LegacyGT.com

Broken swaybar bushing

korntera

I have Rallitek Legacy GT sway bar kit for the front and rear. I installed them about 2 weeks ago and already a bushing broke and slid out from the bracket. Is this normal under hard wear? I was at a track day and 5 minutes before the end of the last session i heard lots of clunking only to find out it was the front right sway bar bushing. Part of the bushing that normally holds it to the bracket ripped off allowing the bushing to free itself under hard cornering. Should I take it back or is this just normal for them to break under stress.

Energy suspension makes swaybar bushings that are much better than anything that cmoes with aftermarket bars, i reccomend you by a set of them, and you will not have this problem again. and they are only $10-$15 a set too.

I've done a lot of lapping days and haven't broken a sway bar mount yet. Did you check your torque settings? What bushing material do they use in that kit? I switched to polyurethane and it reduced a lot of noise and is more durable in general.

I didn't break a mount, its a polyerethane bushing and there are some flares on the side of it to hold it in place and one of them completly shredded off. Settings on the front sway are just fine.

• 2 months later...

Has anybody switched from Cobb bushings to Energy Suspension?

Just curious. I'm getting a minor "clunk" that sounds like metal on metal coming from the rear. I re-greased the bushings and it seems lessened, but I can't duplicate it and I'm wondering if about 10 months after installation if the bushings are having problems (I did let them go un-re-greased for about 4 months during a PA winter....ouch).

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
Would I be able to use a 20.5 mm bushing, then? Something like an Energy Suspension 9.5107R (http://www.energysuspension.com/search-result-details.html?id=2357&make=&year=&model=&partNumSearch=9.5107R)? I tried calling ES and they said they don't have any recommendation. And I can't find anything online that's recommended for the stock sway bar. So frustrating!

Archived