LegacyGT.com

Stock or Cobb Stage 1 1.18 to prevent another ring failure?

I have a 2005 LGT5EAT. I drive a lot of miles (about 30,000 / year), and have 120,000 on it now. I was at stage 1 from 30k until just recently. Last summer, I started using oil, and thought it was a bad turbo. Turned out to be a bad ring, so I just had the engine rebuilt. I went back to stock for break-in, but my question is what I should run from now on.

I'd like to keep my car for another 180k, so I want to know what will work best. Christian at Cobb sent me stage 1 1.18 (to help with timing issues to keep this from happening again) for my v1 AccessPort. I can only get the benefits of the changed timing if I go to stage 1, but that runs more boost. Am I best running stock with the "faulty" timing issue, or stage 1 with more boost, but fixed timing?

Thanks guys!

IMO runnning stage 1 with the correct timing is the only option.

Key words "correct timing".

I have been at stage 1 since Dec 04, I have just over 100,000 miles at stage 1 93 octane. Six weeks ago I met up with Mike of Tuning Alliance and he reflashed me to his version of 1.18 and he played with the boost pill and I'm pulling 16.5psi now. Went for a test drive while he datalogged and made adjustments. Best $75.00 I have ever spent.

He can send you the maps. Or depending on where you live, he's in W.Springfield MA.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sounds like the benefit of the timing fix outweighs the increased boost to me. Interested in what others have to say on this though.

Actually, I only get the timing fix if I go to stage 1 (AND have increased boost). I either stay completely stock, or have extra boost and the fixed timing. I love the power, but I just don't want to have to rebuild the engine again.

IMO runnning stage 1 with the correct timing is the only option.

Key words "correct timing".

I have been at stage 1 since Dec 04, I have just over 100,000 miles at stage 1 93 octane. Six weeks ago I met up with Mike of Tuning Alliance and he reflashed me to his version of 1.18 and he played with the boost pill and I'm pulling 16.5psi now. Went for a test drive while he datalogged and made adjustments. Best $75.00 I have ever spent.

He can send you the maps. Or depending on where you live, he's in W.Springfield MA.

So you think that Mike's tune is better performing / better for engine longevity than a Cobb? I really don't want to spend even more money, but if it's well worth it, then who can argue?

Actually, I only get the timing fix if I go to stage 1 (AND have increased boost). I either stay completely stock, or have extra boost and the fixed timing. I love the power, but I just don't want to have to rebuild the engine again.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The benefit of proper timing outweighs the "downside" of the increased boost that comes with it.

^^what he said.

But I thought I said that too. Correct timing is very important to the engines life.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94247

You can tell Mike the guy from Somers CT sent you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Also - boost is only coming up with your foot to the floor. If you drive that much I imagine it is alot of highway crusiing - not much boost at speed. Go 1.18 and keep the foot off the floor and you are good to go.

I just went V1 stage 1 - how can I get the 1.18 map? I downloaded the most current and I thought it was 1.17? Do I have to call Cobb or is there another way to get?

Christian from Cobb found a way to fit the 1.18 stage 1 (but not 2) onto the v1 AccessPort. PM me if you want it - I haven't used it yet, so I'm not positive it works.

Ok, so the consensus sounds like I should go with fixed timing.....any thoughts on TA vs. Cobb? Engine life is most important to me, not performance. Man, that makes me feel old to say.

Will I should say, mine really isn't 1.18

It's a real time map that Mike made up to fix the timing problems.

I will need to reflash everytime I disconect the battery. That is the one problem going this way with version 1 of AP.

I called Christian and left a message. I am wondering if they were able to make the Stage 1 93 Octane work for the AP1. I will let you know if I hear back from him. always better to be safe on the tuning side.

Speertp - got your 1.18 map thanks - he didn't happen to make a 93 one for you as well did he?

I called Christian and left a message. I am wondering if they were able to make the Stage 1 93 Octane work for the AP1. I will let you know if I hear back from him. always better to be safe on the tuning side.

QUOTE]

I believe the answer will be no. it's only for AP2. I believe it say's that on Cobb's site.

That's why I got a hold of Mike, of Tuning Alliance.

i tried to upload the map and it wouldn't work. Christian did not call back so i am thinking bust. oh well, hope 1.17 is good enough

Where in NY are you ?

Contact Tuning Alliance in W. Springfield MA. He can send you his version of 1.18 for AP1. I met up with him and he did it for me.

If you dont mind my asking, how much was the engine rebuild? I might be looking at having to replace my pistons due to cracked piston rings.

Also, if the COBB maps were attributing to the cracked rings (if I'm understanding the situation correctly) are they offering anything to people with cracked rings? I wouldnt figure so, but never hurts to ask right, lol

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

If you dont mind my asking, how much was the engine rebuild? I might be looking at having to replace my pistons due to cracked piston rings.

Also, if the COBB maps were attributing to the cracked rings (if I'm understanding the situation correctly) are they offering anything to people with cracked rings? I wouldnt figure so, but never hurts to ask right, lol

Nice try, I would highly doubt it. There are lots of us that are fine. Sorry.

I would guess if your dropping your off car having someone rebuild the engine and all you do is pick it up running and tuned I'd guess $5000.00 oh you should install a new clutch kit too. There's $500.00

Or can you do the R&R yourself. We need more info ?

May be start a new thread ?

I had Import Doctors (in Fort Wayne, IN) do it. They're Subaru master techs that left the dealership a while back. They charged me $1600 to pull the engine, strip it, do their work and reinstall it. They also had a machine shop look at the block. I had a bad piston, but the block was in good shape (IIRC). All in all, the rebuild itself was about $2700. I had a torn CV boot that they found, but that wasn't too much money. After the build, I also had a bad mass air flow sensor, and they only charged me for the part istself. It ran really rough for the few months before I rebuilt, and I thought it was caused by the low compression in # 2. When I got the car back, it was still rough. They found the bad sensor, replaced it, and the car runs great. All the internals are stock....I just couldn't pay extra for forged pistons all around. All in all, I'm very happy with them.

As far as Cobb contributing to the cracked rings, I don't they're to blame one bit. From what I understand, the issue started at the factory on the 05 and 06 models. Cobb just took those timing numbers and left them intact on their maps. Makes sense to me - you'd expect the factory to get the timing right.....

I recommend everyone that has a failure on cylinder 2 or 4 (even if you are tuned) to call SOA and tell them. Even if you're out of warranty. We need to let them know that the Subaru lovers are mad as hell that we're shelling out this kind of money for their mistake. My dad gives me all kinds of crap for buying a "reliable" foreign car. :mad:

This is my first Sub and I love it, but I don't know if I can justify this kind of cost....maybe my next car won't be a Subaru.

Archived