LegacyGT.com

Bad up pipe cat

swaq

Hi, I just bought a 2005 Legacy GT. It is currently sitting at a shop I trust and the mechanic says the pre-turbo cat is bad. I wanted to just replace that with a catless uppipe, but the shop isn't allowed to do that for me. Is there an aftermarket uppipe with a high flow cat that will bolt in? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum. I'm not aware of any HFC UPs available. The main problem with having a cat pre-turbo is that it can break apart and destroy your turbo.

I'd go to a different shop that will put a catless one on there. No point in going through the trouble of replacing an UP to put another catted one on IMO.

Thanks for the welcome.

The car isn't running and I'm in another state so I can't really just take it to another shop. The mechanic didn't say there was anything wrong with the turbo, but I'll ask next time I call.

I would wait until I got it back and do it myself, but I need to drive it 1500 miles to get home, so I don't want to run the risk. I'm considering getting a used cat for the drive home (might be nice to have on hand too).

STI and some WRX uppipes works too, right? If they won't replace it with a catless find someone else in the area who will, or a member. It will still pass emissions but needs o2 sensor bung, right? I have to get mine out of there too. Dumb place for a cat.

Won't it throw a code if they just swapped in a 2007 uppipe?

If I wanted to take the car to another shop I'd have to have it towed (again). The car is in Portland, Oregon and I'm in Tucson, Arizona. I've used this shop before when I lived in Beaverton and I trust their work.

I agree it's a stupid place for a cat. Even the mechanic thought it was a very odd placement. Might be nice to have one on hand to pass emissions though.

Tell them to install an up-pipe from a 2007 and up car.. they just so happen to be catless, but it's oem :)

I think the 04+ WRX/STI UPs might be catless as well. I'm sure some are, I just don't know for sure which years.

But yeah, catless OEM is a great idea. :)

The UP doesn't have an O2 bung, it has an EGT bung. I think the OEM UPs all have EGT bungs as well but I'm not certain of that either. My Invidia UP has one though.

They are probably worried about either emission laws or it coming back on them with another problem.

Just supply them with the pipe of your choice and ask them to install it.

I may have missed this answer but what is wrong with it?

Legally they are not allowed to change anything related to emissions controls.

I just bought a used stock uppipe from a member here. I will have the shop install that for me so that I'll feel safe driving the car home. I'll probably leave it on for emissions and then swap it out for a catless uppipe.

I asked the shop about the turbo and he said it looked in excellent condition inside and out and that he thought it may have been replaced not too long ago.

Thanks everyone for your replies. The wait to drive this car has been killing me. I've owned the car for a month already and I haven't even seen it. It'll still be a couple more weeks until it's ready.

Damn sorry to hear that. That's not a good first experience with the car. :mad:

Broken pickup tube? http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78603&highlight=oil+pickup+tube

I'm not sure, I bought it knowing it wasn't running. I'm not sure if it was the pickup tube. The mechanic said it looked like it had an oil leak, so it might have just been too low on oil.

Better make sure that a newer oil pickup tube has been installed and also it would not hurt to check the banjo bolt as well.

Would the oil pickup tube be included in a short block? Where can I read up on the banjo bolt? Thanks.

Archived