LegacyGT.com

Hawk HPS pads just not cutting it... or are they?

Hugo L.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I miss my stock pads :( Should have gotten stock replacement pads.

Just got the HPS pads installed today, haven't really gotten a chance to break them in though. So far I'm liking them.

You miss stock? :eek:

+1 for HPS :)

im with you man.

hps did what stage 1 did in reverse.

also...during this "cold" braking...is the engine fully warmed up or is it you all are rolling right after ignition? if its the latter i think it may be the engine still pushing and you are pushing on the brakes more to get it to stop.

Wow, you got the XP8. Carbotech rates them at 200 to 1350 F. They are a track pad. Are you getting new rotors too?

Will you be racing your car? I've wanted to race at higher speeds after running autocrosses where I rarely get above 60.

When i first got the car, I was so happy with the brakes. It could stop on a dime! Now I have been through crappy generic pads and now Hawk HPS, and they just dont have the same initial bite that the stock pads had.

When i first got the car, I was so happy with the brakes. It could stop on a dime! Now I have been through crappy generic pads and now Hawk HPS, and they just dont have the same initial bite that the stock pads had.

Really? That's weird, I feel the opposite effect lol :confused:

Richard B., my car is manual. The engine can't push my car when I'm in neutral.

Mighty S, I'll see. When the brake guy who sells them says that the cold bite is better than what I'm running now, I'm inclined to believe him, as he could've just easily sold me another pad.

ScoobyDoobie, stock was downright dangerous. HPSs are not, they just suck IMHO.

Shadow, every car I've had was subjected to a proper bedding procedure after a pad change.

HPS is just basically a stock replacement but cheaper than buying new pads from the stealership.

i run those currently because I don't want increased rotor wear and shorter pad life.

but they're quite bad. Think I'll go with HP+s next time. I actually tracked with HP+ and they held up fine. and this is a car with a big turbo and zero weight reduction.

car for sale. PM me!

Biting the bullet on the XP8s.

+1 ...XP8s are my daily driver pads up front as long as it's not freezing out (actually they do work in cold weather too). I really like them. If you don't brake fairly hard, then certainly go with a lesser pad.

Do they dust a lot? Yes. Do they occassionally make a little noise when coming to a complete stop lightly...on occassion (actually not that much). Do they haul me down great for a street set up...yes! :) I was initially unsure about using XP8 on the street but now I wouldn't go back. If I slap in a lesser pad I'm quickly underwhelmed.

+1 ...XP8s are my daily driver pads up front as long as it's not freezing out (actually they do work in cold weather too). I really like them. If you don't brake fairly hard, then certainly go with a lesser pad.

Do they dust a lot? Yes. Do they occassionally make a little noise when coming to a complete stop lightly...on occassion (actually not that much). Do they haul me down great for a street set up...yes! :) I was initially unsure about using XP8 on the street but now I wouldn't go back. If I slap in a lesser pad I'm quickly underwhelmed.

Just wait till you put your Wilwoods on. Wilwood + XP8, OMG. :eek:

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

I haven't run the piston sizes through a brake force calculator, but I am convinced the stock LGT setup is poorly engineered (or not quite optimized). Sure it works, but I think the piston sizes are not matched well to the MC bore size and or stock pedal ratio. Anyone else play with all of this yet?

My mother has a 94 BMW 525i with OEM-0style replacement pads, slightly more aggressive than stock. The initial bite when you tap on the pedal will send you through the windshield.

I have properly installed and bedded in Hawk HPS on my LGT. The initial bite isn't anywhere near as harsh. But it remains firm like it's supposed to. But I don't think for a second that means her car brakes better than mine. Having a strong initial bite doesn't mean that the car is going to stop sooner or any more consistently than another car with less initial bite.

I prefer having the pedal this way. And also, I never had any problems with the brakes not feeling responsive in the cold... and it has dropped down to significantly below freezing here before.

The only thing that bothered me originally was that the pedal felt mushy... but the mushiness has been reduced to acceptable levels now.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Hugo... HPS not so hot. I though they were better than the stock pads, but the only way to get any decent feel and initial bite out of them is to perform a couple of quasi-hard stops to get them hot. THEN they finally acquire initial bite and a firmer pedal, and stop much quicker.

So I may look to HP + or ?? Not sure Bobcats are much better... or are they? Anyone have experience with CT Ax6?? Cold stopping and initial bite?

I just went through this too. Got HPS as a replacement for stock (time to do brakes all around at approx 50K last summer). Something with the R1 Concept rotors on the front went wrong (HPS pads), and they were mainly wearing the outer 1/2" of the rotors. After 10K, I could still see he cross-hatch towards the inner part of the rotors. Warm them up some, and they grabbed fine.

So, I bit the bullet, and got new rotors (brakeswap.com fronts, R1 Concepts rears) and new Bobcats for the front. The HPS on the back were fine, just the rotors were past the wear limit and were making tons of noise due to rust, etc.

So, now I have new rotors + Bobcat on the front, HPS on the back. Quite happy with it so far. The Bobcats DEFINITELY grab better than the HPS when cold. Will NOT go back to HPS.

I agree with Hugo... HPS not so hot. I though they were better than the stock pads, but the only way to get any decent feel and initial bite out of them is to perform a couple of quasi-hard stops to get them hot. THEN they finally acquire initial bite and a firmer pedal, and stop much quicker.

So I may look to HP + or ?? Not sure Bobcats are much better... or are they? Anyone have experience with CT Ax6?? Cold stopping and initial bite?

I had Bobcats and when they wore out replaced them with HPS. Bobcats were better - certainly in regard to initial bite. However, I was not that crazy about the Bobcats either though they were an improvement over stock. Didn't want to go with a more aggressive pad because of noise and dust but probably should have stuck with the Bobcats. Perhaps I'll replace the fronts with them. Not sure.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Noise and dust aren't huge factors for me. Unless of course they sound like fingernails on chalkboard... then we might have a problem. ;)

Mainly, strong initial bite and firm pedal feel combined with decent cold-weather stopping is what I'm after. Not sure if that's possible or not.

Noise and dust aren't huge factors for me. Unless of course they sound like fingernails on chalkboard... then we might have a problem. ;)

Mainly, strong initial bite and firm pedal feel combined with decent cold-weather stopping is what I'm after. Not sure if that's possible or not.

If you dont care about noise/dust then the AX6 might be an option to consider. I know some guys who run XP8s on the street too, but that is getting into fingernails on chalkboard territory.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Archived