LegacyGT.com

Review: Bilstein HD's/Pinks and JDM 20mm Rear Sway

snow05gtRI

brackets seem fine. the bushings look like the stock ones, as i'm using the stock JDM bar and the bushings that came with it (black rubber). i never greased them at all. i think there might be a little squeak when going over uneven surfaces (say going over a speed bump on angle, or entering a sloped driveway on angle) but in normal driving i hear nothing.

Thanks. I was going to go with a Whiteline F/R set, buti I'm starting to think that it's overkill for me and might go with a JDM bar instead. The stock rubber bushings seems like the way to go for no/low maintenance.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes i am. very much so. summer time (plus summer tires Dunlop Dirrezza Sport Z1 Star Spec or whatever the name is) was so much fun. the car sticks to the road and handled nicely even in adverse situations. i almost feel it helped me in a few cases.

back on winter tires now. hasn't seemed to effect winter driving, even being lowered with a lip. i havent been up north during a big storm yet, though. the thought has crossed my mind once or twice about coilovers, but i really dont see a need for them the way i drive my car.

i will say that after about 6months on the setup i noticed a change in the ride height from when i first installed. took some time for it to settle completely. i'll try to get some pictures for a fully broken in setup.

Cool, good to know. I hope to have my set up on whenever it gets warm again. More pics would be sweet.

How is it on bumpy, choppy roads?

brackets seem fine. the bushings look like the stock ones, as i'm using the stock JDM bar and the bushings that came with it (black rubber). i never greased them at all. i think there might be a little squeak when going over uneven surfaces (say going over a speed bump on angle, or entering a sloped driveway on angle) but in normal driving i hear nothing.

I greased poly bushings that came with JDM RSB with grease that I got with SS poly bushings. Figured it won't hurt, no squeaks so far.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

How is it on bumpy, choppy roads?

sorry, missed this last one.

it can be a little harsh on roads that are littered with frost heaves or large cracks, but you still feel planted. the bumps are just more noticeable. versus with the stock suspension you feel all the bumps and the car feels like it's floating out of control.

btw, i'm not sure if you purchased it already, but i would go with the 3/8" saggy butt spacer at least. now that i'm fully settled, when the car has a full gas tank it is SLIGHTLY uneven. not drastic, but noticeable to ME. would get lower if it was a full tank of gas + people + luggage...

USDM RSB is smaller, only 15mm or 16mm, where the JDM is 20mm ...but the USDM is MUCH heavier.

I stand corrected on the diameter in my previous post. On weight, I think JDM RSB is tubular while USDM is solid. Otherwise, I can't explain such big weight difference between the two.

sorry, missed this last one.

it can be a little harsh on roads that are littered with frost heaves or large cracks, but you still feel planted. the bumps are just more noticeable. versus with the stock suspension you feel all the bumps and the car feels like it's floating out of control.

btw, i'm not sure if you purchased it already, but i would go with the 3/8" saggy butt spacer at least. now that i'm fully settled, when the car has a full gas tank it is SLIGHTLY uneven. not drastic, but noticeable to ME. would get lower if it was a full tank of gas + people + luggage...

Cool, thanks. I actually have a set of wagon pinks that I'll be putting on, so I'm not too worried about saggy butt.

Another question, did you have to compress the front springs a lot to get the dust shield and top hat to sit properly? I've been messing around with mine a bit and it seems my front springs are too tall uncompressed to fit both the dust shield and top hat on.

good call on the wagon pinks, they will probably ride nicely.

i'm not sure if you read it in another thread, but do NOT use the dome-shaped washer that would normally sit under the stock LGT suspension top hat. the bilsteins are designed to not need that washer. they have a bearing instead. with that washer in place the top hat is unstable on the strut. but if you remove the washer it seats nicely. oh and DONT use air tools when tightening down the struts to the body in the engine bay...found this out from experience haha...

Paul (GTTuner) did my install, but i was there. I dont remember any excessive compression needed, it was done by hand. he might know better, and i'm sure would be glad to answer if you PM'd him.

good call on the wagon pinks, they will probably ride nicely.

i'm not sure if you read it in another thread, but do NOT use the dome-shaped washer that would normally sit under the stock LGT suspension top hat. the bilsteins are designed to not need that washer. they have a bearing instead. with that washer in place the top hat is unstable on the strut. but if you remove the washer it seats nicely. oh and DONT use air tools when tightening down the struts to the body in the engine bay...found this out from experience haha...

Paul (GTTuner) did my install, but i was there. I dont remember any excessive compression needed, it was done by hand. he might know better, and i'm sure would be glad to answer if you PM'd him.

Just took a quick pic of what I'm referring to:

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/9523/tophats.jpg

top left is the dust shield I was referring to, and the bottom two on the left are the two pieces that make up the dust shield. Are you saying not to use that metal dome part, but just use the rubber part in between the springs and tophats?

no, sorry to mis-communicate that. did you buy the kit from FBP? there is a washer that would normally rest under the piece all the way the right with the 3 studs in it, it is a dome shaped washer, the same size as the hole in the center of that piece. it used to come with the FBP kit but i'm not sure if he stopped including it after being told it isn't necessary.

what you have should fit.

you can get it on without spring compressor, but you'll have to push down and assemble it at the same time.. Rent one at Autozone for free ; just watch it when compressing/uncompressing the springs - you may have to move it around a bit to get it on and off easily. Make sure spring tips end up in proper place on spring seats too.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

no - would have to take the whole strut apart to put the rest of the bump stop back on.

finally, more pictures....got new wheels so i got some shots. they are 17x7.5 Rota Battles

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_j_o5shsPsEQ/TASR0vnerlI/AAAAAAAAChc/8dB-Jx1u370/s640/IMG_1310.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_j_o5shsPsEQ/TASRsijsN-I/AAAAAAAAChE/PHOzVHp1qa4/s640/IMG_1302_edit.JPG

God, I want this setup so badly...

How many miles have you put on them now? And do you think you'll rub if you went 8-9 inches wide?

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

probably put 15-20k miles on the setup, been on there for a bit over a year, and i still love the feel over stock. it has softened somewhat, but still a great ride.

might get some rubbing if you put wheels on there bigger than 8" wide.

God, I want this setup so badly...

How many miles have you put on them now? And do you think you'll rub if you went 8-9 inches wide?

There's a group buy going on for pink springs in the GB forum if you're interested.

Cool, thanks. I actually have a set of wagon pinks that I'll be putting on, so I'm not too worried about saggy butt.

I'm trying to decide whether I should get wagon or spec.B springs with the stock spec.B (Rev C) struts. How are the wagon springs working for you?

There's a group buy going on for pink springs in the GB forum if you're interested.

I'm trying to decide whether I should get wagon or spec.B springs with the stock spec.B (Rev C) struts. How are the wagon springs working for you?

Still have yet to install unfortunately :redface: This month I hope, but first am installing an new catback and an OB hitch. Will post up some pics/driving impressions once on.

Finally got there. Good to see and the car looks great with the Pinks. ;)

I didn't initially install the AVO RSB braces, but realized with the increased stiffness, that I was getting some flex in the RSB mounts. The AVO bits tightened that up and added a bit more stability and more of a trend toward oversteer - in a good way.:)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I didn't initially install the AVO RSB braces, but realized with the increased stiffness, that I was getting some flex in the RSB mounts. The AVO bits tightened that up and added a bit more stability and more of a trend toward oversteer - in a good way.:)

Interesting. I didn't have any problems with stock braces, but I installed poly bushings with JDM RSB. Do AVO braces come with aftermarket bushings ?

^The JDM RSB came with the poly bushes, although you could source those separately, either from AVO or another supplier.

I added the RSB mount braces several months after I did the initial RSB install. Significant improvement in my view.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived