LegacyGT.com

1983 944 questions

I know there are alot of porsche fans on this forum so i thought i would give this a try. I have been trying to research the car as far as maintanence and common problems and all i keep getting is a paragraph that bascially explains the car is a bitch to repair because most shops dont have the correct tools to fix a porsche. But none of the sites have told me what often needs fixing.

So im looking for common problems, easy fixes, free mods, best place to get cheap parts for it. And if things do need to be replaced i would much rather replace them with something better and stronger since the car will eventually be making alot more power than its current 145hp 4 cylinder. So if you can swap in rear ends or any drivetrain parts from other cars that can hold more power and fit nicely that info would be most welcomed.

As for the car, its red with black leather, 5 speed, removable top with storage bag, new speakers and deck and amp. New clutch, timing job just done, new fuel pump, filter, lines. The car is clean, no rust. Its a non turbo, runs and drives great.

Thanks for the help

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep in mind that the transmission is in the back so a rear end swap is not trivial.

Why is the tranny in the rear? The 83 944 was a front engine car, so i thought the tranny would be right behind the engine.

And as far as engine and tranny go im replacing those next winter. IWSS is gonna hate me for this lol

Why? Ask Porsche :lol:

That kinda turns me off in purchaseing the car. How the hell do i get a t-56 tranny in the biatch lol

I guess from reading abouT the swap you cant, everyone jsut keeps the little porsche 5 speed which wont hold up to the poWer of a v8.

You can delete this thread now mods

Weight distribution. Same reason the C5 had a rear transaxle.

Yeah i just read that, kinda sucks because i would need to get a lsd turbo transaxle and i dont even know how much power that can handle. But more and mroe i read the more complex and pricey the ls1 swap int oa porsche gets over other cars. Im trying to do this on a budget so im thining the 944 might be out.

Why is the tranny in the rear? The 83 944 was a front engine car, so i thought the tranny would be right behind the engine.

And as far as engine and tranny go im replacing those next winter. IWSS is gonna hate me for this lol

The tranny is in the rear for weight distribution. You see the Germans, unlike Americans expect their cars to be able to go around corners and such.:lol:

The tranny is in the rear for weight distribution. You see the Germans, unlike Americans expect their cars to be able to go around corners and such.:lol:

Yes and then they stick them with a 147hp engine thats unreliable and still costs 7grand to replace when the car is 25 years old :lol:. And as stated before the c5 vette had the same setup.

Thats basically what i want though, a somewhat good looking, somewhat strong, lightweight chassis with the awesomeness of a ls1.

Yes and then they stick them with a 147hp engine thats unreliable and still costs 7grand to replace when the car is 25 years old :lol:. And as stated before the c5 vette had the same setup.

Well for 1983 those specs are not bad at all. Funny that the Germans were only 20 years ahead of GM on the rear mounted transmission.:lol:

Well for 1983 those specs are not bad at all. Funny that the Germans were only 20 years ahead of GM on the rear mounted transmission.:lol:

In 1954 the vette was fuel injected and made of fiberglass, GM once was the leader in car tech, even over the mighty germans. Who does or doesnt have the best and newest tech changes as time goes on.

Thats basically what i want though, a somewhat good looking, somewhat strong, lightweight chassis with the awesomeness of a ls1.

The 924/944 is an Audi bastard of a Porsche... That may explain a lot...

453747.png

In 1954 the vette was fuel injected and made of fiberglass, GM once was the leader in car tech, even over the mighty germans. Who does or doesnt have the best and newest tech changes as time goes on.

.... Mercedes-Benz had fuel injection in 1955, I see no mention of the Corvette having fuel injection until 1957. Also of note is that Daimler-Benz was producing fuel injected aero engines since the 1930's.

.... Mercedes-Benz had fuel injection in 1955, I see no mention of the Corvette having fuel injection until 1957. Also of note is that Daimler-Benz was producing fuel injected aero engines since the 1930's.

Yep, Benz did have it first

The transaxle is in the rear, connected at the opposite end of the driveshaft as the engine. The transmission is still behind the engine, WAY behind the engine.

It gives the car a very good weight distribution, same as the 928 and 924 and 968. Corvette didn't do it until C5 generation, after Porsche had run the 928 for more than a decade with that layout.

The 944 has an adapted Porsche engine. They say it isn't derived from half of the 928's V8, but it isn't that far off... The 924 had the Audi/VW sourced engine, and narrow fenders, and less standard features, but also lighter weight. The body shell is pretty much the same otherwise.

The early cars are ok, but the later cars, (either 84.5 or 85.5... I forget when they changed over, mid year...) with the oval dashboard, have nicer detail features, not to mention the 86-89 Turbos.

If you are going to molest one to put an SBC into, at least it is an early car, and not a later or turbo car... :rolleyes:

LOL i have never owned a ls1 car that didnt come with a ls1 from factory.

I have never owned one that did ;)

You can do an Ls1 swap, you just need to use the 944 (or 968) Turbo transmission. renegade Hybrids sells everything you need. Some on here bought a converted 944 and it is nice :)

The transaxle is in the rear, connected at the opposite end of the driveshaft as the engine. The transmission is still behind the engine, WAY behind the engine.

It gives the car a very good weight distribution, same as the 928 and 924 and 968. Corvette didn't do it until C5 generation, after Porsche had run the 928 for more than a decade with that layout.

The 944 has an adapted Porsche engine. They say it isn't derived from half of the 928's V8, but it isn't that far off... The 924 had the Audi/VW sourced engine, and narrow fenders, and less standard features, but also lighter weight. The body shell is pretty much the same otherwise.

The early cars are ok, but the later cars, (either 84.5 or 85.5... I forget when they changed over, mid year...) with the oval dashboard, have nicer detail features, not to mention the 86-89 Turbos.

If you are going to molest one to put an SBC into, at least it is an early car, and not a later or turbo car... :rolleyes:

Yeah atleast lol. The only cheap 944 i cant find thats a 5 speed are earlier model non turbos. And i dont wanna convert an auto car over to manual i have done it but i havent ever done it on a porsche or a car with a rear mounted transaxle. Im just trying to build a badass car on a budget. I can get all the parts together for around 4grand. I want to run the car at some of the local circuit tracks. I think i could dominate the class my friend is in. RWD, naturally aspirated, under 475crank hp. He won 4 events and 1 championship last year in his 350 monte carlo ss which only puts out around 400hp and weighs 3700lbs and im sure the porsche could handle better than it aswell

You are afraid of swapping an auto car to manual? Come on :lol:

Like i said i have done it before, just not on a porsche and not on a car with a rear transaxle setup like that. Im more afraid thats its just more hours i would be underneath the car while my girlfriend is yelling im tired of watching your daughter while you lay under this damn car lol

Archived