LegacyGT.com

95 legacy transmission fluid

I have a 95 Subaru Legacy, 2.2l. My car is manual and im not sure what tranny fluid to use because i just checked the dip stick and its low, oh and how do i check if my car is FWD, or AWD, is there a certain number on the vin that indicate it?

Peter

gear oil is 75w90.

Don't know VIN codes, but look under car.

If you see two transfer boxes, then its awd.

You can also put it stands. start, and engage. If F & R turn, well you get the idea,

O.

Technicly manual trannies don't use tranny "fluid" (Most of the time). Generally they use gear oil... 75W90 is correct. You could use oil that's one step heavier, or one step lighter depending on the climate you live in, but you can't go wrong sticking to the owners manual specifications.

Some manual transmissions use ATF as lubricant, but from what I've heard ATF is rather corrossive in a non sealed environment (Such as some manual transmissions). Gear oil is much heavier, and tends to stick to the geartrain in the transmission and provide constant lubrication. ATF is so light compared to gear oil that it will actually seeep out of the output shaft/CV shaft seals pretty much overnight. I learned this first hand when I accidentally put Dexron IV in my differential the other day..... ;) Went out the next day to drain the diff and fill the tranny and about a quart had already leaked out of the seals for the CV shafts. Gear oil will not leak out as it cannot penetrate the clearances in the seals.

As far as if your car is FWD, there are three simple ways.

1) Get on the ground under the rear of the vehicle and see if there are driveshafts that come from a differential in the center of the car that go into the hubs right behind the center of the rear wheels. Don't mistaken the lower control arms for the driveshafts. The control arms have rubber bushings on them and bolt onto the bottom of the hub/knuckle. The driveshafts will have rubber boots on the inside and outside of them that give them away. http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/josh/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/dsc04100.JPG This is what the rear will look like on an AWD vehicle. Note the driveshafts in the center of the rear hub This car is a 2008 WRX, but you get the idea...

2) Open the drivers door and check the door jam (The spot where the door weather seal is) and see if the car says FWD or AWD.

3) Check this Subaru VIN guide. Scroll down to Position 11 to see what transmission the car has.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/vin.html

http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/josh/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/dsc04100.JPG This is what the rear will look like on an AWD vehicle. Note the driveshafts in the center of the rear hub This car is a 2008 WRX, but you get the idea...

I was about to say, holy crap that's a clean '95... then I read the part about it being a 08 WRX... haha

The easiest way to tell is to look at the trunk. If it says AWD somewhere. then it is AWD, if it says FWD on the trunk, well then...

Thanks for the input put guys. Did not know manual tranny did take tranny fluids. Got kind of confused when the color was yellow instead of red, haha. Plantinum_Racing, thanks for the awd info as well, my car is awd, been thinking about it the entire time.

Going to get me some oil now

Peter

I'm about to change my transmission fluid this weekend.

I have no clue why I thought the MT transmission took 6.3 Qts

good thing I did not buy it without looking at the manual again..

Dumb question of the day: What's the difference between AWD and FWD? Both technically and operationally. And was it ever an option to go for one or the other in same year/model options list? This coming from a guy who's had FWD trucks, a Jeep (which type of drive I don't recall...), etc. Incidentally, our LGT wagon has an AWD badge on the hatch, so I'm pretty confident I know which one we've got here.:lol:

I had an old '83 GL wagon and a '92 Loyale when I was 16 and both had the FWD/4WD. In all honesty, that 4WD worked VERY well in the snow and mud. When I got my first AWD, I was like "wtf?!" It handled differently but once I got used to it I much prefer it.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Because they had a locked center diff where as AWD has an open center diff.

Unless you have an STi...

Yessir!

It takes 3.5, or something close to that...

EDIT: in the MT. it is a LOT more in the AT.

yeah I forget how much the AT takes but I know I hated bringing all those bottles back..

I remember the day I did not drain my oil pan and decided to go ahead and put the old transmission fluid in.. came really close to overfilling my drain pain :p

I wanted to do my brakes this weekend but I will wait until after I got paid doing this computer job.. So just a oil change and MT fluid change.

MT oil change is a walk in the park. Drain it out, and fill it up. Done.

Fore sure. Almost any time I'm under the car for extended periods of time I do this.

Dumb question of the day: What's the difference between AWD and FWD? Both technically and operationally. And was it ever an option to go for one or the other in same year/model options list? This coming from a guy who's had FWD trucks, a Jeep (which type of drive I don't recall...), etc. Incidentally, our LGT wagon has an AWD badge on the hatch, so I'm pretty confident I know which one we've got here.:lol:

AWD (All-Wheel Drive) means that all 4 tires are powered by the engine/drivetrain pretty much all the time. The transmission either has a transfer case that comes off the rear of the transmission and drives a shaft that feeds a differential under the engine, spinning the front tires. On the rear of the transfer case there is another shaft that feeds another differential between the rear wheels, spinning those as well. In some cases the transfer case has a differential built into it that is either mechanical, or electronic in function. This serves to transfer power to the wheels that need it most. On a Subaru (And some Nissan's that use the Subaru 4EAT transmission) the front driveshafts come straight off the sides of the transmission and into the front wheels, with the rear wheels driven by a conventional rear driveshaft as described above.

This is an image of a transmission with a transfer case to power front and rear differentials. Note the rear U-Joint yoke that powers the rear diff coming straight off the back of the transfer case. The front driveshaft is attached to the transfer case and runs alongside the transmission.

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/gallery/data/500/medium/trans_transfer_case_016.jpg

This is a Subaru transmission. note the outputs on the side of the transmission that power each front wheel. The output on the rear of the transmission powers the rear differential.

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Clearance/TY757VDBAB-2005LEGACY.jpg

FWD (Front Wheel Drive) means that the engine powers a transaxle that only powers the front wheels. The transmission and differential are all one serviceable component. Here is a picture of a transmission/transaxle from a front wheel drive vehicle. Note the large circular opening. This is where the torque converter would attach the transaxle to the engine. The small output shaft slightly underneath and next to the opening for the torque converter is where the front drive shafts attach to the transaxle. This transaxle is for a transversely mounted engine (Engine mounted sideways in the engine bay).

http://www.burtonpower.com/technical_1/techpics/BCgearbox.jpg

4WD (Four Wheel Drive) is a system very similar to AWD, the only difference being that 2 wheels (Either front or rear) are disengaged most of the time. There is a selector/shifter in the interior of the vehicle that engage the either the front or rear wheels when needed. Some vehicles require the driver to get out of the vehicle and "Lock" the front hubs allowing them to take power from the engine (Otherwise the front differential/driveshafts would be powered by the transmission, and not the wheels themselves). Most 4WD vehicles are rear wheel drive, with the front wheels only powered when the 4WD system is engaged.

RWD (Rear Wheel Drive) means that the only wheels driven by the engine are the rear ones. The image below is pretty self explanatory...

http://faq.ford77.ru/trans/image/differential/differential-rwd.gif

I said Front Wheel Drive in my post.

You think he meant FWD as in Four Wheel Drive? That's possible. Either way, now he's gonna know the difference.

AWD is 4WD that is permenantly engaged that is either electronically or mechanically controlled, with variable amounts of torque that can be divided umong the two sets of drive wheels (Front and rear). 4WD is usually a RWD vehicle with a front drivetrain that is disengaged until activated by the driver in low traction conditions. 4WD transaxles (Usually) have a fixed amount of torque split between the two sets of drive wheels (Front and rear). This fixed amount of torque is usually 50% front and 50% rear. Some 4WD vehicles are "Underdriven", meaning that the front axle or differential has a different ratio than the rear so that when 4WD is engaged the front wheels will effectively "Pull" the rear wheels to keep the car from spinning around due to the fixed amount of torque front and rear. This will cause the car to drive unpredictibly on dry pavement, and could cause extreme wear (And/or damage) to the tires/drivetrain. Because of this, 4WD vehicles with underdriven axles should only be driven in 4WD in low traction conditions. AWD vehicles use the same gear ratio in the front and rear differentials to promote good handling and maximum tire/geartrain life on dry surfaces, and generally have a center differential to distribute a higher percentage of engine torque to the wheels with the most traction (Which helps keep the car from spinning like an underdriven 4WD car).

Thanks for the informative post! Gotta admit, though, that after taking in all that info, I was taking FWD to mean 4WD rather than Front Wheel Drive. I guess my application of terms has become a bit too universal in that I considered our old Jeep Grand Cherokee as 4X4, which is how it was badged, but in practice was actually AWD. In my limited experience with Subaru, I thought one of the long-time hallmarks of the brand was that all 4 wheels were driven, and so assumed FWD meant 4WD. As for our old Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4X4 was equalivalent to AWD, but at the same time my Dakota, 4X4 means 4WD. And in case you're wondering, yes, I'm stone cold sober typing this...:icon_bigg

I know what you mean. Yeah, different companies often use different terminology for the same things. Honda VTEC and Mitsubishi MIVEC are perfect examples of two different ways of saying variable valve management, which alter the lift, timing, and duration of the valves by using alternate cam lobes that have the ability to activate/deactivate with engine speed. (Although both MIVEC and VTEC are trademarked names for similar technologies).

Unfortunately not all Subaru's are AWD, mine is front wheel drive. The one thing they all have in common is longitudinally mounted horizontally opposed engines that we've all come to know and love. :)

If you have a Manual tranny and are able to check the tranny fluid. DO NOT AT FLUID. that is not the tranny. that is the "front diff". In Subaru AWD cars it goes Engine + Front Diff +Tranny + rear.

What you are actually checking in a manual is the front diff which requires different oil.

a lot of people not familiar with Subarus do not realize that what resides behind the engine is not the tranny.

Archived