LegacyGT.com

95 legacy transmission fluid

If you have a Manual tranny and are able to check the tranny fluid. DO NOT AT FLUID. that is not the tranny. that is the "front diff". In Subaru AWD cars it goes Engine + Front Diff +Tranny + rear.

What you are actually checking in a manual is the front diff which requires different oil.

a lot of people not familiar with Subarus do not realize that what resides behind the engine is not the tranny.

I'm not 100% sure what you are getting at... but on a manual transmission the front diff is part of the tranny because they can use the same gear oil.

On an AT the front diff is separate, because the tranny needs ATF and the front diff needs gear oil.

stupid question.. but what size is the bolt on the transmission drain bolt for the 95?

I tried a 19mm socket and it was still too small.

Then use a bigger one.... :p

I don't remember, just used bigger ones till one fit.

19mm is the largest socket I have in my set.. I'd have to go try and buy or return and try.

I found out it's 21mm and it must be some aftermarket bolt.. went to the dealer and they had none in stock so I just went with the 21mm socket cheaper too :p

If you have a Manual tranny and are able to check the tranny fluid. DO NOT AT FLUID. that is not the tranny. that is the "front diff". In Subaru AWD cars it goes Engine + Front Diff +Tranny + rear.

What you are actually checking in a manual is the front diff which requires different oil.

a lot of people not familiar with Subarus do not realize that what resides behind the engine is not the tranny.

The transmission is behind the engine. The front differential is part of the transmission, as it resides in the same case as the rest of the gears. The front differential lies directly in-between both front CV shafts. It has a dipstick that is considerably shorter than the transmission dipstick, and it will say "Diff" on the handle. This takes GL-5 80 weight gear oil. In the automatic transmission, it holds about 1.3 quarts, and has a 21MM drain bolt on the bottom of the transmission.

Archived