever else they were driving that wasn't a subaru. And I bet that population will go with a differant company when their lgt's are old news. I'll tell you what, who ever said GM was a mess, I'll go buy a camaro as my next car if the legacies keep getting ugly atleast theyre true to their roots.

The only thing, so far (I guess besides the Outback's grille....shiver...) that I truly don't like about the '10 is the electronic e-brake. That takes way too much fun away from the car!

I see Subaru's perspective. They truly need something, besides AWD, to keep them alive. They don't have the niche market panache to stay afloat just on fandom alone, at least in North America. They're in between Honda/Toyota's mega-manufacturer status, and boutique individual. So, moving the Legacy up to official mid-size segment is a chance to throw their hat into a somewhat different ring.

I don't see all of the arguments about them not staying true to roots. They still use the turbo EJ. They're making improvements to it, constantly (we'll see what happens with the lower-mounted turbo; could be good, could not). Power's up, weight didn't follow it (much), and there's been some good feedback from some of the press. Not all, but it's an even split among reputable sources, IMO.

Plus, the Impreza finally went hatchback. People screamed murder about that one...worse than any Legacy naysayers by far... but if you ask me it was a wise move. It's a smarter design, and in keeping with modern WRC trends. (I also think they'll start again in WRC - it's just a temporary fiscal hiatus.) More rigid, more practical, more powerful...

What "roots" folks are clinging to, I really don't know. Small size? Sure, I can see that.... but as a GC6 driver for nearly nine years, I know few right-minded people who, other than aesthetics, don't think the GD (though slightly larger and heavier) was a much better car. And in turn, the '08+ is that much better.

Same goes for the Legacy. Yeah I'll miss the nostalgia of having no door frames and getting that legendary vertical streak on my window, but I don't let it kill my love for the brand. It makes me the most sad, to see people who don't step out of their boundaries a bit, to try something new.

So just because the 05-09 is loved by the majority now, that means it always was? It's not true. The car got quite a few negative opinions, even if there was a lot of very positive press and some obviously great appreciation for the GT finally being turbo.

Maybe you guys don't remember it, but I do. You can be cynical all day long - I really don't care. Some love to do it just for fun, anyway, and always have.

Link the threads from any forum or shut the f*** up. Sure there could be few dissending voices, particulrly about the Canadian bumpers and less content compared to the JDM variant, but show me that "bloody murder" screaming.Or shut the f*** up.

:spin::spin::spin:

camaro was made only because the retro mustang was doing well in sales. The Camaro is 4 years late to the game. Even Chrysler beat GM on this one. Roots?

Now how the hell does that pertain to the context of this thread? That is a different discussion altogether :spin:

I've been around Subaru longer then you "Mr 10years" and the tide is changing on all their models.

It only took you about a million posts here to finally buy a used GT.Go back to rs2.5.com and do your thing because your talking out your ass.

Feelin the love yet ??

It makes me the most sad, to see people who don't step out of their boundaries a bit, to try something new.

:rolleyes: Read this, mmmkay?

Listen, I (personally) am f'n tired of people saying this community doesn't like change. Really, in general, no one who owns an '05 GT likes change? That's really quite odd considering that when the '05 came out people jumped all over themselves for that car, myself included. '02 LGT owner here and I didn't have a complaint about the '05. I couldn't wait to buy one. Was I mad it was better than mine? No. Was I mad it was a newer gen? No. Was I pissed that it looked different than mine? No. Was I f'n thrilled that it has the performance, style, and amenities that I wanted? Yes. Simply yes. So please, stop saying the community "in general" doesn't like change. It's not about change... it's about creating something we actually LIKE. Sorry to SOA and all the bots if it's not what we like but stop passing it off as if we're chained to our old models with our heads up our ass and can't appreciate change. F that. Make us something we can actually get excited about and I'll show you change with cold hard cash.

Sure there could be few dissending voices, particulrly about the Canadian bumpers and less content compared to the JDM variant, but show me that "bloody murder" screaming.

There were a lot of dissending voices, though. Again, a lot of appreciation for the turbo and a (much) nicer interior (particularly since I nearly bought an '00 GT, and my wife has an '01 OB, so it's first-hand opinion too). However, quite a few people got upset about the new "rounded" look and how it was less "tough looking" than before. A lot of people hated the blob-eye headlight look, or the grille, and so forth. Those who were willing to stop listening to their own b.s. were the ones who came to appreciate the '05. So, as usual, the ones with the loudest voices, typically negative, want to hear themselves the most.

:rolleyes: Read this, mmmkay?

It would hold a lot more air, if there weren't so many people not giving the '10 a chance. How many people here have even driven one, compared to the size of the community?

I've been around Subaru longer then you "Mr 10years" and the tide is changing on all their models.

It only took you about a million posts here to finally buy a used GT.Go back to rs2.5.com and do your thing because your talking out your ass.

Feelin the love yet ??

From you? Always.

Archived