LegacyGT.com

Best Tire Size for 18x8.5 Wheels

phoenix96

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yokohama S.drives in 245/35R18.

hmmmm.... sectional width is 9.9".

abakja1 is running Falken F452 245/35R18 on a +44 18X8.5 wheel and IIRC didn't require any fender rolling but not sure about alignment. Sectional width for that tire is 9.6" claimed by manufacturer.

hmmmm.... sectional width is 9.9".

abakja1 is running Falken F452 245/35R18 on a +44 18X8.5 wheel and IIRC didn't require any fender rolling but not sure about alignment. Sectional width for that tire is 9.6" claimed by manufacturer.

Hmm, and with a +44 offset his wheels should be sticking out .16" further than mine. Maybe the sectional width difference is just enough to prevent it from rubbing? Or he's got more negative camber, perhaps.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

• 2 weeks later...
To update, I rolled the rear fenders and the rubbing is almost entirely gone now (I *think* I still hear something on the worst dips but even that I'm not sure about).

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Sorry to bring this thread up, but I am almost in the same boat where I am probably going to have to roll my fenders.

I ordered a set of Volk ce28n's (18 x 8, 44 offset) through a local shop, and the ones that showed up were 18 x 8.5, 44 offset. At first I thought ok, only 1/2" and I can safely fit 255 tire on instead of my intended 245 tires.

I test fit a wheel (no tires yet) in the front and rear. The rear I think will work if I roll my fenders and will sit almost flush and will look really nice. The fronts however seem to protrude about 3/8". I know that I will have to roll the fronts, but when all is said and done, when the weight of the car is on the wheels, will they sit like this when looking at the car head on? (not as exaggerated): / - - - - \

or, would I have to get some negative camber in the front? I think I may have to stick with a 245 tire cause I don't want any problems to be amplified more than what they already are.

As another note I am lowered on tein flex coilovers so I can adjust the ride height. Currently I have just about zero wheel gap.

Maybe because 255 > 235??

More grip yo! :lol:

^^^this.

might as well take full advantage of the wheel that you have. I just don't want them sticking out past the fenders.

So, back to my original question.. 245's would probably be the safest bet, but for the front no matter what size I go with I think that the fender will have to be rolled.

Sorry to bring this thread up, but I am almost in the same boat where I am probably going to have to roll my fenders.

I ordered a set of Volk ce28n's (18 x 8, 44 offset) through a local shop, and the ones that showed up were 18 x 8.5, 44 offset. At first I thought ok, only 1/2" and I can safely fit 255 tire on instead of my intended 245 tires.

I test fit a wheel (no tires yet) in the front and rear. The rear I think will work if I roll my fenders and will sit almost flush and will look really nice. The fronts however seem to protrude about 3/8". I know that I will have to roll the fronts, but when all is said and done, when the weight of the car is on the wheels, will they sit like this when looking at the car head on? (not as exaggerated): / - - - -

or, would I have to get some negative camber in the front? I think I may have to stick with a 245 tire cause I don't want any problems to be amplified more than what they already are.

As another note I am lowered on tein flex coilovers so I can adjust the ride height. Currently I have just about zero wheel gap.

bump... anybody have any info on my question? (dont mean to threadjack, i am in the same boat as the op, but just lowered, a lot)

depending on how much you are lowered, you will need negative camber and a moderate fender roll/pull.

Right now I have almost no wheel gap. Negative camber would effect my tire life, correct?

The rears I think will be perfect with a fender roll, the front at the very top sticks out slightly, maybe 5mm? (this is when the car is jacked up though, when there is weight on the suspension don't the wheels kind of tilt in ever so slightly? Just from typing this I am thinking I should be safer with a 245 tire and maybe it will tuck under the front fender (after rolling of course) on larger bumps opposed to a 255 tire that will more likely "bulge" more and rub.

well, it depends on how you drve and your alignment. if you drive hard and track/autox the car, you will still get generally a good even wear, but if its just a commuter car and you dont take turns fast and hard frequently, then it will wear the tire unevenly.

Well, i have 245/40/17 tires and race on 245/35/18 tires. i also have -2.5 camber and a good fender roll and im lowered about as far as you'd ever want to go. all this for autox. with the rolled fenders, i confident i could fit a 255 wide tire in my fenders with no rub. As long as you car isnt lowered too much, have the right camber setting and roll your fenders, you sould have no problems with a 255 wide tire.

Hmm.. maybe I will raise my car just a tad. The other thing is tire cost. I was looking at the Kumho Ecsta SX in size 245/35/18 and they go for about 165 each. Most tires in the 255/35/18 size and extreme summer performance class are significantly more expensive, like $60 or much more per tire. So I would be looking at an extra 300 bucks at least if I went that route.

yep, there is always the cost/benefit thing. To me, it would make more sense if you were autox/tracking the car with this setup, but i plan to do this too with both my DD and autox rim/tires. If you got the $$$ to spend, i say go for it.

I do autox the car maybe 8 times during the season, plus I do want a good tire for daily driving. I was looking at the Kumho Ecsta XS (it is actually one of the few Extremem Performance summer tires available in size 245/35/18, and is $163 per on tirerack.com); A jump up to a 255 tire I could get the Dunlop Star specs which I hear are phenominal from people that I see using them at events and others on this board, but then the Dunlops in 255/35/18 run $225 per, so that is $248 difference for a set of tires. I would have to think about this one.

But either way fender rolling I think is defenitely going to have to happen. I will try to post some pics next weekend of the wheels mounted up (without tires) and maybe you guys can give me some input.

• 1 month later...
randomly saw this thread... you gotta lower that thing by 2 inches+ to worry about rubbing anything. I would have gotten 235/35/18 just so it can be lowered another 1/2" to tuck the tires in more and make the 18x8.5 flush better with the fender. but might need more offset when you lower to that extend.

Yeah, a tire stretch may aesthetically look good, but in my opinion it is counter productive. What is the point in getting a 8.5" or 9" wide wheel and not using it to its full potential, ie "stretching" a 225 tire on there instead of using a 245 or 255 tire that will give you that much more of a contact patch. I don't know, that is just me, function over form.

• 7 months later...

Another thread bump. Exactly what I was looking for.

I am thinking about Rota Grids 18x8.5" +44

I have a 2008 SpecB with bone stock suspension in the rear, and pinks in the front. Car is actually level somehow... lol. My front rode way high from the factory.

Being that I am not slammed to the ground, that will help on rubbing. I plan on keeping this suspension setup.

It looks like 245/35/18 is the preferred tire size, as "the man" keefe has spoken. It seems 235/40/18 is another good option - and you get a little more sidewall. Since I live in the city, 235/40 might be more preferred.

With the specB suspension, and those wheel specs, what is the best tire I can use without rolling fenders? Or will I have to roll no matter what....

Thanks in advance.

EDIT - crap this post makes it look like I would need to roll. Guess its the low offset.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2837340&postcount=375

Despite an earlier post where I thought I would have to roll my rears, I didn't. I am running 235/40/18 Vredestein Sessantas on my 18x8.5 Rota DPTs, and have no problems with my fenders and I have Ions.

Despite an earlier post where I thought I would have to roll my rears, I didn't. I am running 235/40/18 Vredestein Sessantas on my 18x8.5 Rota DPTs, and have no problems with my fenders and I have Ions.

Thanks for the update... though those are +48 correct? That is probably what kept you from having to roll.

Archived