LegacyGT.com

3rd Gear Destroyed

j255c

Fine :rolleyes: No, they are mush. The engine mounts is a no brainer mod in my mind. Zero penalty, benefits only. Fairly easy to install as well.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
j255c, you seem to be having about as much luck with your LGT as Groff's had with his......Good luck getting everything straightened out. I know it can be a major hassle.....:spin:

j255c, you seem to be having about as much luck with your LGT as Groff's had with his......Good luck getting everything straightened out. I know it can be a major hassle.....:spin:

Groff still has his to my knowledge. I don't think he blew up his 5spd though.

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Groff still has his to my knowledge. I don't think he blew up his 5spd though.

As far as I know, he still has it...He didn't blow up his 5spd, just his engine....:rolleyes: I'm pretty sure the 5spd was on its way out though before it got replaced with the 6spd.

Ahh i know your pain j255c and i was still on stock turbo! This is what i found when i split my case after my 2nd gear blew! I ended up rebuliding it myself with stock parts since it was the cheapest way to go for me at the time. If you decide to rebulid it yourself feel free pm me with any questions! Here is all the pictures!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99749&highlight=send+link&page=3

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/kevkel50/tranny.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/kevkel50/DSC01560.jpg

How much the gears cost? I'm going to rebuild 3rd gear and run this thing without meth for a while.

Hey 2ND gear retails for a little over $100. I remember 1st gear being more money then 2ND was. cant remember 3RD or 4TH but around that range. I wouldn't say more then $200 for the main gears. What really concerns me is the counter gear that 3rd rides on. Here is a pic of what I'm talking about.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/kevkel50/showing.jpg

What is circled and labeled "A" is 3rd gear itself. What is labeled as "B" is what 3rd gear rides. That is a casted piece with two gears on it. You CAN NOT just replace one of those gears that whole casted "sleeve" needs to be replaced. Most likely if 3rd is destroyed there will be a good amount of damage on the driven gear. From the dealer that's prob going to cost you. MY guess like $250 maby alot more. Let alone there could be damage to the syncro itself which is pricey as well. Also if you drove it at all you can expect to find more damage on other gears that normally would not be affected. Inless your rebuilding it yourself it might be cheaper and less down time to find a used box. I remember seeing someone selling one of the forum for $1K and once you get it you can just throw it in yourself.

Hey 2ND gear retails for a little over $100. I remember 1st gear being more money then 2ND was. cant remember 3RD or 4TH but around that range. I wouldn't say more then $200 for the main gears. What really concerns me is the counter gear that 3rd rides on. Here is a pic of what I'm talking about.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/kevkel50/showing.jpg

What is circled and labeled "A" is 3rd gear itself. What is labeled as "B" is what 3rd gear rides. That is a casted piece with two gears on it. You CAN NOT just replace one of those gears that whole casted "sleeve" needs to be replaced. Most likely if 3rd is destroyed there will be a good amount of damage on the driven gear. From the dealer that's prob going to cost you. MY guess like $250 maby alot more. Let alone there could be damage to the syncro itself which is pricey as well. Also if you drove it at all you can expect to find more damage on other gears that normally would not be affected. Inless your rebuilding it yourself it might be cheaper and less down time to find a used box. I remember seeing someone selling one of the forum for $1K and once you get it you can just throw it in yourself.

Yeah found some fairly priced used ones in ct/ri going to snag one up tomorrow turn off the meth/turn down the boost and try to keep it on the road for the summer.

Sounds like the best cost effective option. We should still open up your case anyways to see...

Yeah the ppgs were stupidly expensive, and sti swap was also out of the question. Not to mention I already have a supporting clutch for high levels of power for the 5spd, proll what killed it :rolleyes:. Really want to get a bike this summer :)

Did you price a full PPG set or just maybe 1, 2, and 3?

when you do ppgs 1 and 2 you have to buy together as well as 3-4. Quote for the entire box was around 4k. Also he mentioned redoing the synchros (using oem parts) $600, and possibly upgrading the shifter to a billet steel unit ($ dont remember exact amount). All the while still retaining the stock center and front diffs and transfer case.

when you do ppgs 1 and 2 you have to buy together as well as 3-4. Quote for the entire box was around 4k. Also he mentioned redoing the synchros (using oem parts) $600, and possibly upgrading the shifter to a billet steel unit ($ dont remember exact amount). All the while still retaining the stock center and front diffs and transfer case.

I think you and I are living similar lives. I've replaced every part of my car except the rear axels(knock on wood). Recently rebuilt the trans w/ PPG 1 and 2, then 3 weeks later new front axels and the center diff went. I get the car back tomorrow with that fixed. I upgraded the shifter and trans bushings along the way. I know the it's not worth it and it's a money pit, etc. feeling you're having, But FWIW the PPG's are so sweet(not as sweet as the 6mt?). I do regret not getting 3 and 4 too, but I was trying to keep the cost down. I'm going back to vintage american muscle after I'm done with this car. But, the plain/simple truth is, when you're making that kind of power you are bound to break something. Hang in there man. Maybe some of the good luck these other guy's are having will rub off on us some day soon.

I think you and I are living similar lives. I've replaced every part of my car except the rear axels(knock on wood). Recently rebuilt the trans w/ PPG 1 and 2, then 3 weeks later new front axels and the center diff went. I get the car back tomorrow with that fixed. I upgraded the shifter and trans bushings along the way. I know the it's not worth it and it's a money pit, etc. feeling you're having, But FWIW the PPG's are so sweet(not as sweet as the 6mt?). I do regret not getting 3 and 4 too, but I was trying to keep the cost down. I'm going back to vintage american muscle after I'm done with this car. But, the plain/simple truth is, when you're making that kind of power you are bound to break something. Hang in there man. Maybe some of the good luck these other guy's are having will rub off on us some day soon.

Thanks. We'll see. What do you have as far as mods go?

Reserved for pics: Cracking open case this weekend.

On a side note, had to use the old shift fork for some reason because the used transmissions fork was bent or something and the entire linkage was shifted to the right. Weird. Also installed group n transmission mount, hell of a lot better.

Reserved for pics: Cracking open case this weekend.

On a side note, had to use the old shift fork for some reason because the used transmissions fork was bent or something and the entire linkage was shifted to the right. Weird. Also installed group n transmission mount, hell of a lot better.

I bet your stock tranny mount was about as mushy as mine was.

Archived