LegacyGT.com

Any consensus on Brake Upgrades

chucktoo

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Actually, I have only done pads and fluid, everything else is stock.

There's actually a lot you can do out there, but the main question is:

"what do you want to do with the car?"

Endless makes a big brake kit as well with matching rotors to your needs. Same goes for Stoptech/(Cobb) and Wilwood, and Legacy STi Brembos.

Also, do you want to keep the stock wheels? Or do you plan to up-size those as well? What's the weather like where you live? Do you need this car to be very streetable? Do you need all out endurance race stopping power?

I think it's safer to ask yourself what your car will see in terms of action, and I can guide you in the right direction to prepare your car for your action. You can change my suggestions to your liking later as to what you want at the end as a product.

Keefe

Ok here goes

I want to keep my stock wheels.

Live in Colorado so we have a full 4 seasons.

Need the car to be very streetable. Drive it everyday to and from work, weekend racer for sure. Autox, no track racing. Spirited street driving, no SQUEEKS DESIRED AT ALL.

Dont need ALL OUT STOPPING but better than stock would be great.

Thanks

well, to update the thread a little more.

Its easy just to say that any brake upgrade available for the front of an STi or a WRX works with the Legacy GT and will probably be listed to fit.

For the rear, there aren't as many choices. There is a bracket that come companies have produced (Godspeed?) that allow you to use the rear Brembos from a USDM STi.

As far as clearance with stock wheels, I really don't know what works. I saw in a thread here that stock USDM STi Brembos require the use of a 12mm spacer in the front. On the other hand, I have a Rotora 13" setup and it clears the stock wheels quite easily.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

well, to update the thread a little more.

Its easy just to say that any brake upgrade available for the front of an STi or a WRX works with the Legacy GT and will probably be listed to fit.

For the rear, there aren't as many choices. There is a bracket that come companies have produced (Godspeed?) that allow you to use the rear Brembos from a USDM STi.

As far as clearance with stock wheels, I really don't know what works. I saw in a thread here that stock USDM STi Brembos require the use of a 12mm spacer in the front. On the other hand, I have a Rotora 13" setup and it clears the stock wheels quite easily.

what brake pads are you using???

what brake pads are you using???

I am using Rotora brake pads. I use their H2 compound which is a street/track pad. Quiet. moderate dusting.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I get my brakes parts from:

www.brakeswap.com

www.racecompengineering.com (Authorized Endless Distributor)

Motul is the better choice now as ATE Super Blue is no longer made.. you end up paying a few bucks more for better performance.

Keefe

Typ 200 is still being made, don't be misinformed. ATE only discontinued the Super Blue lineup. They have the same exact properties.

Plenty of vendors carry this stuff...try the vendor's classified and find a deal there! :)

Its great having the Super Blue and alternating with Motul... Its easy to see when the fluid has switched.

hahaha, this is true. I have had 2 bottle of ATE SuperBlue here at home for a while.. When i needed it, I was at the track and didn't bring the bottle... so I bought some Motul from someone there.. Awesome stuff.

What I can't wait to try is the new 5.1 stuff. Its just a little expensive.

Super Blue and Typ200 is more than even anyone will ever need. Not to mention is MUCH more economical.

But some of you guys love to drive fast and slam brakes :rolleyes: you'll know the difference when your fluid and pads start to heat up ;)

I'll say this, anyone who will do a brake fluid flush and think of putting in stock fluid, do yourself a favor and put in at least Typ200 (the yellow version of the Super Blue, same thing and specs, just different in color).

Keefe

Keefe

Funny...I was going to buy Motul and my installer talked me out of it, saying SuperBlue was more than adequate for street and occasional track use. I trust his opinion, being a real race mechanic

But some of you guys love to drive fast and slam brakes :rolleyes: you'll know the difference when your fluid and pads start to heat up ;)

I'll say this, anyone who will do a brake fluid flush and think of putting in stock fluid, do yourself a favor and put in at least Typ200 (the yellow version of the Super Blue, same thing and specs, just different in color).

Keefe

Yes, because I'm sure you've boiled over your super blue several times? :rolleyes:

Archived