LegacyGT.com

Pimp my Wagon

since he's into computers why not just get him a tactrix cable so he can learn how to tune for optimal MPGs himself.

also HIDs would be nice (retro or plug & play kit) and other interior lighting options would be good since you're not going the performance route.

i would say the jdm rear sway bar, it does balance the car out pretty nice and IMO makes it a little easier driving in snow/slippery conditions.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VF52 Turbo ~$1025

740cc DW injectors ~300 w/ trade

Walboro Fuel Pump ~100

SPT Catback - not loud, sounds very classy ~$1000

Fred Beans Stg II brake kit $645

Tune and labor, should still get you in under $4K

yep, like Phil said, real driving school.

Who are you fixing the car up for, you or him ?

He's 16, give him time to make up is mind on what he wants.

Save the money for other things.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

haha glad I'm still in touch...

+10000 for a day or weekend at race school though. Best money you'll ever spend. Seriously.

I'll check it out. Don't know if such a school exists in the spokane area. Thanks

yep, like Phil said, real driving school.

Who are you fixing the car up for, you or him ?

He's 16, give him time to make up is mind on what he wants.

Save the money for other things.

Well..I do occasionally drive it...;)

My son's kind of giving up his summer to help others. I'm sure he'll have plenty of fun while he's at it but I think some tasteful mods would make him the happiest as he cruises to school in Sept. Want to leave the keys at the airport for him so he'll get a great suprise when finds it in the lot.

16yo in a LGT? Unless he is an extraordinarily responsible slow teen driver (freak of nature) then I wouldn't upgrade at all...except maybe brakes. I totaled four cars between the ages of 16 and 21. You should have him drive a Chevy Lumina for two years and then give him the Leggy. Coming from a 23 old, I don't foresee a happy ending.

16yo in a LGT? Unless he is an extraordinarily responsible slow teen driver (freak of nature) then I wouldn't upgrade at all...except maybe brakes. I totaled four cars between the ages of 16 and 21. You should have him drive a Chevy Lumina for two years and then give him the Leggy. Coming from a 23 old, I don't foresee a happy ending.

I totaled 2. Touche. Edit: one was a Subaru.

He says his kid is a really good, conservative driver, and it's his money and car. The extra confidence alone from having a trick car in high school can do wonders with the superficial, dilusional, experimenting girls in that environment. I say this is the best investment ever :cool:

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Cat back exhaust

Brakes

Absolutely no performance modifications

If there's money left over, wheels and perhaps tires

In my opinion the best option would be lesser of a car for a 16 yr old. My son was 17 when he got his first vehicle, a 1998 blazer. That was 2 yrs ago, and he's still happy with it. He is also one of those 'wise beyond his years' young men.

A beater of a car for a new driver is a good rule of thumb. It's going to get bumped, scratched, run into, his friends will be sitting on the (aluminum, easily bendable) hood, etc etc etc.

Surely you remember being 16? :)

Simply my $0.02 worth.

Cat back exhaust

Brakes

Absolutely no performance modifications

If there's money left over, wheels and perhaps tires

In my opinion the best option would be lesser of a car for a 16 yr old. My son was 17 when he got his first vehicle, a 1998 blazer. That was 2 yrs ago, and he's still happy with it. He is also one of those 'wise beyond his years' young men.

A beater of a car for a new driver is a good rule of thumb. It's going to get bumped, scratched, run into, his friends will be sitting on the (aluminum, easily bendable) hood, etc etc etc.

Surely you remember being 16? :)

Simply my $0.02 worth.

His friends put 2 tiny dents on the roof removing their snowboards. Did a walk-around with him at that point and noted all scratches/dents. He's responsible for future damage. My first set of wheels was a junked bug. I remember being 16 and would of killed for this car back then! I like the fact that this car is safe and reliable. Not doing any go fast mods other than catback and K&N. Going to keep tint to minimun so he can see out at nite.

I would suggest the AccessPort as well... gives him the option to get more out of his car later should he want it. Plus, a good custom tune after your other mods might net him AMAZING MPG results...

I have upgraded the brakes on my wagon as well and would recommend that too... Braided lines, Hawk pads, maybe rotors, and good fluid flush.

Suspension will be a fairly inexpensive mod and will help in the overall driving experience. Coilovers might be a little much unless you go with something fairly soft without a lot of adjustability. I suggest a good Rear Swaybar with brackets and a whiteline roll center kit to go with the drop no matter what.

Just my .02...

In order

Driver improvements -- find something here: http://spokanecountyraceway.com/. Auto-x is great too.

Tires!!!

Pads+fluid (if tracking, I like carbotech XP-10)

Suspension (coilovers+sways+LCA brushings) Don't do cheap coilovers. Either get nice coilovers (I love my racecomps) or just something like bilstiens or konis.

Accessport

DP/UP

Other stuff

Wheels unless super lightweight (or need snows)

I didn't follow this exactly, but I should have. The power stuff is probably too much for a 16 year old, the LGt stock probably has too much power for a 16 year old. Handling, however, is good for all. And tires>anything but driver.

Why does everyone recommend brakes? Beyond pads and fluid there really isn't that much to replace. Fade wise the OEM calipers are more than enough for anything but wheel to wheel racing with track pads. For street use you're not going to see any increase in safety. The OEM brakes are more than strong enough on anything except maybe r-comps.

He also needs to learn what lift off-oversteer is and how to deal with it. First time a 16 year old driver really get some, he's going sideways if he doesn't know what is happening.

In order

Driver improvements -- find something here: http://spokanecountyraceway.com/. Auto-x is great too.

Tires!!!

Pads+fluid (if tracking, I like carbotech XP-10)

Suspension (coilovers+sways+LCA brushings) Don't do cheap coilovers. Either get nice coilovers (I love my racecomps) or just something like bilstiens or konis.

Accessport

DP/UP

Other stuff

Wheels unless super lightweight (or need snows)

I didn't follow this exactly, but I should have. The power stuff is probably too much for a 16 year old, the LGt stock probably has too much power for a 16 year old. Handling, however, is good for all. And tires>anything but driver.

Why does everyone recommend brakes? Beyond pads and fluid there really isn't that much to replace. Fade wise the OEM calipers are more than enough for anything but wheel to wheel racing with track pads. For street use you're not going to see any increase in safety. The OEM brakes are more than strong enough on anything except maybe r-comps.

He also needs to learn what lift off-oversteer is and how to deal with it. First time a 16 year old driver really get some, he's going sideways if he doesn't know what is happening.

Thanks for the link. I'll see if I can get him out on a track. He won't be back from the Maldives until the end of Aug. Was thinking of adding sway bars which can apparently cause more oversteer. We've played around in snowy/icy parking lots so he kinda knows how to get it back in a slide.

Ordered-Rota SDR 17x7.5 in Gunmetal

Bilstein Spec B type struts w/spec b tophats

Hawk brake pads

HKS silent hi power catback

Car is in shop for fender ding and door ding repairs and front bumper respray

35% ceramic tint scheduled.

3959.00 before labor for struts and exhaust install so slightly over 4k budget.:)

Ordered-Rota SDR 17x7.5 in Gunmetal

Bilstein Spec B type struts w/spec b tophats

Hawk brake pads

HKS silent hi power catback

Car is in shop for fender ding and door ding repairs and front bumper respray

35% ceramic tint scheduled.

3959.00 before labor for struts and exhaust install so slightly over 4k budget.:)

I am so jealous. :)

I mean I have some of these mods, but the fact your a father that would buy all this stuff for their kid...wow

I totaled 2. Touche. Edit: one was a Subaru.

He says his kid is a really good, conservative driver, and it's his money and car. The extra confidence alone from having a trick car in high school can do wonders with the superficial, dilusional, experimenting girls in that environment. I say this is the best investment ever :cool:

:whore:

Oh, and Dad of the Year Award from me too! :)

Yeah I have to add...you are one cool dad. Wow...and to spend the summer in the Maldives? Then come back home to a pimped out wagon courtesy of dad?

That's like the coolest thing ever a dad can do.

The only car I ever totaled was a VW.

KW variant 2 coilovers

big brake kit.

catback (for the ladies).

driving school driving school driving school

Yeah, cause the ladies LOVE the droning of an aftermarket exhaust in a wagon.

"Yeah I have to add...you are one cool dad. Wow...and to spend the summer in the Maldives? Then come back home to a pimped out wagon courtesy of dad?"

He's actually having to work while he's there. Working with Maldivian high school students taking an advanced computer IT class. He's making sure their syllabus is covered and helping with the language differences. Class is through Cambridge University. Kids in the class all speak english. He is the sole caucasian on his island(Hithadhoo). Not a resort island as the locals don't mix with tourists. 26 main islands with over 1,000 islets.

Archived