LegacyGT.com

Combatting front tire wear on outer edges

I've got just over 1000 miles on my new Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires, and am already noticing some slight feathering on the front outer edges. I'm not a "balls-out cornering" kinda' guy and my alignment was done by my dealer at installation--and just re-checked again last week.

OhBe1 was kind enough to offer some non-standard alignment suggestions, but sadly my dealer won't go there. I'm going to call an indy Subaru mechanic near here and see if he's got any suggestions.

In the meantime, I'm currently running tire pressures of 36F/34R. Would it make sense to try increasing or reducing?

Could this be caused by too much camber or is it clearly a toe-in issue? Just don't wanna' burn through a $700 set of tires if I can help it.

Thanks,

Tim

I have had this issue as well, i just put on some new tires and the dealer did the alignment for 90 bucks. I am going to keep an eye on them this time. Last year in september I had brand new tires put on and an alignment. Less than a year went by before the inside of the tires were destroyed.

get an alignment (not from the dealership because they won't do what you ask, and they suck). ask for as much negative camber as possible in front(stock adjustability is not that much). also zero the toe and you should be good. with the negative camber you won't end up chewing the outsides of you tires when you are cornering. my dad lives in the curvy country roads, and doing this got rid of the front outside wear on his forester from cornering.

When I replaced the front struts on my friends OB my trusted alignment guy had me open up the inside of the top hole on the strut where the spindle mounts to it.

He had me do that so he could fix the cupping of her OEM tires.

Hers is an 05 too.

Sounds like you'll ned to do the same.

It's a Subaru issue.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've had this issue with my 08 OB (2nd set of tires) and my 2000 OB. Several new sets of tires and alignments (different places as well) between the two. At this point I believe this is a Subaru issue as well. I just don't get it.

The angles are off on the spindle. The easy fix is to elongate the top hole to the inside so the wheel can be tilted inboard.

My guy said the cars just meet the spec. But with a longer hole, he could move it more towards center of the spec limits.

I used a rotary file in the air tool to open up the hole.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

When I had my alignment done last fall after beating it out of shape rally-xing all summer, my tech told me that Subaru generally, and the OB specifically, call for a significant positive camber in the specs. He said he could never figure out why, because it always causes the outside tire wear issue, and makes the handling crap.

He adjusted my camber as far as my holes would allow, and suggested the same thing as above for when I replace the struts - open up the mount holes to allow more inboard movement of the top of the spindles on the struts, therefore better negative (or just less positive) camber.

Scott. :cool:

I went about .125 but my guy said .150 would have been more towards perfect.

The rotary file, I find next to the drill bit's at the hardware store. $6.00 or so.

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=rotary+file&btnG=Google+Search

FWIW, my suggestion was max front negative camber (turned out to be about 0.7deg in our case), and a tiny beit of toe in (0.05 deg all around).

Much better. Wife happy, I'm happy.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

if you're gonna drop $700 on tires spend another $90 on an alignment!

Thanks for the 'advice'.

It's been aligned already and re-checked a second time by the dealer I bought my car from--and who's been doing all my alignments since then without issue. I won't go to STS, Firestone or any of those other sh!tty chains for an alignment, so my options are limited.

I have had this issue as well, i just put on some new tires and the dealer did the alignment for 90 bucks. I am going to keep an eye on them this time. Last year in september I had brand new tires put on and an alignment. Less than a year went by before the inside of the tires were destroyed.

Wow, the insides?? Now that's a clear alignment issue there....toe out! I've never heard of that happening on our cars....always seems to be the outer edges. I hope your dealer made good on his mistake!

Tim

When I replaced the front struts on my friends OB my trusted alignment guy had me open up the inside of the top hole on the strut where the spindle mounts to it.

He had me do that so he could fix the cupping of her OEM tires.

Hers is an 05 too.

Sounds like you'll ned to do the same.

It's a Subaru issue.

Just so I understand....what did opening up the top hole in the strut bearing/mounting plate do for you exactly?

Tim

FWIW, my suggestion was max front negative camber (turned out to be about 0.7deg in our case), and a tiny beit of toe in (0.05 deg all around).

Much better. Wife happy, I'm happy.

Thanks OhBe1....now if I can just find an indy shop (or another dealer) who "takes requests" on alignment specs, I'll be golden!! ;)

Outside of my dealer--who's always done good work, I'm at a loss of where to go for this. Meineke, Midas, STS, Sears, Wal Mart are all places where many people have had good luck, but I have not.

Tim

Thanks OhBe1....now if I can just find an indy shop (or another dealer) who "takes requests" on alignment specs, I'll be golden!! ;)

Outside of my dealer--who's always done good work, I'm at a loss of where to go for this. Meineke, Midas, STS, Sears, Wal Mart are all places where many people have had good luck, but I have not.

Tim

Try starting with the TireRack Recommended Installer listings for your zip code, then in the "Products Installed" section check the "Performance Suspension Products" box. Here's the narrowed listing for zip code 08804...

http://www.tirerack.com/installer/Installer.jsp?zipCode=08804+&srch4=S

From the listing of those shops, click on the "Select/More Info" button and check out any that offer alignments under their "Other Services Offered" group.

Quick check of those shows AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE CENTERS gets a top 5 star rating and a claim to be "racing enthusiasts and participants" so they should know how to do a non-standard, non-factory spec alignment. OK AUTO 4WD AND TIRE INC, JCL AUTOMOTIVE, and AMERICAN TIRE & AUTO all get high ratings, too.

Make a few phone calls and discuss what you're looking for and what they can do for you.

Try starting with the TireRack Recommended Installer listings for your zip code, then in the "Products Installed" section check the "Performance Suspension Products" box. Here's the narrowed listing for zip code 08804...

http://www.tirerack.com/installer/Installer.jsp?zipCode=08804+&srch4=S

From the listing of those shops, click on the "Select/More Info" button and check out any that offer alignments under their "Other Services Offered" group.

Quick check of those shows AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE CENTERS gets a top 5 star rating and a claim to be "racing enthusiasts and participants" so they should know how to do a non-standard, non-factory spec alignment. OK AUTO 4WD AND TIRE INC, JCL AUTOMOTIVE, and AMERICAN TIRE & AUTO all get high ratings, too.

Make a few phone calls and discuss what you're looking for and what they can do for you.

TRS-

Many thanks! Would not have thought to go the route of looking up a shop on Tirerack.com. Appreciate your time and guidance!

Tim

Just so I understand....what did opening up the top hole in the strut bearing/mounting plate do for you exactly?

Tim

It allowed my alignment guy to bring the alignment more to the center of the spec's. I'm thinking camber, I don't worry about that stuff, that's what I'm paying him for.

He said if I took a little more material out he could have gotten it right in the middle of the spec.

I don't worry about the numbers if your going to ask. I have been going to this guy for all the service that I can't or don't want to do for over 20 years.

He only charged me like $40.00 for the alignment as long as I did the labor to remove the material.

FWIW, In 72,000 miles on my 00' GT and 109,000 miles on my 05' GT I have never had a alignment done.

It allowed my alignment guy to bring the alignment more to the center of the spec's. I'm thinking camber, I don't worry about that stuff, that's what I'm paying him for.

He said if I took a little more material out he could have gotten it right in the middle of the spec.

I don't worry about the numbers if your going to ask. I have been going to this guy for all the service that I can't or don't want to do for over 20 years.

He only charged me like $40.00 for the alignment as long as I did the labor to remove the material.

FWIW, In 72,000 miles on my 00' GT and 109,000 miles on my 05' GT I have never had a alignment done.

Appreciate the clarification, Max.

Man, I just don't get how something this simple which cures a well-known (and annoying) Subaru issue couldn't have been addressed by Subaru's own engineers.

As for not having had an alignment done ever, your roads in UT must be a lot different than ours in the northeast!!:redface:

I've driven in NJ. You should see the roads in MA, you guy's got it good.

I have hit some pretty big pot holes, enough to make the hood pop open, but tires wear perfect.

The struts I installed on the OB were Monroe, seeing the wear on her old tires and what my guy said was going to happen to the new ones. It was obvious Monroe just followed Subaru's design on the strut.

I have often thought Subaru should make the Desiginers and Engineers drive these cars for years, so they see all the stupid things they did, not give them new ones to drive all the time.

Or may be they do drive the same car and are just to stupid to notice.

Other ways to get more camber would be "crash bolts" (alignment bolts with more offset than stock), or opening the holes on the strut. There are threads on these in the suspension forum.

There is also a fixed-offset tophat available IIRC from AVOturboworld.

EDIT - it ain't AVOturboworld, but I've seen them...I know I have....

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived