LegacyGT.com

1983 944 questions

Sorry for the threadjack Guru, but i couldnt resist given the topic at hand..

Funny thing is i am going to look at an 86 944 turbo tomorrow.... It has 90k on the odom, red, no body rust, but the brakes need replacing, as well as the fan relay, and the oil cooler line needing to be installed (he has new line) and the seller is local and only wants $3200...

Like i said i am going to check it out tomorrow ill snap some pics and post them up... i want it bad... but we will see... what does everyone think? good price?

/threadjack...

Its cool, you wouldnt wanna sell that tranny by any chance? lol

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my opinion on your quest here guru... i say go for it...

if its starting to become to much and your going to look at other chasis.. how bout a Z car.. like a 280? you mentioned you didnt want to do a 240 or 7 because its a bit played out, but you dont see to many 280s

and its great to see IWSS around again..where were you?

For my opinion on your quest here guru... i say go for it...

if its starting to become to much and your going to look at other chasis.. how bout a Z car.. like a 270? you mentioned you didnt want to do a 240 or 7 because its a bit played out, but you dont see to many 270s

and its great to see IWSS around again..where were you?

There's no such thing as a 270z. 240/260/280z and then the horrid boulevardier 280zx. IMO, the 240 is by far the best w/ the pre-1974 bumpers.

There's no such thing as a 270z. 240/260/280z and then the horrid boulevardier 280zx. IMO, the 240 is by far the best w/ the pre-1974 bumpers.

He probably meant 280z, for a 280z with no or little rust people still want some money for those. Im looking for a cheap car that runs well so i can beat on it until winter.

yea i was thinking of the 280... thanks for that correction jesse... you certainly know your datsun's :lol:

GURU: it sounds to me like you really want another T/A.. but are looking for alternatives, and in the end you will probably get another T/A :lol:

yea i was thinking of the 280... thanks for that correction jesse... you certainly know your datsun's :lol:

GURU: it sounds to me like you really want another T/A.. but are looking for alternatives, and in the end you will probably get another T/A :lol:

Thats not what i want at all, the trans am to me has 3 things, the ls1/t-56 combo is a great one and very strong, i love the way my 2000 t/a looked and i love t-tops even more than my supras targa top. So engine/trans, looks and t-tops. but the rest of the car was dated, interior, live axle suspension(even though for a drag car its awesome), rattles, brakes were ok and handling was ok.

I just wanna put the ls1 in a car that deserves it. A 2700lbs car that can handle great. I know people with ls1 240s and with just bolt ons and drag radials the can run 11.5-11.8s easy. Thats not to say thats all i want to do with the car, it just shows how fast it can be compared to high 12s in 3600lbs f-body.

good points.. you and i are in the same market right now.. i am looking for a track car... light, nimble, emphasis on handling over power... except you want more POWAH :lol:

what about a miata? people swap those all the time..

i keep coming back to late 80s rx7 supra 240 all pretty typical... thats why the 944 is appealing, because its different.. what about a RWD toyota from the late 80s, like a sprinter or whatever they were called? obviously an AE86 would be harder to come by in the condition you want..

good points.. you and i are in the same market right now.. i am looking for a track car... light, nimble, emphasis on handling over power... except you want more POWAH :lol:

what about a miata? people swap those all the time..

i keep coming back to late 80s rx7 supra 240 all pretty typical... thats why the 944 is appealing, because its different.. what about a RWD toyota from the late 80s, like a sprinter or whatever they were called? obviously an AE86 would be harder to come by in the condition you want..

I need a back seat, funny you say that though my friend pauly was goin to do a 5.0 swap on his miata but he is selling it to pay for the new bottom end on his 468 big block project. He offered the car to me for cheap but i dont like miata and i need a back seat.

As far as late 80s toyotas, i had a 517rwhp 87 supra and i still work on the car often since its my friends car now. The old engine and turbo were sold he just ordered a 1jz that we are putting in that car soon. Thats one of my summer projects. As for the sprinter can you say ugly as all hell

I need a back seat, funny you say that though my friend pauly was goin to do a 5.0 swap on his miata but he is selling it to pay for the new bottom end on his 468 big block project. He offered the car to me for cheap but i dont like miata and i need a back seat.

As far as late 80s toyotas, i had a 517rwhp 87 supra and i still work on the car often since its my friends car now. The old engine and turbo were sold he just ordered a 1jz that we are putting in that car soon. Thats one of my summer projects. As for the sprinter can you say ugly as all hell

forgot about you wanting a back seat...

you said he is swapping in a 1jz into the supra, what motor did it have previously the 7m? i love that motor

:lol: at your sprinter comment..

forgot about you wanting a back seat...

you said he is swapping in a 1jz into the supra, what motor did it have previously the 7m? i love that motor

:lol: at your sprinter comment..

Yes when i owned the car it had the 7mgte turbo. The car has no rust anywhere, targa 5 speed. I had a pt-67 turbo, cams, internals, fuel system, bigger frount mount, supporting mods. It was a very fast car but tony wasnt nice to it and didnt log it like i did. Ended up putting a whole in piston 3 and 5 and doing some bad damage to the cylinder walls. So now its getting a stock 1jz, its the newer model not the twin turbo version that came in the supra. Its a single turbo 280hp and 280trq. So its going from 517whp to about 260whp(with the bolt ons hes adding to it). It will be alot slower until he saves up the money for more mods. But the 1jz is better at taking abuse than the 7mgte.

1jz and 2 jz engines are very simular, the block is almost identical but the 2jz has a longer stroke which is why its a 3.0liter and the 1jz is a 2.5. The 2jz and 1jz pistons are the same dimentions. The 2jz head was also a toyota copy of the yamaha 1jz head.

Basically the 1jz was designed to rev high and fast and make power at higher rpms, it was a more track oriented engine. The 2jz was setup for more low end trq and driveability.

Archived