LegacyGT.com

Leptronix Aux-In

RedFloyd

Also sent payment. U might want to update the OP in this thread. I was expecting $105 but the paypal link charged $115.

Thanks for the advise, it looks like I forgot this one. The price as changed since the beginning because of the exchange rate between CAD and USD. Also, I cannot include the audio cable anymore in my kit since the prices you can have in US are better than what I can find here. So it is better for you to purchase it local. Remember, the audio input on the aux in card is standard 1/8 stereo headphone plug (female, same as on the ipod).

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advise, it looks like I forgot this one. The price as changed since the beginning because of the exchange rate between CAD and USD. Also, I cannot include the audio cable anymore in my kit since the prices you can have in US are better than what I can find here. So it is better for you to purchase it local. Remember, the audio input on the aux in card is standard 1/8 stereo headphone plug (female, same as on the ipod).

That's fine. I'm willing to pay the extra for the features your kit includes. I already have a cable so that's gravy too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, today was the day. I finally got the audio cable I ordered from Amazon, so I installed the Leptronix aux-in after I got home from work. Started at 3:30 and finished up at about 8:30 with little to no breaks in between. Here is my experience:

Getting the radio out was easier than I expected.

The directions he provides are very good, knowing to have a #1 star bit for a few screws ahead of time is nice. I ended up having one, or at least it was just a very small phillips head but it worked out well anyway.

The worst part I found was putting the CD player ribbon cable into the Leptronix board after it was mounted to the box. I tried taking the front plate off and that was a very bad idea, it took me a while to get it back together.

**What Ive learned is you should test fit the CD ribbon cable to the Leptronix board before you mount it. This will make it a lot easier to get the CD ribbon properly seated when you can barely fit your fingers in there.

The switch that came with it had posts that were a little too big for the connectors, some prying with a flat head screwdriver did the trick. I bought a high quality audio cable that was almost too big to use, it was 10' 22awg. I would get something easier to manage next time.

I should post pictures but Im so tired, I'll do it tomorrow after I get a chance to drive around and listen to good music for a change lol :) Thanks RF!!

Wow!! I received a bunch of orders in the last hours! Because of that, everything is now sold out. I may build more kits if there's sufficient demand for them. So please, should you be interested, don't hesitate to send me a pm or email.

Just installed it, instructions were great! Missed a few simple steps, but they were easy to figure out (ie: removing the hazard button, and also the bottom plate below the circuit board where you solder).

Works great, and it was worth every penny. Now I'm just trying to figure out where to mount the button. I might put it on the opposite side of the hazard button, or possibly in the cig tray.

Got mine a few weeks ago and installed it. It was a very straightforward and well-documented install and it works like a charm. I'm a very satisfied customer and highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't fear one solder point.

One question to everyone about the finishing work - the switch looks pretty straightforward to mount onto the arm rest, but it seems like everyone is going with the "headphone wire just hanging out wherever there's a hole" plan for the audio. Does anyone have more "clean" install advice? I have one end of a 1/8" headphone jack and I'd like to have it flush against some plastic without falling through. If anyone has experience in these kinds of mods, I'd love the advice.

Thanks.

Got one; throwing my two cents into the pot here.

Arrived quickly without fuss, all parts good. The disassembly of the console is outright draconian, but you can hardly fault anyone but Subaru for that. The disassembly of the radio was made easy by the very well put-together instructions. Soldering was less terrifying than I was anticipating, and I mounted the switch on the left side of the face, opposite the hazard button. Had to dremel through some metal to make it work, but it fits. Cable fished out through the ashtray to compliment my droid mount.

And then it didn't work quite right. At first, it was working, then intermittantly power-cycing the radio, coming back on to the lowest FM radio station number. No bueno. So I rippped the whole thing apart again to discover that the pcb had become partially un-stuck from its mounting location and was making contact with the head unit in some bad ways. Re-stuck, back together, all good.

Then the switch wouldn't work quite right. "Aux On" was fine, but both "Auto" and "Off" worked as "Auto," which was frustrating if I wanted to listen to a CD (had to kill the input and wait a bit). My brother and I took it apart one last time and discovered that the leads going into the switch were being bridged by the edge of the hole I had cut in the metal face. Oops. Electrical tape applied, and we were back in business.

Conclusion:

Everything works great now, and the things that didn't work great were my fault. Good product, worth every $.

Wishful Thinking:

I think it would be cool to have the input terminate in a female jack, integrated into a cigarette lighter, which also has a USB plug. Sort of a one-stop shop for power and audio for most USB devices. A man can dream, I guess.

One question to everyone about the finishing work - the switch looks pretty straightforward to mount onto the arm rest, but it seems like everyone is going with the "headphone wire just hanging out wherever there's a hole" plan for the audio. Does anyone have more "clean" install advice? I have one end of a 1/8" headphone jack and I'd like to have it flush against some plastic without falling through. If anyone has experience in these kinds of mods, I'd love the advice.

Thanks.

Take a look at my install. page 21 5th post down in this thread. Let me know if you have questions

I tried installing my board today but my radio/climate control does not power up now. I hear the cd changer come on for a second and then nothing. No response to the buttons and the lcds do not light up. I opened it up again and didn't see anything loose and I think the solder is alright. I didn't connect the switch since I left it at work.. Will that prevent the unit from powering up?

When putting back the stereo, make sure you firmly connect all 4 connectors to the back of the stereo (two black square, 1 black rectangle, and one big white rectangle) and also connect the hazard connector.

I would guess that you didn't plug something in correctly.

When putting back the stereo, make sure you firmly connect all 4 connectors to the back of the stereo (two black square, 1 black rectangle, and one big white rectangle) and also connect the hazard connector.

I would guess that you didn't plug something in correctly.

Figured it out. If I squeeze really hard on the face plate, the lcds will come on...so for some reason the face plate connections are not seating all the way...now to figure out how to fix that.

Ok, there are two internal connections on the faceplate when you take apart the stereo. They connect between the faceplate and the "cage". Make sure those are connected and seated properly. What you described above sounds like a loose or improper connection there.

Ok, there are two internal connections on the faceplate when you take apart the stereo. They connect between the faceplate and the "cage". Make sure those are connected and seated properly. What you described above sounds like a loose or improper connection there.

Turns out when I was putting the cage back, I had a couple of the tabs behind instead of in front, so the cage was further from the connections than it should be. I got my radio working again and the aux input works great.

Sold out?

Bummer. I'll be ordering one real soon.

Has anyone done an iPod-specific mod with the dock connector? Something that will provide line-out to the stereo and power to the ipod?

Here is my install:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/Rjukan07/CubbiewthIpodcable.jpg

^ The cable I got was: "Long 5ft iPod / iPhone 2-in-1 Audio and Sync Cable. Apple Dock Connector to 3.5mm Audio AUX (Auxiliary) Connector AND USB Charge/sync Connector" I didnt like the cable in the cubbie, so I ended up hiding it underneath. I drilled a couple holes for the aux-in, the usb cable, and the sync cable.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/Rjukan07/Cubbie.jpg

^To get the sync cable through I removed the cig lighter and cut a small notch to the holes for the cables. I used tar tape to fill the holes around the cables.

Thats a "elago Nano EL-Car-001 USB Car Charger for iPhone, iPod, MP3 Players, Digital Cameras, PDAs, Mobile Phones and more (Black)" for the charger, and I dont have any noise issues at all when charging and listening to music.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/Rjukan07/AuxInSwitchLoc.jpg

^ Switch location.

Thanks again, great product

• 2 weeks later...

HI all!!

It's been a long time since the last update. I have big projects going up at home and at work...

I'm glad to say that I just ordered parts to build more units, since I still have many request. I will build the boards this week, and should have some kits ready to ship in the beginning of the week of July 26th.

Price is the same has before, ordering can be made through my website here:

http://sites.google.com/site/leptronix/

I have to remind everyone that my aux in works only with USDM cars. Also standard shipping does not allow tracking and it can take up to two full weeks for the package to arrive. I saw shipping delay as less as 4 days sometimes also. I can provide tracking number, but you will have to pay an extra. Finally, orders in Canada must contact me before ordering since the shipping cost is not the same as in USA.

Thanks everyone!