LegacyGT.com

MPG on recent trip

Hey all,

Decided to do a little experiment yesterday since I haven't checked my LGT's highway mileage in a long time, or compared it against the trip computer.

I drove myself and 2 passengers (and some luggage) from New London CT to West Chester PA last night. It was ~55 degrees out, 241 miles total. I cruised at 75-80mph almost non-stop on the highways, and made only a few trips. I did plenty of WOT in sport sharp on the highway when merging, or when needing to pass.

My trip computer reported 26.7 mpg at the end of the trip. I filled up filling up after 241 miles and added 9.1 gallons of fuel to top off.....or 26.5 mpg.

I'm pretty darn pleased with that, considering my driving style.

If you are a more conservative driver (read: 65-70mph) or had a better tune than our stock setup, I could definitely see getting 28-29mpg highway on this car :)

Joe

P.s. I noticed my 5th gear gets substantial syncro whine when shifting into it when I'm in 4th at anything over 3200 rpms....4th at 4000 rpms makes ALOT of syncro whine. Never noticed that before.

P.p.s. AVO Panel filter w/ 15k miles on it since it was cleaned. Newish Rotella T 5w40 synthetic oil. OEM tires at ~38 front/36 rear.

Nice. I wonder what my MPG will be going from Toledo, OH to McAllen, TX in December. I'm thinking with the winter blend gas I'll be lucky to see 25 MPG on the 25 hour drive. I'm debating taking the Honda Accord but that just won't be fun...

Just went Stage II with Cobbs OTS map and have seen an increase in my overall gas mileage.

300 miles and trip is reading 25.5mpg. ~220 of that is highway miles (55-80mph through Chicago road construction and around bad Wisconsin drivers) and the rest is me beating on it enjoying Stage II. Not too shabby if you ask me.

I just went on a trip of 2200 miles cross country to pick up my '09 LGT. Computer is reporting 24.0 MPG. Probably averaged 65-70 MPH for the trip, mostly in Intelligent but in S# on occasion, mostly after leaving toll booths. Opened it up over 100 MPH on empty stretches, but only a few times and for very short durations.

I kept all my gas receipts and will be interested to do the calculation to compare to the computer's MPG rating.

I believe I averaged 26-27 on my trip from San Francisco To L.A. Most of it was flat highway. On my daily commute mainly at sports sharp, 20 miles each way, I get around 21. Of course I have at least a mile or 2 of steep highway hills and city hills.

P.s. I noticed my 5th gear gets substantial syncro whine when shifting into it when I'm in 4th at anything over 3200 rpms....4th at 4000 rpms makes ALOT of syncro whine. Never noticed that before.

you have cobb 5mt sts right?

Correct. I'm also running 75w110 AMSOIL Severe Gear in the front, which DRAMATICALLY decreased all syncro noise when I put it in about 10k miles ago. I get no noise in any other gear, and I've always felt 5th was tougher to shift into (have to move to neutral, move to right, and then up). But never noticed that above 3000 rpms going from 4th that I hear a good amount of syncro whine going into 5th.

I know this is probably wrong, but I always associate syncro whine with shorter syncro life.

I also have the cobb sts, and most of the time I hear the same whine that you are having from 4th to 5th, or just by placing the shifter on the left or right while still moving above 30mph.

Last night, I switch back the oem shifter because I have to go to a dealership(no BS stuff, you know what I mean) and I did not hear any whine while shifting from 4th to 5th. I might keep the oem that for now because of the less notchy feeling while shifting. I'll give it a month.

Archived