LegacyGT.com

Combatting front tire wear on outer edges

Thanks OhBe1....now if I can just find an indy shop (or another dealer) who "takes requests" on alignment specs, I'll be golden!! ;)

Outside of my dealer--who's always done good work, I'm at a loss of where to go for this. Meineke, Midas, STS, Sears, Wal Mart are all places where many people have had good luck, but I have not.

Tim

Find out who the local autocrosses go to.

The dealer is one of the worst places for an alignment generally, on part with the various chains.

Subaru publishes certain "acceptable" numbers for an alignment. This is a range. They just need to get it into this range. This leads to sloppy work and poor alignments.

At either the dealer or even at the chain shops you can sometimes find someone who will do an alignment to spec. And will show you the numbers.

FWIW, our local Mr Tire did ours. But you have to grab then by the collar, tell them you're doing a performance alignment to your specs, and that you must see the before & after numbers.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Tim I would head over to OK4WD, they aren't that far from you and they do great work.

Hey FSR....good to hear from you.

What's funny is, I've been going to OK4WD for years; tires on multiple trucks I've owned, they did an Old Man Emu suspension upgrade on my old Wrangler...they even did the studs on my OB's winter tires--but I would never have thought of going to them for an alignment on my Subue.

I'm gonna' give them a call this afternoon and see what they say.

I'm also considering the idea of drilling out my top hats as a last ditch solution, but am hoping not to have to go there to correct this. I mean, hey....I got 42k on my orig RE92's before the outside edges wore out, so the fact I'm seeing visible wear now at less than 2k miles on my new tires tells me something is wrong with Subaru's alignment spec "range".

Will report back. Thanks again....

Tim

42k on the original RE92's!? :eek: Was the steel showing through when you finally took them off the car?

Nope. As much as I disliked them, I kept on top of the tire pressure, rotations and alignment. It was only the very outer edges which were getting smooth, but sorry....no steel belts popping out ;)

Tim

Archived