LegacyGT.com

3rd Gear Destroyed

j255c

dunno man, my transmission fluid is still green and at the full mark. Im baffled, but i do know that 3rd gear is completley fucked. I have not had good luck with this car let me tell u.

I can only imagine how upset you are. How many miles on that gearbox?

No disrespect intended, but at 380whp I would be gritting my teeth everytime I got into the throttle.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These people claiming the gears can hold gt35s "axles" will break first bs. It was around 380wh Im guessing. never got on dyno with everything dialed in. I will tell you it was pulling over 400gs on the maf scaled almost perfectly with the pol table.

qikslvr is still on the stock transmission AND clutch and he's pushing similar numbers. Despite the fact that he's got a chipped 1st gear, tranny is holding up fine. I wouldn't call BS on the forum or info you've read up, just know that nothing is set in stone. It might be that your tranny was already suffering of a manufacturing defect or other flaw/fluke and the turbo exacerbated it and eventually killed it.

edmundu's car was easily 360 whp and the tranny was holding up just fine...

I think your mishap is bit of a fluke. Anyway it seems it's the consensus the tranny will hold up easy up to 350 whp, then 350-400 whp is bit of a roll of dice, above 400 whp is hello new gears...

Green transmission fluid? Never seen such a thing. :confused:

Yellowish brown, looked at i with blue led flashlight. Pulling transmission now.

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

qikslvr is still on the stock transmission AND clutch and he's pushing similar numbers. Despite the fact that he's got a chipped 1st gear, tranny is holding up fine. I wouldn't call BS on the forum or info you've read up, just know that nothing is set in stone. It might be that your tranny was already suffering of a manufacturing defect or other flaw/fluke and the turbo exacerbated it and eventually killed it.

And sorry theres no way the stock clutch is holding >330whp. Atleast not for long.

And sorry theres no way the stock clutch is holding >330whp. Atleast not for long.

edmundu had > 90k on his LGT on the original clutch still holding strong... 350whp for at least half the miles....

But I agree it was exception, not the rule...

qikslvr is not on the stock clutch...he's running a spec stg 2 and lwfw

also his 20g hasn't been on for too long and I think his car is making around 340 whp IIRC

stuck at about step 20 on the vacation pics of transmission removal. Drained the plug however had a few half penny sized chunks of metal gear.

ball joint are seized, cant rotate the hubs enough to completely pull out the axles, going to need to rent an impact wrench me thinks. Subaru +1 Jeff -1 for the night.

If anyone's got any tips to remove front axles would appreciate it for tomorrow. Thanks gnight.

Insert prybar, ideally two between transmission case and the axle. Just don't get too medieval on it to not break anything. The axle should pop out.

Heres what i got for pictures: a lot more to come tomorrow.

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=fd0a4ce7ed&view=att&th=12180279fda2552e&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=fd0a4ce7ed&view=att&th=1218027e1f651374&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

photo.jpg.dff38825146a303936bd7ba71201b1ff.jpg

photo(2).thumb.jpg.ae671aa689ddb039cd191b4f405f9e57.jpg

Are LGT transmissions really that weak? I come from the honda world, a wimpy little stock d-series transmission could hold 400whp consistantly...

Couldnt tell you, i think it has to do moreso with the fact that hondas front wheels will spin if overpowered, wheras in this if you're running a 6 puck clutch nothing will slip and all the power will be placed to the gear. In which case mine died.

Archived