LegacyGT.com

She wants a convertible

The wife said she wants a convertible. Last summer she let me get my '88 Carrera. Since our 401ks are now 201ks might as well spend it. Her criteria is it needs to seat four (2 kids), should be sporty and fun to drive. I immediately thought M3.

Plus & Minuses, E46 vs 36, 30, how much $$$ is a good deal, problem areas, etc...

Your thoughts... Go!

http://www.classiccargallery.com/details.php?id=109&g=1

e36 M3's are old cheap and slow. If she doesn't want to compete with the mghte Spec b, just get a regular e36 convertible. E46's are faster and more expensive, same thing though - I'd go with a non m3 convertible. At this point e30's are mostly project cars and not worth the trouble and they are painfully slow.

The car in the link looks just fine, but I would save some money and get a non M convertible.

I'd go with a non m3 convertible.

I may have to drive it occasionally. I thought I could just point to the 'M' badge and not have to turn in my Man Card for driving a chick car.

I may have to drive it occasionally. I thought I could just point to the 'M' badge and not have to turn in my Man Card for driving a chick car.

Put an m badge on it then, some of the 3 series car have the same damn engine as the m3.

Would you consider a Saab 9/3? I bought my wife a 9/3 SE rag top with the Sport package....wider wheels, HO motor, different suspension. I have to say it's pretty well though out except for the ign switch. The top is first rate, power, never leaks water and pretty quiet. Looks like pure sex when the top is down too.

3 years old with 35,000 miles for $12,900!

^ Nice!

VW Eos pretty... and pretty pricey.

The figure that keeps jumping out at me is 333hp for the M3. (please keep that # between us, don't tell her, all she need to know is it's only a 6 cylinder and gets good gas mileage).

Fock the Eos, they are total crap. I work for VW and all we do with them is warranty fixes on 'em. Every single one either has a bad blower motor, a fragged window regulator or a check engine light on. What about a Cooper S cabrio? My hardtop MINI was a blast to rally in the twisties.;):lol:

Fock the Eos, they are total crap. I work for VW and all we do with them is warranty fixes on 'em. Every single one either has a bad blower motor, a fragged window regulator or a check engine light on. What about a Cooper S cabrio? My hardtop MINI was a blast to rally in the twisties.;):lol:

Yikes! I didn't know the newer VWs have such a bad rep. I am actually eyeing the new Mk VI Golf GTD when it gets here. I have heard that the MINIs have quality issues too... maybe it's prev gen ones.

I have enough drama for now.....

I'll freely state that my MINI gave me 0 issues in 2 years and roughly 20-23K miles. Granted, it rarely saw above 3k RPM and was babied every day. If you check the forums, the early (07-08) newer cars have engine issues but should be pretty much sorted out by now. The best cars are still the 05-06 cars because the S had the best gearing in those years. I'm at work but I'll whore a couple pics of my MINI on here later tonight.

Didn't the 1st minis have a 1.6L Chrysler design(read Neon) motor built by BMW?

Yep. 2002-2006 was a 1.6 Chrysler designed and built by BMW. The 2007+ cars feature a powerplant from Peugeot. Both motors are pretty beefy and can make some serious power when built to the hilt.;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33lTY-AH4g]YouTube - ABF Performance MINI COOPER at PINKS all out Englishtown, NJ[/ame]

Archived