LegacyGT.com

Wideband in rear o2 housing?

John M

So my LC-1 kit is on the way. I'd really rather not have to unwrap my downpipe to have a bung welded in for the o2 sensor so I was wondering if I could use the stock rear o2 port instead?

Of course it'll be a PITA to install & remove it but I can handle that -- I've got ramps. It shouldn't be hard to disable any CELs relating to the secondary o2.

As a side note, Tuner Tools (tunertools.com) has great service. I'm always hesitant to use a vendor I've never heard of but after seeing it mentioned here I'm glad I did.

I think you need to have a "fake" rear o2 signal sent to the ecu (it is not as easy as disabling CELs), the rear o2 is used for cruise afrs (I think)...I thought about doing it and then just gave in and installed a bung on the DP. I took it to a shop and they installed the bung with the DP on the car..easy as pie.

Reference pic.

CIMG3554.JPG.5409cfc4787cf2c4bf69e5b9cea51b0f.JPG

Thankfully the LC-1 kit (arrived today) includes a bung so it's now simply a matter of getting it welded.

I've been thinking though -- how do they use a tailpipe sniffer type wideband on dynos and such? Does it require a totally catless car?

Put the WB where COBB puts it. On the top of the DP just bast the turbo. LC-1 reads just fine there.

^^^ This.

I have a LC-1 with the o2 sensor on the dp right behind the turbo.

However you should be aware that it may over-heat and damage the sensor if it's too close and/or if you run the car really hard.

I had to learn the hard way after killing 2 sensors in 6 months.

You may wish to consider getting a HBX-1 bung extender. It seems like a rip-off at $70 but after going through so many sensors the value became more clear to me. :spin:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/innovate-motorsports-hbx1-heatsink-bung-extender-p-73.html

(Note: Not my site. Not affiliated. Can't vouch for them. It's the first link on Google.)

i'm guessing that heat sink would work for the AEM UEGO as well?

No, but what a pain to remove your tmic every time you need to change out your wo2! Unless, of course, you're running an fmic and no engine cover...

i'm think the bung in the top of DP is accessible under my Perrin TMIC without removing it.

I will vouch for the validity of the hbx-1's.

I run my LM-1 on just about any car that needs it, but it spends it's free time about 4" back from my turbo on my rotary.

Rotaries run a little hotter in the egt's than piston power, and after killing 2 sensors myself I bought the extender.

Worth every penny; been on the same sensor for just over two years without issue on fuel from 91-104octanes including ethanol and methanol blends.

Once the car is dialed in I don't expect to run the WB much after that.

For another question: What about the Invidia downpipe with a divided inlet? I don't want to put the sensor after the bellmouth because it'd be hard to use next to the firewall.

Can I place the bung centered on the "large" side (turbo's exhaust wheel) of the inlet?

Archived